Subject: Atman - split (photos) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.
Judging by the number of questions posed, splitting of the atman is quite a confusing subject.
Would someone be able to post a handful of photographic examples of atmans with valid and unvalid splits as I'm struggling to get my head around the text-based examples given in this forum?
Alternatively, i can post some photos and then could someone 'judge' each to see if these are considered split or not?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: altman -> atman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't post a photo, but if I say it like this, is it clearer:

If you look at the cards straight from above, with no knowledge where any completely covered cards are hiding, do you see a spot in the atman where two cards are lying only side by side, and not overlapping at all?

ALL cards in the Atman must overlap, or be overlapped by, at least one other card. If any card is lying "on its own" (even if there is a card beneath, that you know of, but can't see), then the Atman must be split there.

Makes sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying and that does make sense. The scenario I'm thinking is where two uncovered cards aren't side by side but are the topmost cards so only cover cards beneath.
Also, if just side by side cards count when splitting, does this have to be one entire side?

Finally, has there been a decisive answer on whether splits only count after Ren takes a card rather than at building stage?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
mrwendal wrote:
Thanks for replying and that does make sense. The scenario I'm thinking is where two uncovered cards aren't side by side but are the topmost cards so only cover cards beneath.
Also, if just side by side cards count when splitting, does this have to be one entire side?

Finally, has there been a decisive answer on whether splits only count after Ren takes a card rather than at building stage?

Thanks.

Just consider what's visible:
If the visible cards don't overlap, split the Atman.
Ren chooses one section to keep and discards the rest.
If any covered cards are revealed, they remain in place if they overlap with the section Ren is keeping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrwendal wrote:

It's immediate. You can actually build yourself into a split. In fact, it's so common that it's one of Feth's challenges – to not build-split the Atman unless you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
mrwendal wrote:

It's immediate. You can actually build yourself into a split. In fact, it's so common that it's one of Feth's challenges – to not build-split the Atman unless you want to.

So, is this considered after each card lay, or when Feth has laid all the cards he wants in that turn? I assume that either way, Ren chooses the piles to keep/discard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mb
mrwendal wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
mrwendal wrote:

So, is this considered after each card lay, or when Feth has laid all the cards he wants in that turn? I assume that either way, Ren chooses the piles to keep/discard?

After each card; and yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
mrwendal wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
mrwendal wrote:

After each card; and yes.

So; in this video about 4mins 15secs in, when the guy lays the second to last card on the Atman, was that an illegal move (ie there are two cards side by side both uncovered)?
https://youtu.be/aO9dDZMCbKw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's a still which looks like a split or two has been built but it wasn't split until all cards were laid.
Also, the guy takes a card and then out of shot says there's a split; but it atill looks like there's a split as two cards are still left side by side on short edge.
Why was it not a split when built,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mb
I believe that when he lays the red 2 he causes the green 1 to be split from the rest of the Atman, and this should be resolved before continuing.

I might be wrong though; they could still be considered connected by the card on the bottom, which is still visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the edits; dodnt think anyone would reply that quickly.
That's the trouble with this game; there's a lot of "i think" rather than definitives! Absolutely no disrespect to anyone here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GREAT SUCCESS!

Have just found this video which is by one of the publishers, Osprey.
All the rules are clearly laid out, including Atman splits and confirmation these occur on 'Ren build' and 'Feth take' actions.
Hurrah! Thanks all for the help.
https://youtu.be/RzXG98eJG70
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrwendal wrote:

Here's a still which looks like a split or two has been built but it wasn't split until all cards were laid.
Also, the guy takes a card and then out of shot says there's a split; but it atill looks like there's a split as two cards are still left side by side on short edge.
Why was it not a split when built,

First, it's not sure that the video is right.

Second, that still is NOT a split. You can see the connecting card lying beneath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read all the above and now seeing the Osprey video, it's clear these are connected, so i agree with you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrwendal wrote:
Having read all the above and now seeing the Osprey video, it's clear these are connected, so i agree with you!

I better check that Osprey video then, as I haven't played this and it looks as though I need to before/as I read the rules!!

M B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mudshark_baby wrote:
mrwendal wrote:

I better check that Osprey video then, as I haven't played this and it looks as though I need to before/as I read the rules!!

M B

Defintely do the Osprey one. It's the clearest of all the ones I looked at. Although if we ever get around to rebooking a session I can now teach you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrwendal wrote:
mudshark_baby wrote:
mrwendal wrote:

M B

Defintely do the Osprey one. It's the clearest of all the ones I looked at. Although if we ever get around to rebooking a session I can now teach you!

Ta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.