Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Crowdfunding: Kickstarter» Forums » General

Subject: Need help on EU VAT exemption. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C WX
Singapore
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys, I read somewhere that for products between 10-22eur, they will be exempted from any form of taxes. Is there any where I can find a list on the various countries with the VAT threshold? Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a general rule. I know for sure it is not valid for Danemark and Sweden.

This is quite a complicated matter, but you will find all relevant info here;:

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/customs/customs_duties/...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For Germany this value is correct but it's the total value of a shipment (so including any transport charges), so EUR 22,--.

Above EUR 22,-- (again including shipping) you have to pay VAT.

I have no idea how other EU states handle this though whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C WX
Singapore
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:
It is not a general rule. I know for sure it is not valid for Danemark and Sweden.

This is quite a complicated matter, but you will find all relevant info here;:

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/customs/customs_duties/...


Thanks! Will look thru the link.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C WX
Singapore
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickZ wrote:
For Germany this value is correct but it's the total value of a shipment (so including any transport charges), so EUR 22,--.

Above EUR 22,-- (again including shipping) you have to pay VAT.

I have no idea how other EU states handle this though whistle


For customs declaration, we only declare the value of the item excl. shipping(at least for my country). If 22 eur is incl. shipping, that means they determine the customs value + postage fee as shown on the stamps?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
A├člar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chanwx wrote:
For customs declaration, we only declare the value of the item excl. shipping(at least for my country). If 22 eur is incl. shipping, that means they determine the customs value + postage fee as shown on the stamps?

If there is no other value to go by, then yes. Actually the declaration and the value of the item is mostly meaningless for the tax calculation. For Germany it works like this: The customs value is what someone paid to get an item delivered to Germany. This is whatever was paid for the item plus whatever was paid for shipping.
Whether or not that customs value has anything to do with the actual value of the item and the actual shipping costs doesn't really matter (as long as there are no reasons to suspect huge discrepancies).

For example, I recently won two big box games in the G4GG lotteries on BGG. Since it was a large box, it got held up by customs. But I was able to show them that I won the items and didn't pay anything and so there was no tax regardless of their value and the paid shipping costs because it wasn't paid by me.
Or when GMT Games once paid about $60 for shipping but had only charged me $18 for shipping, the $18 was the number that went into the customs value calculation.

How it works in real life is that someone at customs will have the item in his hands, read the declaration of the contents and their value and then make a judgement call if that seems to match the size and weight of the box or not. If a large box says "$5", there will probably be questions :)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. It is noteworthy that this mostly applies to boxes. "Letters" in envelopes usually fly under the radar. However, customs hold back a package, people have to fetch it and bring an invoice. On Kickstarter that is a print-out from your pledge (which usually also includes shipping). You can read how it works here: http://www.boardgamecircus.com/import (for Germany).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.