Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're having a Kickstarter, raising money for your game. Will it help your cause if there's a free downloadable print-and-play version available on the Kickstarter page?

Thanks for your time!

Poll: Will a free PnP version help to get your kickstarter funded?
1. Have you funded/bought games on Kickstarter?
Yes, more than a few.
Yes, but only a few.
No, but I've followed some projects.
No, not interested in kickstarter.
2. Have you ever tried to release a game on Kickstarter?
Yes, succesfully.
Yes, but it didn't get funded.
No, but I'm thinking/daydreaming about trying it someday.
No, I'd rather play games than design them.
3. Do you consider yourself a Print-and-player?
Yes, PnP'ing is a hobby of mine and I have a gameshelf dedicated to them.
Yes, I've PnP'ed my fair share of games.
Yes, I've PnP'ed some, but not a lot.
No, but I've tried it.
No, but I'm willing to try.
No, it's too much of a hassle.
4. Will a free PnP version help fund your kickstarter? In case of a simple cheap game with only a few components. Think of a card game, or a small box game with easily available components.
Yes, you'll get more backers
Doesn't influence the number of backers
No, you'll get less backers
5. Will a free PnP version help fund your kickstarter? In case of a complex game with lots of components. Think of a miniatures game, or a big box game with peculiar components.
Yes, you'll get more backers
Doesn't influence the number of backers
No, you'll get less backers
      48 answers
Poll created by Geert Vinaskov
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've backed many games, and am always appreciative of a free PnP, even though I rarely actually make them. It tells me that the creator is confident in their game, and allows me to get a proper look at it, on the understanding that the final game is likely to be more polished. I usually look at the PnP materials if I can when deciding whether to back.

Of course, if your game sucks, the PnP would be a nail in its coffin. But your game doesn't suck, does it?

Incidentally, on your question 2, I wanted a different answer: I love designing games, would love to get some of them published, but have absolutely no desire to run a Kickstarter myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's another element too - I'm not a print and play-er (haven't done it, not sure if I ever will - I'm in the "may try it someday" category), but I actually appreciate having print and play cards available because I can look over the components and the cards for quality and text and function and get a better idea of how the cards might play. Even though I can't see the actual gameplay, I can usually get a good idea by looking at the cards combined with reviews to see if it's worth it to me! For example, I recently backed Unfair (which looks amazing, btw.), and the reviews made me think it was a game I would like. Therefore, I looked at the print and play cards, as well as the rulebook, and that helped me decide to back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A PnP version on the Kickstarter is a huge benefit. I can see the rules, I can see how the game works, and I can see if I like the art. More than that, though, it tells me that you've given this some thought. You're ready to commit. You've done your homework and you're ready to make a game.

I have backed games that didn't have PnP versions (like, a lot), but I would always rather back one that did. I am 98% unlikely to print it and put it together, and I'm only about 20% likely to open it at all. But just the fact that you're willing to post it up there greatly increases my odds of backing the project.

The only way it hurts you to have a PnP version during the Kickstarter is if your game is crap. If I'm not sure, if I'm on the fence, I'll look through the PnP file, deliberately looking for sloppy typos, poor wording, or budget art. If I spot flaws in a game I'm already doubting, I'm out. So if you do post a PnP, proof the hell out of it. And don't try to sell a crappy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
Of course, if your game sucks, the PnP would be a nail in its coffin. But your game doesn't suck, does it?

No, we're confident it doesn't suck. We're talking about this game, designed by a friend of mine: PIXIE QUEEN (you can see pictures of our homemade prototypes). We were demoing this weekend at a convention in Brussels, and one guy who loves PnP'ing came up to us and said we should make a PnP version available.

We just never really thought about it, and I like to rely on numbers and stats instead of opinions. Hence this poll.

polyobsessive wrote:
Incidentally, on your question 2, I wanted a different answer: I love designing games, would love to get some of them published, but have absolutely no desire to run a Kickstarter myself.

I know exactly what you mean. I was doubting whether to write "design" or "publish" there, but thought the current option would make the intent of the question clearer.

VixenTorGames wrote:
I am 98% unlikely to print it and put it together, and I'm only about 20% likely to open it at all. But just the fact that you're willing to post it up there greatly increases my odds of backing the project. (...) If I'm not sure, if I'm on the fence, I'll look through the PnP file, deliberately looking for sloppy typos, poor wording, or budget art.
Since you "use" PnP files to check the quality of the game, instead of actually printing it, does it matter to you that it is "printable". Would you also be content with source files, or a copy of the rulebook?

Some other polls:

Poll: Do you consider a downloadable full rulebook necessary for a kickstarter?
Do you consider a downloadable full rulebook necessary for a kickstarter?
Yes, if the full rulebook isn't available, I won't back it.
Yes, but it's not a dealbreaker if I can get the rules somewhere else (e.g. video, review).
No, not necessary, but it is useful and maybe I'll read them.
No, I don't care about the full rulebook. A general outline of the rules is enough.
      12 answers

Would you appreciate a free artless PnP? (thus the complete game, but without art)
Poll
PnP without art?
Yes, a lot!
Yes, kind of.
No, that's a bit too dry.
No, not at all.
      12 answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about making available a paid PnP version? I mean, a pledge that offers to buy the full game as PnP, also included in higher tiers.

I like PnP a lot, but I like it to craft complete games. Being only able to craft a raw prototype and then having to buy a physical version of the game takes away from me all incentive for spending some hours printing, cutting and sleeving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Medvinskiy
United States
Folcroft
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I prefer to back games with PnP. Actually, most of my pledges this year was for PnP tier. I prefer to make TTS module and play it with my friends - it is cheaper and easier than paying for game+shipping and trying to get all friends in one place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollyhock wrote:
What about making available a paid PnP version? I mean, a pledge that offers to buy the full game as PnP, also included in higher tiers.
Is this something that has been done before? Are other kickstarters doing this?

As I'm reading this thread, it appears that a lot of kickstarters give free "full" PnP's already, instead of asking money for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Hollyhock wrote:

As I'm reading this thread, it appears that a lot of kickstarters give free "full" PnP's already, instead of asking money for them.

I have never seen a crowdfunded game offering for free a full graphics PnP version. That is essentially giving away your game for free. Free PnPs are incomplete graphically (prototypes) or mechanically (demos).

But I have seen many games selling full graphics, paid PnP pledges. I remember Villages, The Agents, BattleCON, Odball Aeronauts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Hollyhock wrote:

Depending on the size of your game and shipping costs, offering a paid PNP could be the difference between people backing and not backing.

When we ran the Kickstarter for Avignon, the way postal fees worked, it would have cost more than the game did to ship anywhere but the US. So we had a black and white PNP for free and a full art version for $3 (with the game costing $10 for a physical copy). Our European backers weren't thrilled, but they were happier than they'd have been paying $24 for a $10 game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Since you "use" PnP files to check the quality of the game, instead of actually printing it, does it matter to you that it is "printable". Would you also be content with source files, or a copy of the rulebook?

Nope. Not in the least. I do want to see some art, but that's because I tend to back stuff like dungeon crawls more than stuff like Euro-style card games, and the art is an important part of the experience. But you don't have to give me all the art, and I don't need to be able to actually assemble the game.

Big caveat - most of the Kickstarters that I back, especially the ones I back for loads of money, come with miniatures. In fact, I backed Massive Darkness based solely on the miniatures, because at the price, the game could suck and I still walk away with a pile of sweet plastic. I have skipped some mini-heavy games because the game looked boring, but my point is that my decision driver is not always based on gameplay or rules readability. Other people, especially those who are depending a lot more heavily on the actual game, might have a very different opinion.

Now, if I wanted to test the game to see if I liked it, an unprintable PnP would just irritate the crap out of me. But I don't actually play the PnP versions, so I don't care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.