$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoilers in the thread title - I won't be using spoiler tags within posts.

So, played this last night. We figured out who the burglar was, that it was linked to hypnotism etc, but didn't spot the Doctor as the killer, we thought it was Loretta.

I've seen suggestions on here that
i) There was a previous edition of the game where Loretta WAS the killer
ii) There are leads that have been changed in other-language versions of the game, but not in the English version (and that the changed culprit without the changed leads can be confusing).

Without getting into how good or bad the case as printed is (I started wading through a 5-page thread on this, but drowned in a sea of text hidden behind spoiler tags, can someone confirm:

1.) Was Loretta originally the killer?
2.) What changes were made in other-language versions of this case that didn't make it to the English re-print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) yes, she was

2) It depends which version you have, changes have been made in the most recent printing of the game also for the english one (there is a 2016-2 code on the one that includes the changes).

The two main changes I can recall that were not changed in the initial Ystari printing:
- in the original version there were 2 wineglasses found with the body (indicating Loretta was there), in the new one there is only one
- In the old one Loretta was the one that was present during the events that her sister has been hypnotised before the last one, in the new printing the Doctor is there with Frances at the solicitor when they make arrangements for him to become the guardian of Loretta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calvert quist
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought this game, got the 2016-1 version, and just played case 3. Since I noticed on BGG/Ystari's site that the 2016-1 needs errata I printed out the one provided on BGG for case 3.

We finished case 3 and got the correct solution using the errata, yay!

What's interesting is after the fact I reread the original pages that were replaced and I noticed very little was changed, in fact I think the actual case book might have gotten us to the answer quicker. Maybe I just missed what was changed but here's what I noticed:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Visiting Old Bailey:
Case Book: Frances mentions one of the places she woke up from a blackout was Hiram Davenport's.
BGG Errata: She only mentions waking up in Waterloo station and Hyde Park, both of which are dead ends. (Hiram is mentioned still in the errata just not in relation to blackout, so we put off visiting him for longer)

Visiting Hiram Davenport:
Both: Dr T is there in both with Frances (my understanding is this is not the case in earlier editions)

Visiting Crime scene:
Both: There is only one wine glass mentioned (my understanding is this is not the case in earlier editions, either)

Visiting Somerset House (we did not visit here our run through)
Case book: Only mentions father's will to Loretta and Frances
Errata: Also mentions change to girl's will to go to Dr T.

As far as I can tell Case 3 is completely solvable with the way it is written in 2016-1.

Can someone enlighten me if there was something I missed as I looked through the case book?

I'm still planning on printing out the errata for case 6 as well, but I am wondering if it is also already fixed in 2016-1. ( No spoilers for case 6 please)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Pascall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Strange... It sounds like you have the updated case book, even though yours is printed at 2016-1.

Did the errata replacement pages fit perfectly in with your casebook. For instance, did the pages start and end with the same words? Or was there overlap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calvert quist
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was some overlap but it was close enough to not concern us at the time.

Going back and checking it now:

All errata start the same as the case book.

The SW page ends the same.

The WC page in the case book only has the first two lines of the last location, so when we moved from the errata to the case book we were re-reading the rest of the first paragraph that was included in the errata.

The EC page in the case book starts the next sentence after the errata ends, so when leaving the errata to the case book its mid-sentence and needed to look at the case book to see how that sentence began.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Pascall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You have an updated casebook then. All errata pages should end at the same spot as the pages they are replacements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.