Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played my second game of LoD yesterday, and heeding the advice in the "which faction wins" thread I took the patriots for myself (all the other players were new to COIN) and tried to fight the border war (short scenario). I didn't really work out. The French got an early lead on casualties, effectively locking everybody out from an instant win (as far as I can tell only the Indians have a chance at instant win by mass Raiding in this scenario due to the french being so limited in securing Opposition). After the final winter quarters card the French were still in the lead and thus won.

So, how *should* the patriots play? Washington headed into the Northwest to burn some villages, but the Indians replied with massive Scout actions, dragging some six or eight british cubes into the northwest. After some time I got my army down to the Southwest were they burned a single village. I ended up with positive scores for forts, but at no point did I have a chance to catch up to the french sitting at +5 casualties. I spent about half the time setting up Rabble-rousing/Commitees of Correspondence and the other half fighting Indians, but left the coastal campaign to the french, who won that anyway (using continentals, of course, but not patriot actions).

I think for the next game I'll try to play the french and go for an instant victory. Winning at the end is easy with new people, but can I win an instant victory when the Patriots will not tip the Opposition score if I'm leading on Casualties?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Patriot strategy: How to not be a french patsy
The French can only score an instant victory if Opposition exceeds Support by more than 10. It is possible for the French to achieve that without help from the Patriots by winning big enough Battles, but not particularly easy.

With up to 25 British Regulars (plus some Tories) against 15 French ones, I usually find the French struggling if they don't get Patriot aid in the form of shared Commands and Patriot pieces to guide them. You write that the French "of course" used Continentals, but you can withhold those too if you want...

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Patriot strategy: How to not be a french patsy
Yes, the French struggle to score an instant victory. I think you have to be very sneaky as a frenchman to do that. Winning at the end is a lot simpler - you just need the patriot to to do well at Opposition, while staying ahead on casualties. This is demonstrably what is happening with new players.

What I'm looking for is tips for the Patriot to get around this. What exactly do you have to do to outpace the French on the secondary win conditions (barring a British outright victory)?

Oerjan wrote:
You write that the French "of course" used Continentals, but you can withhold those too if you want...

Um, no? 3.6.2: French may only use Patriot pieces and Leader if Patriots pay. But 3.5.5: For each space Patriot pieces are involved in the Battle (at the French’s option if the Patriots have one or more Resources), the Patriots must also pay one Resource.

Does this not state that the French can use Patriot pieces without their consent, as long as the Patriots have resources?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sure. But the French can only use Continentals that are located in spaces with French Regulars. If you as the Patriot don't want the French to use your Continentals, take your Continentals somewhere else.

More generally, the French depend on the presence of Patriot pieces to be able to move. Since the Patriots have a fairly high degree of control over where their pieces are located, it is quite possible for them to put a complete halt to French offensive operations by denying the French any opportunity to move into British-occupied spaces.

In the same vein, the Royalists can restrict French movements by using Skirmish/Scout/War Path to remove Patriot pieces that would otherwise allow the French to move.

When the French aren't allowed to move where they want to go, it becomes much harder for them to rack up those unbeatable Casualty scores...

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see your point. My thinking as the patriot was that actively sabotaging the French was not on my interest, as there's still those 50 British cubes arrayed against me.

So is there a patriot strategy to simply block any attempt at battle? Using the French and the continentals to discourage British attacks and try to force the war to be fought in the West?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You don't necessarily need to block every attempt at Battle or Skirmish; that could give the initiative in the Colonies entirely to the British, which is a bad thing in the long run.

But there is a wide gap between "actively sabotaging the French" and "not positioning your units in a way that allows the French nearly complete freedom of movement". The French are your allies, not your new colonial masters, and they have no right to treat your Continentals and Militia as their own colonial auxiliary troops. Make sure they understand that! Besides, you need those Militia and Continentals (and Resources!) for your war against the Indians; and if the British happen to beat the French up a bit while you're busy way out West... that's unfortunate, but c'est la vie, non?

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.