8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Asking for some thoughts/opinions about a boardgame idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quy Tran
msg tools
Hello,

Recently, I have an idea and I just don't know that if it's new and good. So, I would like to have some thoughts/opinions about it, hope you guys could help me.

The game called Undercover and it's a bluffing and pretending game

I will try to simulate a 7-player game's round:
Player A is the main spy
The Secret Task is drawn from the pile
Player A choose 2 decoy as player B and C to join the Undercover team
Player D E F G are witnesses, they close their eyes after The Undercover team has formed.
A B C use their gesture to choose B as the one who will do the task
B do the task
Witness open their eyes, They now will have to choose the person who did the task among A B and C, while the U-Team (A B and C) try to trick them to choose the wrong one.
Distributing point: each round, there are points in the reward equal to the number of witnesses. At the end of the round, each witnesses who guess correctly take a point. If there are any left, each decoy take a point (The spy pick which one get it if there is any conflict). The rest in the reward belong to the spy.
Each player become the spy 2 times, the one with highest score wins.

As for the task cards, I have several examples from non-accent task to faking someone/something's sounds:
"Avoid detection: quick! Cops are coming! Pretend to be a bicious dog! Bark 3 times!"
"pika pika chuuu"
"Faking alibi: I'm totally didn't steal that file, officers! I was at the doctor the whole time! *cough 3 times*"
"Destroy evidence: stomp really hard"
"Shoot a traitor: make a gunshot sound"

That's pretty much everything for now, thanks for still reading til this point, looking forward to reading your comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there is a game that uses a simmilar approach. But not exactly the same.

The Resistance

And of course Werewolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Young
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Omega2064 wrote:
Yes there is a game that uses a simmilar approach. But not exactly the same.

The Resistance

And of course Werewolf.

He posted this elsewhere and that's more or less what I said. Play these games and figure out what you like and dislike about them, then improve/expand on them where you see fit, add or subtract elements where you see fit, give the game your theme, then ship it back to us here on BGG so we can give feedback. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quy Tran
msg tools
Appreciate all your feedbacks,
I've tried those games and yeah, I'll take more time to think and come back later,
Thank you all again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Young
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
okalyo wrote:
Appreciate all your feedbacks,
I've tried those games and yeah, I'll take more time to think and come back later,
Thank you all again.

I hope you do. My friends and I love games like this, and I wouldn't mind adding another to my collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J'te Gage Que... migth also be a game you want to look at. Same idea, but not in teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okalyo wrote:
Hello,

Recently, I have an idea and I just don't know that if it's new and good. So, I would like to have some thoughts/opinions about it, hope you guys could help me.

Player A is the main spy
Player D E F G are witnesses, they close their eyes after The Undercover team has formed.
B do the task
Witness open their eyes, They now will have to choose the person who did the task among A B and C, while the U-Team (A B and C) try to trick them to choose the wrong one.
Distributing point: each round, there are points in the reward equal to the number of witnesses. At the end of the round, each witnesses who guess correctly take a point. If there are any left, each decoy take a point (The spy pick which one get it if there is any conflict). The rest in the reward belong to the spy.

As for the task cards, I have several examples from non-accent task to faking someone/something's sounds:
"Avoid detection: quick! Cops are coming! Pretend to be a bicious dog! Bark 3 times!"
"pika pika chuuu"
"Faking alibi: I'm totally didn't steal that file, officers! I was at the doctor the whole time! *cough 3 times*"

That's pretty much everything for now, thanks for still reading til this point, looking forward to reading your comments.

Cute. It's not werewolf, nor resistance.

There's certainly some social/deduction going on.

Some "meta" questions for you to consider:

-- How many players would be ideal for this game?
.... with your example of 7, it would take 14 rounds (each player being the main spy two times) ... and if a round takes 5 minutes, this game would take at least 1 hour.

-- How long should a game take?
.... Yes, it would depend on number of players. But consider how long this kind of activity would be entertaining... and when would it become stale.

-- Is the game vulnerable to "cliques"? Meaning ... should you allow the game to devolve into a battle between two teams?
.... There is a case where the Undercover Teams are consistently the same group of people. A,B,C can decide to always choose each other when their turn comes up. D,E,F might retaliate by always choosing each other as well. So if you have a 7th player, they might feel left out of that.

-- Can you think of other "tasks" ... stuff that doesn't involve sound.
Like:
.... Touch the Witnesses.
.... Write a sentence on the chalkboard/paper.
.... Go to imdb, pick a movie.

All that said, I might still find Dixit to be a better way of playing a game like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quy Tran
msg tools
Stormtower wrote:
okalyo wrote:
Hello,

Player A is the main spy
B do the task

"pika pika chuuu"

Cute. It's not werewolf, nor resistance.

There's certainly some social/deduction going on.

Some "meta" questions for you to consider:

-- How many players would be ideal for this game?
.... with your example of 7, it would take 14 rounds (each player being the main spy two times) ... and if a round takes 5 minutes, this game would take at least 1 hour.

-- How long should a game take?
.... Yes, it would depend on number of players. But consider how long this kind of activity would be entertaining... and when would it become stale.

-- Is the game vulnerable to "cliques"? Meaning ... should you allow the game to devolve into a battle between two teams?
.... There is a case where the Undercover Teams are consistently the same group of people. A,B,C can decide to always choose each other when their turn comes up. D,E,F might retaliate by always choosing each other as well. So if you have a 7th player, they might feel left out of that.

-- Can you think of other "tasks" ... stuff that doesn't involve sound.
Like:
.... Touch the Witnesses.
.... Write a sentence on the chalkboard/paper.
.... Go to imdb, pick a movie.

All that said, I might still find Dixit to be a better way of playing a game like this.

For your advice, there're some solution such as:
The Witness choose the spy's decoy
Some non-accent act could be: hit all Witnesses in their shoulder, Stomp his feed, or faking horse feet sound by tapping the table with fingers.
I understand the important of creating good tasks so I'm working on it and you might suggest me some solutions?

There's a problem raised by many comments. They think that it might be too easy to recognize one's sound. Moreover, the game might be too simple to could possibly be a good game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.