Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the week behind us it's time to post your week's mini-session reports and stories to answer our favorite question:

mbmbWhat did you play this week?

mbAdditional WDYPTW information:

mbmbtobacco This week's WDYPTW Geeklist
mbmbtobacco WDYPTW subscription thread
mbmbtobacco The WDYPTW Guild

Looking to rediscover a gaming rhythm around here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back on a more gaming friendly schedule...

Thursday
1x - Deus - mb

Friday
1x - Castles of Burgundy - Wife's and my 100th 2p game!

Saturday
2x - The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game - Solo

Sunday
1x - The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game - Solo

It was nice to return to our coffee and a game routine. We'll have to focus on our 10x10 list and play 2-3 games/week to make the progress necessary to complete the challenge. It will be another close one.

meeple Keep playing...
BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2016 List at 55/100
BK's Top 50 Games - 2016 Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday Invisible legions (RPG)
Wednesday Rapid fire
Thursday Star Wars edge of empire (RPG)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruxelles gaming festival this weekend, so it was a rich weekend

Pixie Queen
Robin
Kharnage
Via Nebula (and hated every second of it)
Histrio
Million Club
LIXSO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 2 days of gaming (+1 party game), 7 plays of 7 games, I won 4 of them. Plus, 4 of these are in my top 10. Nothing for my 10x10 challenge.

Wednesday

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
Dungeon Lords
Five Tribes

Thursday

Valley of the Kings: Afterlife
Evolution
Blood Rage

Saturday

Time's Up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Friday
Targi. Decided to go with a victory point strategy (that probably sounds kind of obvious) instead of always ditching the starting victory points during raids. Beat my wife by a good margin which doesn't happen often with this one. Still don't know why I waited so long to get this game. 11 total plays.

Saturday
Jaipur. Swept up 2-0 in this match. 21 total plays.

Sunday
Glass Road x3. We usually play two games back to back with this one since it's fairly quick with two players. First game we played we tied 19.5 to 19.5. Second game we tied 20.5 to 20.5. I told my wife that we could break the tie with another game, she wasn't having any of that. In the third game we beat me 22 to 19. I think our scores can be low at times because we get pretty mean with this one. What a lovely game this is! 72 total plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
bkunes wrote:

1x - Castles of Burgundy - Wife's and my 100th 2p game!

Awesome work. We have a few games with 100 plays as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Village x 1 [New to me]
Alien Frontiers x 1 (Zorg solo variant new to me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Krause
United States
GRAND RAPIDS
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday:

Stockpile: I brought this out at Gencon and the store manager at my local game store is obsessed with it.

Scythe: First time playing. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Friday:
Stockpile x2: A few more games with the store manager and some new customers.

Orleans: First time playing with the deluxe set I had a blast.

Saturday:

Stockpile x2 : We had sometime to kill before people got there for the big part of game night

Bloodborn: We had a minor rules fub at the begininig, but after we figured it out it seemed like a fun little dungeon crawl. I just wish there were more cards. One play through and I'm already tired of the weapons that come in the base set.

Machi Koro + expansions: My wife stopped by the shop so we busted out one of her favorites.

Empires: Age of Discovery: My first time both playing and teaching. The game went well although it does show it's age a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2x Cuba Libre
2x Klask
1x Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend was light but fun, although sadly I emerged victorious only once in all of my forays:

Stratego Card Game (this was my only win of the week.)
It could be that my re-theme inspires me to great deeds of legend.
Or maybe I was just lucky. whistle

Alhambra x 2
Because you can never have enough Alhambra!

Harbour x 3
One of my more recent acquisitions and a fast favorite with my group!

Age of War
For a light press-your-luck dice game, it's a blast!
...although not so much of a blast losing to inanimate opponents:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanAtta
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday:
Bohnanza x1
Star Trek Panic x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Marvel Legendary Villans x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun times!!!

WEDNESDAY:
Bloodborne: The Card Game
-Pretty cool, sort of push-your-luck, game. I definitely need to play again to get the full grasp, but I enjoyed it.

Quartermaster General with Quartermaster General: Air Marshal 1st! (for the expansion)
-I really love what the Air Marshall expansion adds. It's not too much new stuff, and it builds right on what the game already does. I played the U.S., which is not one of my favorite factions, but it was pretty cool. I didn't realize beforehand, that new stuff focuses a lot on the Pacific, which is not really what I was doing with the U.S., but it was fun.

SATURDAY:
Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu 1st!
-I really like this version of Pandemic, quite possibly more than regular Pandemic. It still severely suffers from the Alpha Gamer problem of one player kind of telling everyone what to do, which I hate in Co-ops. But the theme comes through pretty nicely, and it's streamlined and simpler, compared to regular Pandemic, and I really like that about it.

Quartermaster General with Quartermaster General: Air Marshal
-We played this again, and I played the Soviets this time and absolutely dominated! Both my teammates were new players, but they did a pretty good job for their first time. Germany and Italy weren't putting enough pressure on my as the Soviets, so I was free to take Ukraine, India, and at one point, China, giving us a pretty nice lead. Lots of fun, I'm excited to play the Alternate Histories.

Unpublished Prototype
-Had the chance to test my game again, this time with 2 players (first time playing with 2 players). Got some really really fantastic feedback. I'm really enjoying the progress the game is making.

Long Shot 1st!
-This was probably my favorite game of the day. It was just so much fun placing bets and hoping my horse wins, and changing the outcome. Really simple design, but a ton of fun!

Dragon Racer 1st!
-This one was interesting. It was a take on drafting I hadn't seen before. Basically, you draft cards, and then use those cards to match symbols, which lets you move your dragons. It was a pretty simple design, but not bad, and there's more to think about than you initially think. I enjoyed it.

Animals on Board 1st!
-I really liked this one! It's just really interesting, splitting up the animals, and seeing if people realize what you're trying to do. One thing I did a lot was just splitting one at a time, just to get food, so my opponents would put their flag up, and I'd be free to choose whatever I want. Very cool game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 x Mansions of Madness: Second Edition

1 x Dominion

I don't know how u feel about the MOM2E app. I see the benefits of it, but part of me didn't like playing the majority of the game on a tablet. Still had plenty of fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Sunday
Word on the Street x1
Pay Day X1
Love Letter X1
Superfight X1
Betrayal at House on the Hill x1
BANG! The Dice Game x2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Totty
United States
Krum
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1x Eldritch Horror
1x Patchwork
1x Star Wars: Imperial Assault – Return to Hoth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben T

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
A fairly slow week, only got to play a couple evenings. That said, I spent a good chunk of my free time getting Mage Knight sleeved and organized, so hopefully will get the chance to break that out soon.

But as for the games I did play:
Pandemic x1
I played a solo game of Pandemic, just to make sure I understood the rules well enough to eventually play with my wife. I won pretty easily on the intro scenario, playing the Scientist and Medic roles, but I would have gotten stomped in even Standard difficulty, as I was running low on player cards, even if the board wasn't ever threatening (I believe I had 2 outbreaks total). Definitely will play again, if I can get my wife past the "apocalypse" theme, which she isn't a fan of.

Patchwork x3
The wife and I played Patchwork for the first time on Saturday night. I bought this game on a whim, and wasn't sure if it would be too light, but I'm very glad I picked it up! Patchwork plays fast, the rules are super tight, and the game is aesthetically pleasing. It was a huge hit with the wife, and will definitely go alongside Carcasonne as a go-to favorite. Now if only I didn't lose both of the non-intro games by an embarrassingly large amount...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not a lot of games last week. But more than I'll play this week.

Tuesday:
Escape from Cubeville
CV
Just Desserts

Saturday:
Age of War
Kingdom Builder
Dead of Winter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rallyman
First multiplayer play. I am now very happy I grabbed this at auction. It's a simple-to-play, fun game and gets the feel of a WRC stage rally.

Brass Empire
Played my sister's copy. I am now sad that I elected to bow out of backing when she told me she was. Yes, I can go play her copy, but I want my own. There's enough Dominion in the recipe that both my son and I immediately grokked the majority of the rules, and the differences were just additional fun spice to the deck builder concept. It didn't hurt that I definitively won. whistle

Scythe
Got two new players in on this. We had tons of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
game night cancelled on account of football game, so only played one game, At the Gates of Loyang. This was my first time with the solo play rules yesterday, and I realized I messed up about halfway through, so never actually finished. trying again later this week. enjoy it, but dang there is a lot going on to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Armada x1
Kan Jam x2
7 Wonders Duel x1
Isle of Skye x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
All this talk of 100 plays of Castles of Burgundy gave me an idea:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/213432/century-club-games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough!!!

Scythe x 2 on Friday and that was it

Next weekend should be better with the long weekend. I really want to try out Polis (had it since the end of May and haven't been able to get it to the table yet)... and my kickstarted copy of In the Name of Odin is looking at me accusingly every time I pass it.

So many games to play... so little time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuclear War | 8p (with "1 player" really playing as a team of 2) | 1h 36
IIRC, this was the latest, or one of the latest editions, with a picture of an actual nuclear station console on the play mat!

1000 White Blank Cards | 6p | 45 minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.