Subject: Lord of the Rings the Card Game...HOW? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a copy of The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game used last year and just couldn't get into it. I LOVED the theme and artwork, but I couldn't get behind the deck construction. Plus, I didn't want to purchase ten million sets so I could build a decent deck. But I'm starting to think, since so many people love the game and I am a LOTR nerd, that I should give it another chance. One of the problems I had was that I felt like I couldn't use the heroes I wanted (ones focused more on battle) and win the game. Here are some questions I have that you can help me with!

HOW do I win?
HOW do I choose which heroes to use?
HOW do I construct my deck(s)?
HOW many cards do I include in my deck(s)?
HOW do I choose which sets to purchase/not purchase?
HOW do I make a team of butt-kicking dwarves?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On winning, consider running two decks or use a simple modified rule that each hero starts with double resources. The latter is an 'easy mode' while the former is a popular way to play.

Continuing, having two decks will make your hero decisions and deck construction tasking a bit easier. I only played one handed so I ran into your issues. Check out this place for submitted decs: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/thelordoftherings/the-lo...

Deck rules should be provided in the instructions. I believe tournament decks are 60 cards but don't quote me.

Purchasing sets is a pretty big debate as each cycle is unique in cards/mechanics/difficulty. Check out the BGG forums. However, since you want dwarves:

You need Dain Ironfoot from Return to Mirkwood pack (last cycle pack from Mirkwood) and Khazad-Dum (Out of Pring sadly) expansion box for good dwarf synergy. IMHO of course.

It should be noted that LOTR LCG is a pretty difficult game, requiring constant retooling of decks to continue through the saga. Sometimes a complete rebuild is necessary as well. My experiences are drawn from exclusive solo play. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed the game. It was like a puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Henson
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
This is one of the best places to find answers to your questions:
https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/new-player-guides/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
The only question there that's easy to answer directly is the last one. Buying the Return to Mirkwood adventure pack and then the Khazad Dum Deluxe expansion is a good start.

For the rest of the questions you have, understand that it's a learning process. What my wife and I did was simply start with the first quest in the core set, play through it a few times with the single-sphere decks that come in the core set, until we understood how to play the game, how each sphere works. We then advanced to the next quest, and promptly lost. So we started toying with combining spheres, we just mashed all the red and green cards together, and all the blue and purple cards together, and picked three heroes that seemed good...and lost worse. So we removed a bunch of cards that had not been helpful, and played again...and lost again. Rinse and repeat, until we won. Cull the decks some more, and won more easily. Switched to the third and hardest quest in the core set, and lost a bunch of times...made changes...made more changes...started winning more consistently, etc.

Eventually, you start to get a feel for how cards and heroes play well together. You learn how to balance a deck between allies, events and attachments. You learn that you're going to lose some quests a lot.

Each quest is different, and some can require drastic deck rebuilding, as mechanisms change and win conditions change. HOW to construct your deck is going to vary quite a bit. Get experience with the core set into how the game works, how deckbuilding works, etc.

We play the quests in order. We do not open packs in advance, to get certain cards and build an awesome deck. We don't read ahead to see what cards are coming. We enjoy the thrill of opening a new pack and seeing what new hero is inside, and what new cards will be available to us. We don't read the quest cards or encounter cards in a new deck until we play that quest for the first time. We almost always lose our first game against even the easy quests, because we refuse to look ahead to see what's coming. That's fine. The more plays we get, the more I feel like we're getting our money's worth.

So: Have fun. Experiement, learn, explore. Lose. A lot. If losing is not for you, find another game. Generally speaking, fewer cards in a deck is better. The RIGHT set of cards is even better. And yes, the dwarves kick butt.

Oh, or you can forgo all of the above (and all the fun, in my opinion) and find a deck recommendation for any given quest online. Meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maj n. jeb
msg tools
--HOW do I win?

Currently working on the second cycle, my aswer is "You don't win, you just do a little better each time." But seriously, me and my friend started with the core and have been going in order playing with what is only availble on that quest or before. We have a lot of fun. Yes it is difficult, but we play a quest, and if we lose, we talk about what we can do to win. Then we edit our decks if need be and try again. Right now we are on our 6th attempt at our current quest.

--HOW do I choose which heroes to use?

I'd think that depends on your playstyle. Sounds like you like Dwarves and attacking. The red sphere (i remember the colors, not the names) is probably up your alley, with Gimli as a heavy hitter (if you play like we do). Dain Ironfoot is also a godsend, as when we played Khazad-dum and the following cycle, we had 2 teams of Dwarves kicking butt.

--HOW do I construct my deck(s)?

From what I've experienced, going mono colored deck doesn't work well if you are playing alone (I'm sure people can prove me wrong). My friend and I both have 2 colors in our decks (so we cover all 4 types). He runs red and green, which you might like. The red is for attacking and the green gives some healing support (and the forrest snare helps out a lot in the beginning).

--HOW many cards do I include in my deck(s)?

I think 50 is the minimum (can't remember off the top of my head). Like most card games, having the minimum amount gives you a better chance of getting what you want.

--HOW do I choose which sets to purchase/not purchase?

The link Robb provided has the cards, the sets they are in, and their effects. I would just look through there. Khazad-dum had a lot of dwarf support. I don't know off the top of my head otherwise.

--HOW do I make a team of butt-kicking dwarves?

I ran Dain on my team and he was wonderful when there are 6 dwarf heores out (and our allies were mostly dwarves as well). Unfortunately I couldn't do much else with him except block the last attack coming my way. Gimli is a beast when equipped with armor and axes. The dwarf boots are great too (zero cost and adds an HP).

Not sure if you're playing solo or with someone else, but maybe you could try a red/purple team. I never tried a 3 color deck, but I have a feeling it won't work out too great. With red you get all the attack stuff. Purple can give buffs (there's a bunch of 1 cost cards that increase a stat; i don't use them right now, but it might help in solo) as well as provide useful help (Sneak Attack is purple). It also has Steward of Gondor for resource generation. You can always throw in the dwarf boots, Gandalf, and Resourceful, which are all 'colorless' so any resource can be used to pay for them.

Just some thoughts. Definitely recommend playing it over not playing. Also, get a friend to join. I've had a lot of fun. Also, check out the yearly event FFG does. I think it is in November this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Slater
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Fantasy Flight designed "Easy" mode which you might want to try? Calling it "Easy" makes it feel like it's a bit of a cop-out, but I've seen quite a few comments on BGG that it's good to give it a go.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/lotr-l...

Although maybe you sound like you want more strategic advice rather than just coping with how tough the game is. So others comments here might be more helpful than my suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Great ideas and suggestions! I think I might try to give it another go - if I can find a copy of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
Thanks everyone! Great ideas and suggestions! I think I might try to give it another go - if I can find a copy of it!

Found it for $20 on Kijiji. Giving it another go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Slater
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know if you enjoy it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have never gotten into the Lord of the Rings TCG because the cards we got
from eBay had a lot of overpowered Orcs and Uruk-Hai, and very few Free Peoples. Incidentally, my favorite Free Peoples were the Hobbits (the weakest of the Free Peoples) because my siblings had dibs on the Men, the Elves, and the Dwarves (lol). But
seriously, the Hobbits are my favorite creatures and Hobbiton is my
favorite place from the movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
You will probably also get lots more good advice if you post these questions in the specific forums for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game itself, btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/

It helped me to enjoy the game and I didn't have to worry about deck building. Excellent website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Parsons
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the "playing two-handed" advice is the best way to go, particularly if you're not looking to make scenario-specific, toolbox-style decks for every other quests.

My wife and I play together and one of us will create a questing-heavy deck while the other makes a combat oriented deck, generally speaking. While you might prefer to use particular heroes or tactics, at the very least a two-handed style would guarantee getting to use at least one of the strategies or sets of characters that appeals to you the most.

As for your other questions, the resources others have provided above are excellent. (P.S. Dwarves Rule in this game! You're going to kick ass)

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.