6 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Starter Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt I
msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anyone here hope WK will make a second starter set?
If they did make a second set, what do you think/hope it would include?

Let me know what three ships you would include in a new starter set.
Pick Three factions, and then one ship from each faction. Also try to not pick a ship that would over power the other two or one that is vastly under-powered from the other two.

If they made a Starter Set II this is what I hope it would include:

Factions: Dominion, Borg, Independent

Dominion:
Groumall (Cardassian Military Freighter)
Captain: Gul Dukat (Init 9) (Yeah I know, another Dukat)
Talent: Combat Drills - While an Auxiliary Power Token is next to your ship, you may place a battle station token next to your ship

Borg:
Assimilated Vessel Arctic One (Enterprise: Regeneration)
Generic ship would be Earth Science Vessel or the non-assimilated Acrtic One.
Captain: Borg Drone (or one of the assimilated Earth Researchers)

Independent:
Either a Suliban Cell-Ship or Ro Laren's Maquis Raider

Suliban Cell-ship
Captain/Admiral: Silik (Initiative 7)

Alpha-Seven (Maquis Raider)
Captain: Ro Laren (Initiative 6, 5SP)(Tripe-Faction Independent, Bajoran, Federation) - Ro Laren's ship may use Federation, Independent or Bajoran upgrades without a faction penalty. If Ro Laren is assigned to an Independent ship, is considered Bajoran.

Hopefully it would include some new cards that are unique and non-unique to make picking up a second set worth while. Since the Dominion and Borg tend to have very large and expensive ships I think having at least one small hull ship would add some more variety to their faction. For the independents since the Tholians and Maquis ships already lean towards swarm tactics adding the Cell-ship to the independent factions might be a good mix and finally giving them an admiral to get them fleet actions without paying a faction penalty for it.

Let me know what you think of my choice and what yours would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with a starter, they need to catch people's eye with ship models that people know well... The suggestions you have aren't instantly recognisable when sitting on a shelf (while having interesting potential as additions to the game in an expansion maybe?)...

The current starter is good for what it is, maybe you could do a TOS theme?

TOS Enterprise
Klingon D7
Romulan BoP (TOS)

These are iconic ships in their own right (maybe a remodel for the enterprise would be required to catch the eyes more!!).

I think an Enterprise is an absolute requirement, as for many people, that is part of what Star Trek is. A good comparison is the X-Wing starters. They are the "same" in general ship type and use space frames that nearly anyone would recognise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Sharitt
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Repeating what I've said in this forum before, I'd like to faction starters for a few major faction that have lots of ships(so Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Dominion, but not Bajoran or Feringi). Have a 3 ships that sort of show case different facets within the faction and that can be used to build a 120pt tournament ready fleet out of the box. That way somebody who wants to get started playing against their friends(who already have ships) right away can pick up one box and go, where the current starter isn't great for that. If somebody wants to get into the game and wants a Dominion fleet, the current starter isn't a great deal just to get some dice, maneuver templates and a damage deck. I think faction starter sets would help revive the game in the many places it's failing if somebody could pick up a starter that really playable out of the box instead of having to buy the starter, then another 2 or 3 ships on top of that. The "multiplayer demo" starter set definitely has its place, but I think Attack Wing is mature enough that single player "tournament ready" starters should be a thing. Even Games Workshop has gotten the single player starter set right with their new Start Collecting boxes, and when GW is ahead of you on the customer friendly curve you might want to do something(though I realize that WizKids can often be as bad as GW about not caring about its customer base).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
^ What he said. If they are going to go through the effort of making new stater sets, they really should be Faction themed. It would go a long way to get new players into the game if they could have a playable fleet right out of the box. It doesn't have to be tournament level or anything, just playable in a casual setting and then they can expand upon it to customize the fleet to their personal style.

I do like the idea of a ToS themed starter too. Maybe they could do one for each show/era? A DS9 themed one would be interesting too with the Defiant, A Galor Class, and something else in there. The you could have a Voyager themed one with Voyager, a Khazon ship, and maybe a borg scout or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wizkids could always make a few themed starter sets and basically utilize existing stand alone expansions in the process and sell them for 35 bucks US by just focusing on 2 ships.

Enterprise A-Refit and Reliant - Wrath of Khan Starter

Enterprise E and Scimitar - Nemesis Starter

Are 2 examples, the boxes could be rectangular and have the ships at slight angles facing off against one another for an eye catching effect.

In the meantime, swap out the repaints in the existing stater and throw that "50 year" badge on it Wizkids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bsharitt wrote:
Even Games Workshop has gotten the single player starter set right with their new Start Collecting boxes, and when GW is ahead of you on the customer friendly curve you might want to do something(though I realize that WizKids can often be as bad as GW about not caring about its customer base).

While I like the single-faction starter idea, I've got to say a $85 set that I still need to assemble is not my idea of an entry point. But I suppose it is an (expensive) entry point to building models, which is GW's main concern...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.