Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the going rate on a designer these days?

Just before the publishing stage of my card game I will need a number of characters and card at creating.

What would I expect to pay for about 30 characters and card art for about 50 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean someone to design characters for the game? Or just do the art?

There is no going rate. Everyone has their own ideas and you may have to shop around for someone who fits your cost limits.

In general unless you are going cheap, art can set you back anywhere from 50-200$ a piece. Some artists are more in the 100$ range, some lower, some higher, some much lower and some absurdly higher.

There is no standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant purely the art, but now I think about it there are a lot of variables too. Style, colour, etc..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The problems are thus.

1: Finding someone whos style fits your vision/needs.
2: That someones price range is within your budget.
3: That they can do batches of art.
4: That they can do batches of art in a relatively timely manner (usualy figure about 1 week per piece as a buffer on your time table. Actual paintings can take longer though. Very YMMV.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
5: That isn't a flaky idiot who vanishes mid job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Colmer
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Around CAD / AUD$150 per card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
5: That isn't a flaky idiot who vanishes mid job.

6: Or a flat out crook scamming customers.

Been a few of those recently unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself, a cheapo baseline 25 - 60 US $ for line art (illustration, comic style, whatever), very basic drawing with simplistic coloring (some shading/texturing, but nothing heavy) for card art. Around 60 - 80 for card design, card templates (graphic design), but much cheaper each one if finally is all variants from a base template. For detailed realistic (or fantasy styles but detailed), tends to be 70 to 100 per full card art (this includes character design and the actual card illustration, but not extra sketches for the character). As a plus, can do character studies + blueprints for 3D modelers, but that'd be other numbers, and right to be so, IMO. Around 300 minimum for map board (is a mix of graphic design and illustration, usually). And around 250 - 350 for box art, including design (not for the minimum price). That all is a "max" pricing: I do modify item's price depending on the quantity requested, etc. Very rarely do ask for prepayment, it goes well just being paypal paid after delivering each item (ie card art or a card design, etc).

(Not being professional intrusive, btw, I just have both profiles, and even 3D modeling... Life just required all that...)

In the end, my 3D work has end up being just as an extra advantage for a game author (that so has a do-it-all in the project), but not an area that financially goes well for me: Too many hours...A lot of time for at the end indy pricing, as I don't feel like putting real prices there, either...

Yet though, I need to mention: I don't think those are fair prices for the amount of work that doing those illustrations and graphic design means. I don't see wrong, at all, that someone else might charge 450$ per illustration. I do know our work has that value. Is just a matter of facing what indy development is, in my view, that's how I personally see it, at least. An artist with such high quotes might have gotten great contracts, distribution, amazing contacts, (and good for them!) etc, and can afford that scheme. I like indy projects, though, in every field (not just board games), so that's an extra reason to not feel bad setting low pricing. I DO REALLY LIKE these projects. I plainly have no free time for me and my people, as low prices mean more hours of work/projects to pull some money, of course. Is the pricing I decided to setup to be able keep going and working on projects... And maybe a wrong move, but hey, to each his own.

I rarely speak about this...So specifically. IMHO, there should be way more tolerance with pricing schemes. A bit more respect for the freedom each one has to establish whatever wishes to charge. I think is very naive to think one individual is going to unbalance the whole system for artists, or what is more important, to measure the whole eco system as a matter of pricing. There are a lot more other factors that will determine if an artist, graphic designer, or both things, will end up being successful (and with it I don't mean showing up on TV, just being able to pay the essential bills). More than one time when one mentions a pricing scheme, quotes a bit below to other artists', one ends up often harshly criticized. I've spoken about the matter this specifically not many times... But the issue tends to happen (in other sites/forums)...IMO, if an artist is good, whatever others do charge (each one's business, btw), will succeed, no matter what (cheap or expensive, IMO is NOT the main factor. Quality is.). And if is not the case, other considerations should be made, surely very different to the pricing. Other things which are the ones not allowing a success to the artist or graphic designer, rather than blaming your neighbor for charging lower than you.... //mini rant off.

The above numbers serve you for very little. Each one puts different quotes...It is, IMO, very random and varied.

Quote:
1: Finding someone whos style fits your vision/needs.

Well..there are artists capable of several styles. A good number of us, probably...(haven't checked or made any stats, though...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.