7 Posts

Space Cadets: Away Missions» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant idea(s) to increase planning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien Regnard
msg tools
mb
In this tiny variant, when a turn starts, all characters perform their scanning action in the turn order specified by the scan tokens.

Then all the characters perform the rest of their turn like in the normal game.

Scanning all tiles at once allow to reveal all encounters for this turn as well as discovery items, so you can plan better. Increases the tactical possibilities in a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Performing all scan actions at once
Interesting variant.

It will certainly help out the Rocketeers a good deal as they'll have plenty of notice where the major threats appear each turn. Plus, will all aliens scanned at once, it will make effects like the Brain's Psychic Burst a lot more effective.

Curious to hear how it goes in live play. Please post a report with your findings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Rose
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, in scenarios where speed is essential this variant could be detrimental. Rocketeers wont be able to use overkills to move other Rocketeers before they scan. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Regnard
msg tools
mb
I am still playing (and enjoying tremendously) the campaign.
Just toying with variant/custom scenario ideas... this game feels very customizable, with many possibilities of scenarios and little gameplay alterations.

Generally speaking, altering the scanning process (with a corresponding difficulty increase) allows to change the strategic requirements of the game in a very easy way.
Like in the infestation scenario where all tiles are visible.

I wonder if it is possible to have a scenario with a higher difficulty (more aliens for example), and at the same time more visible information (for example all alien tokens are visible, but aliens only appear in game when the tile is scanned).

I suppose it is much easier to break everything than obtain something enjoyable, but I can't help thinking about it.
I did not know I would be discussing my half-baked ideas with you the designers, I feel rather uncomfortable now

Come on, it's your fault, this box is like filled with legos for the brain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
juls2 wrote:
Come on, it's your fault, this box is like filled with legos for the brain!

We are guilty as charged!

But here is a challenge from me: rather than use the printed scenario missions and tweak the game engine to customize them, why not try to create a new scenario or two that "scratches the itch"?

To be honest, we always assumed that fans of the game would start to post new mission maps/special rules once they worked their way through the published missions.

Either way, thanks for your interest and support!

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:
To be honest, we always assumed that fans of the game would start to post new mission maps/special rules once they worked their way through the published missions.

I wonder if part of why that hasn't happened is because unlike many scenario based games, you actually included a heap of them in the box. So many others just have 3-4 (with the first one being a tutorial), that you feel like the game is less a complete game and more of a modders kit.

Having said that, if someone were to upload a handful to lovingly crafted new scenarios, I wouldn't say no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I wonder if part of why that hasn't happened is because unlike many scenario based games, you actually included a heap of them in the box. So many others just have 3-4 (with the first one being a tutorial), that you feel like the game is less a complete game and more of a modders kit.

I think you may be right!

As long-time gamers, we tried to give players what we'd want to see in the box, and as it always irked us when a mission-based game only had a few scenarios, we opted to go the other way.

cafin8d wrote:
Having said that, if someone were to upload a handful to lovingly crafted new scenarios, I wouldn't say no

Gaze into the shiny space-mirror, Rocketeer! Be the first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.