Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great opening to a conversation. I look forward to hearing how folks pick up this thread.

I wrote my thoughts down with David Dockter with a sidebar by James Pei in c3i magazine a few years ago.

Well done sir,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spot on Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
Great opening to a conversation. I look forward to hearing how folks pick up this thread.

I wrote my thoughts down with David Dockter with a sidebar by James Pei in c3i magazine a few years ago.

Well done sir,

Mark

I think the issue Mark is referring to is C3i #26, which is easy enough to find but not available online. These earlier articles on For the People strategy are:

http://www.c3iopscenter.com/documents/For%20the%20People%20O...

http://www.c3iopscenter.com/documents/Capital%20Defense.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One correction, I think, to an otherwise excellent piece. This:

Quote:
Here is a secret for all Jeff Davis players - Let Lincoln make a border state loyal to him, then invade it and seize 3 spots. It has the same value as the original blue states, but less of the river problems. If the state in question is West Virginia, this will provide many turns of anguish and vexation for the North, as Lee skips back and forth between threatening DC and invasions on both sides of the Shenandoah ridge.

is not correct based on rule 12.12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess metaphors are fine to use. They predate my comments by a century or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mansfield
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on Paul, these are great lists of initial plays (I have it bookmarked for reference!) I've been playing so many COIN games lately I've been treating the CSA as a COIN like insurgent force, which in some sense they were, at least historically with some of the periphery independently run calvary and raider units.

I've been ignoring the DC corridor, accept for keeping Beauregard in Manassas as long as possible, opting to strike into WV via Strasburg and up into PA, even with losing LOC at times. Same with louisville striking north, once a fort is there. I've been really careful with CSA fort placements, only six and they're so desperately needed in the West. My theory is if I keep enough action going on up north, even with Corp sized moves, I'd tie up Union Army resources from mounting any serious naval threat. Especially because all initial northern generals are 3's and they'll have to choose between using a corps response to any CSA incursion or using those precious 3OC for naval moves/coastal fort assaults. And although losing the capital is bad, it's worse for the north.

I do also agree with the need for some initial defensive preparation; Sabine City, Nashville and Richmond but with the Unions resource capability the CSA won't hold out with a defensive only posture and are to thin on the ground to protect all the entry points. Thus far I prefer to play..."split in two and charge both ways.."

What I need is to play against an experienced player and get schooled, the best way to learn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.