Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that Troyes is being reprinted, and have always had my eye on this game. I love dice placement style games. But in the meantime I've acquired Marco Polo, and Grand Austria Hotel. Before any of those I had Castles of Burgundy (and just wanted a "step up").

I know Troyes is VERY highly regarded, but it's now 6 years old (I think)...has anything 'overtaken' it? Grand Austria seems pretty close, at least in my mind, having not played Troyes yet.

Is the Troyes reprint worth getting if you have (and enjoy immensely) Marco Polo and Grand Austria Hotel already?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

In my opinion, Grand Austria Hotel doesn't hold a candle to Troyes in terms of depth of gameplay, elegance, etc. Marco Polo is different enough (and a brilliant game in it's own right) from Troyes to own both.

I'm actually pouring GAH from my collection because it hasn't held my interest over less than a dozen plays. Troyes has a permanent place in my collection with the other 9-rated games.

As always, with opinions about games, YMMV and likes may be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that Troyes is excellent and very well worth owning.

The question I have is... will they also reprint the expansion?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
I would agree that Troyes is excellent and very well worth owning.

The question I have is... will they also reprint the expansion?

Bye
Thanee

IIRC, it was a yes, or depends on how well the reprint sells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjortman wrote:
I saw that Troyes is being reprinted, and have always had my eye on this game. I love dice placement style games. But in the meantime I've acquired Marco Polo, and Grand Austria Hotel. Before any of those I had Castles of Burgundy (and just wanted a "step up").

I know Troyes is VERY highly regarded, but it's now 6 years old (I think)...has anything 'overtaken' it? Grand Austria seems pretty close, at least in my mind, having not played Troyes yet.

Is the Troyes reprint worth getting if you have (and enjoy immensely) Marco Polo and Grand Austria Hotel already?

Thanks in advance!

Yes. It might seem logical to think, dice worker placement so they're very similar, but they're really not. Troyes is a better game that VoMP and GAH. I've played both and they're good games, but Troyes is the champ. If they do go ahead with the expansion, get that as well. The extra cards make the game a ton more interesting and replayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I own both Troyes and Marco Polo and will never get rid of either one. I have also preordered Ladies of Troyes even though it is overpriced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback everyone. My main concern after watching Rahdo's video is that it may be too complicated for the folks I play with. I have a hard enough time getting Marco Polo and Austria played. Troyes seems quite a bit more complicated, or AP-prone at least, with the wealth of options on each turn. Does this seem like a reasonable assumption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi S
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are reprinting both Troyes, and it's expansion, The Ladies of Troyes, right now. They are both in "Production" phase, so it appears they will both be available at the same time...

https://www.asmodee.us/en/upcoming/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.