Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vangelis Papajohn
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi everyone.

While reading the rules, I found it clear that the Captain's abilities may be used only once per battle.

However there is a difference in the example in Fantasy Flight's rulebook (pages 13-14). The Visconti player uses the melee bonus of his captain (Acuto) in two different melee assaults.

Is this merely a mistake in the rulebook, or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Moro
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,
captain's Ranged ability is used once, because only one ranged attack is allowed.
Melee modifier is applied in all the melee assaults.
I'm referring to the Italian FFG edition, I guess there are no differences.
Hope this help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Papajohn
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I think it does help.
So far it seems that I have been misled by the rule "the modifiers are cumulative, but they apply only to the total value of the Troop" (p.11).
After your reply I noticed that "unlike the other modifiers, each resistance modifier can only be used once per battle", ergo the melee modifier can be used more than once. I suppose this is also the case for the terrain modifiers, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Papajohn
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Also, another question occurred to me. Is it compulsory to use the resistance modifier in the first assault, or can the player freely decide when to use it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Moro
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow... I missed this one..
I finally compared the italian version and the english version. Well, in the first one is missing the statement "Unlike the other modifiers, each resistance modifier can only be used once per battle."
This is a pretty difference.. We always played with permanent effect ^^'
Now I better understand your first question...

So, to sum up:

Attack modifiers:
- Ranged: used once per battle, during the ranged assault (Cumulative, captain+terrain)
- Melee: used in all the melee assaults (Cumulative, captain+terrain)

Resistance modifier: Who knows? Surely they are used once per battle, first the terrain modifier, then the captain modifier.. but why specify the order?
First answer: they can be used freely. The player decide "if" and "when". So, to easily remember which one is already used, the rules impose an order.
Second answer: first assault -> terrain modifier; second assault-> captain's modifier

I prefer the first.. fearing that the second is the correct one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Papajohn
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, it is quite clearer now.

Still, there is the question about the resistance modifier. I think I'll go with your preference, as well. At least until someone else gives some insight.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Menoncin
Italy
tradate
VA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Greetings. I always used the first one :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Papajohn
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, Alberto!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.