Subject: Starter League #12 (September) - COMPLETE (Villains + Base Set) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Reference wrote:
This league is COMPLETE.
Registration ends September 14th.
Match 1 is due Monday, September 5th.
Match 2 is due Monday, September 12th.
Match 3 is due Monday, September 19th.

Only the Legendary Base Set and Villains set are allowed. You may play with only the Villains set, or include the heroes from the base game in your selections. Regardless, use the Villains city layout for the games.

There are LIMITED special Bystanders in this league. Only the bystanders from the Villains set are allowed! Remove the basic bystanders from the Hero set from the Bystander deck. This allows max VP to stay constant between players, whether you're playing with one or two sets.

October's League will feature Dark City, with the first match due on October 10th.

Welcome to another month and another Starter League! If you've been looking to play in one of the Legendary Leagues here on the site, but you've only got the base set, and maybe an expansion or two, I'm here for you!

If you're new to the "Starter Leagues," these are going to be limited to the Heroes Base Set and up to 1 Expansion. Each league will run for only 3 matches, reducing the amount of time you'll need to finish or catch up if you need to. A new league will start each month, so you'll always have an opportunity to play! Winners gain the ability to set the terms for a future league.

Format
A new Starter league will be posted near the beginning of each month. Some leagues will only use a base set, while others may include 1 expansion set as well. There will be 3 matches in the league, so that it will end within the same month. Each match will have a randomly determined setup, allowing you to pick some of the heroes you'll use to fight the Mastermind.

In Match 1 and 3, you'll pick 2 heroes from those available in the league's sets.
In Match 2, you'll pick 1 hero.

(You can only pick a hero once, so you can't choose to include Spider-Man in Match 1 and 2, for example. The app will present you with a list of options and automatically filter out your previous selections when you attempt to post your results so you don't mess it up.)

Results will be ranked using the Points Per Turn method. So rather than calculating your score using the formula in the back of the rulebook, the app will determine the average amount of points you earned over the number of turns you played the game. Accumulating points as you defeat the Mastermind quickly is key!

More information about the ranking can be seen on the website.

How to Play
To play, head over to http://www.legendaryleagues.com and register an account if you need one using the link in the top right. Then, after logging in, select the league from the front page, then click the Register button from the league details screen!

All games will be played using the Advanced Solo Rules from the Dark City expansion. If you don't have it, those rules (and some other clarifications) are listed on the website. Also, look out for match specific clarifications at the bottom of each match block!

You should only play each match once and report your results.

You'll need to keep track of the following to report your results:
Did you win? (Generally, this means did you defeat the mastermind, but some Schemes have alternate win conditions, like Forge the Infinity Gauntlet.)
How many victory points are in your victory pile?
How many twists did you draw during the match? (And stayed out, in case some get shuffled back in the deck.)
How many enemies escaped?
How many bystanders were carried away by enemies?
How many rounds did it take for you to finish the match?
Which non-random heroes did you use?

Prizes

The player who finishes in 1st place will get to choose the expansion included in the month after next's league. (So November, not October.)

You have Dark City and want to use that? Okay. You only got the Guardians expansion? No problem. Want to spice it up and mix in the Villains set? I like your style. Civil War! Civil War!

The player who finishes in 2nd place will get to choose one card/group from the Mastermind's side to guarantee as included or excluded in the match of their choice.

You hate the Negative Zone, and don't want it used as a scheme? I don't blame you. Let's pitch it. You love the Nega-Bomb? So do I! It's in! You think using Dark City demands fighting Apocalypse in Match 2 where the players have less choice? Wow, that's hard core, but okay.

As always, let me know if you have any questions, and have fun playing!

Match Lineup:

Match 1 - Due Monday night, Sep 05, 2016
Mastermind: Odin
Scheme: Graduation at Xavier's X-Academy
Villain Group: Uncanny Avengers
Henchmen: (3) Asgardian Warrior
Heroes: Mystique
You may select 2 additional Heroes from the list of available Heroes.

Max Turn Count: 20
Max VP: 85
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Uncanny Avengers, 3 Asgardian Warrior, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Notes: Remove the 30 bystanders from the Base Set for these matches. Only use the bystanders from the Villains set.

Match 2 - Due Monday night, Sep 12, 2016
Mastermind: Nick Fury
Scheme: Mass Produce War Machine Armor
Villain Group: Marvel Knights
Henchmen: (10) SHIELD Assault Squad
Heroes: Dr. Octopus , Sabretooth
You may select 1 additional Hero from the list of available Heroes.

Max Turn Count: 28
Max VP: 98
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Marvel Knights, 10 SHIELD Assault Squad, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Notes: Remove the 30 bystanders from the Base Set for these matches. Only use the bystanders from the Villains set.

Match 3 - Due Monday night, Sep 19, 2016
Mastermind: Professor X
Scheme: Resurrect Heroes With the Norn Stones
Villain Group: Defenders
Henchmen: (3) Multiple Man
Heroes: Bullseye

Max Turn Count: 15
Max VP: 91
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Defenders, 3 Multiple Man, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

The match randomizer has smiled upon us and removed the blight of the solo player that is Dr. Strange! Huzzah!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Starter League #12 (September) - NOW OPEN (Villains + Base Set)
No villains, Im out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Winkler
United States
Lehi
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it matter which board we use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch. Stick with the Villains map for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
No villains, Im out.

Likewise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Templeton
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I'm in. I see that the league site has Maria Hill and Madame Hydra available. Does this mean we have both stacks available throughout the game. Also, which starting hand do we use, SHIELD, Hydra or our choice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack delavert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenderthane wrote:
I'm in. I see that the league site has Maria Hill and Madame Hydra available. Does this mean we have both stacks available throughout the game. Also, which starting hand do we use, SHIELD, Hydra or our choice?

If you're using both games, they're both available and you can use either starting hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fun, I'll join!

Note that there seems to be a discrepancy on registration end date though: your post says August 17th, website says September 14th
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed the intro, thanks. I forgot to update that amidst all the copying and the pasting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a general alert: using Wolverine (X-Men hero) to fight Wolverine (Uncanny Avengers adversary) is generally a bad idea. Fun, but not generally effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question: can you select a hero that is mandatory in another match of the set?

Like with Doc Ock being mandatory in game 2, can I still use him in game 1 or 3, or does the mandatory include in game 2 remove him from the list of available heroes to choose from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you can still choose him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Match #1 is done. Before I post my results, 1 question: Each Scheme Twist puts a Bystander in the Overrun pile. Do these count in the scoring or are they "ignored" since they weren't actually carried off? The standings page doesn't show that column for reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they don't count. The wording in the submission page asks for bystanders carried off by villains, and that didn't happen here.

But because the scoring system for this league doesn't use the bystander count, it doesn't really matter. It's only being collected so that it could recalculate with another scoring system if I wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first time, great fun thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Week 1 Results
Fun Fact: Asgardians hate mutants. That's why Marvel is slowly killing off the X-Men, and that's why Odin is trolling the Xavier Academy's graduation ceremony. Fortunately, we have people like alduc to stand up for mutant rights.

Current Standings:
Rank Username Total Adjusted Points
1 alduc 14
2 leckturn 12.5
2 discostu1001 12.5
4 travelsized 11
5 Heretech 10
6 alphasyndrome 8.5
6 Usuba 8.5
8 Thud105 7
9 gfelga 6
10 Dolemitesooner 5

Full details here: http://www.legendaryleagues.com/#/matches/1116/rankings

Everyone (except alduc) pulled out a villain for their team this week. Deadpool, Loki and Juggernaut each had a few fans for this match, but the win percentage was split 50/50.

This week, Nick Fury gets revenge for all those times you intentionally KO'd those SHIELD Agents.

Match 2 - Due Monday night, Sep 12, 2016
Mastermind: Nick Fury
Scheme: Mass Produce War Machine Armor
Villain Group: Marvel Knights
Henchmen: (10) SHIELD Assault Squad
Heroes: Dr. Octopus , Sabretooth
You may select 1 additional Hero from the list of available Heroes.

Max Turn Count: 28
Max VP: 98
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Marvel Knights, 10 SHIELD Assault Squad, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Ducharme
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only bought Villains last week for the league, so decided to play it safe by using Iron Man and - especially - Black Widow. Black Widow being Black Widow, Odin didn't put much resistance.

Fun fact: my copy is missing a SHIELD Assault Squad. I'll have to proxy one for the next challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun fact: You have no idea how happy you should be that Dr. Strange didn't show up in the matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Hartless
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have never played against him. Is he tough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Ducharme
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolemitesooner wrote:
I have never played against him. Is he tough?

Just by reading his Masterstrike effect, I get the impression that in solo play he empties the villain deck very, very rapidly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, and he sets you up to lose incredibly quickly on any scheme that you lose by hitting a certain number of twists. On a strike, he'll play any twists that are in the top 3 cards, and then play the adversary with the highest attack. (Because you have to play an extra card after the strike, so the adversary is coming out immediately.) I think a game against Dr. Strange usually doesn't go beyond 12 turns or so.

And if the scheme has you playing extra cards on a twist? Forget it.

But we don't have to worry about him this time. Whew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Yeah, and he sets you up to lose incredibly quickly on any scheme that you lose by hitting a certain number of twists. On a strike, he'll play any twists that are in the top 3 cards...

Dr. Strange doesn't have you play all the scheme twists in the top 3 cards. His command strike tells you to play a scheme twist from those revealed. So any others just get cycled to the bottom of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's right. He's still really fast, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Week 2 Results

When Nick Fury brings a bunch of armored soldiers to fight super villains, it's not going to end well... for him. No one seemed to have trouble with this one, but Rincey was the best person to take down SHIELD this week.

Current Standings:
Rank Username Total Adjusted Points
1 leckturn 35.5
2 alduc 34.5
2 Rincey 34.5
4 discostu1001 33
5 travelsized 29.5
6 Usuba 28.5
7 ahab105 26
8 alphasyndrome 23.5
9 Thud105 21

Full results here: http://www.legendaryleagues.com/#/matches/1117/rankings

Almost everyone pulled out a hero for the team this week, which I find interesting, with Black Widow and Wolverine seeing repeated use. Even with that, there's still a lot of diversity, from strength heavy Juggernaut, to tech heavy Iron Man, and even Mr. Diversity 1944 himself, Captain America.

So in my game I shuffled really well, and still saw SHIELD Assault Squads as 7 of my first 8 cards. Normally, that would be great. But I had no attack cards in the HQ, and had a really hard time finding the measly 3 attack needed in my hand. New Recruits helped a bit, but generally not enough, so I saw a couple of early escapes. Eventually I was able to stabilize and clean out the city, but those two escapes hurt my rank pretty bad this week.

You know, after getting punched in the head by Nick Fury, maybe this week you should get your head examined.

Match 3 - Due Monday night, 2016-09-19
Mastermind: Professor X
Scheme: Resurrect Heroes With the Norn Stones
Villain Group: Defenders
Henchmen: (3) Multiple Man
Heroes: Bullseye

Max Turn Count: 15
Max VP: 91
Villain Deck Contents: 8 Defenders, 3 Multiple Man, 5 Strikes, 8 Twists, 1 Bystander

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.