Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the tile a diver is on sinks, the rules say the diver can swim to the closest adjacent tile.

I assume this means if all adjacent tiles are gone, the diver is able to essentially move two tiles to get to the "closest adjacent tile"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't had that one come up during a game yet, I had assumed the word Adjacent in there was some sort of typo or copy/paste mistake. What they meant was the diver could swim to the nearest tile, sort of like when he swam during his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

As far as I remember, other roles can only swim to an adjacent tile (orthogonal for other than Explorer?). If there is no adjacent tile, they drown and the game ends. But it has been a while since I read the rules and usually in my plays characters have not needed to swim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has only happened to me once or twice, but for most characters there has to be an immediately adjacent tile to swim to (can be a diagonally adjacent one if you're the explorer) or else they drown and the game is over.

But the diver never drowns, he just moves automatically to the closest tile no matter how distant it is.

The pilot has a similar advantage that allows him to jump anywhere using his ability if this ever happens to him. You have to take advantage of those characters when moving thru small isolated patches that can potenitally leave you in a situation like this.

All this is inferred directly from the small paragraph on the bottom of page 7 on the manual and it has been confirmed by the designer. When reading rules, it pays to be careful to the literal meaning of the words used (like "adjacent", "closest" or "any") and it will avoid a lot of confusion. Yes, there are games with shoddily written rules, but good designers pay a lot of attention to the way manuals are written/translated and how everything is worded, precisely to avoid ambiguities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
This has only happened to me once or twice, but for most characters there has to be an immediately adjacent tile to swim to (can be a diagonally adjacent one if you're the explorer) or else they drown and the game is over.

But the diver never drowns, he just moves automatically to the closest tile no matter how distant it is.

The pilot has a similar advantage that allows him to jump anywhere using his ability if this ever happens to him. You have to take advantage of those characters when moving thru small isolated patches that can potenitally leave you in a situation like this.

All this is inferred directly from the small paragraph on the bottom of page 7 on the manual and it has been confirmed by the designer. When reading rules, it pays to be careful to the literal meaning of the words used (like "adjacent", "closest" or "any") and it will avoid a lot of confusion. Yes, there are games with shoddily written rules, but good designers pay a lot of attention to the way manuals are written/translated and how everything is worded, precisely to avoid ambiguities.

That's why I think the Diver and the Pilot make for great beginner characters in Forbidden Island with them being immune to death by drowning. Especially if said beginners are kids and are trying out this game as their first co-op/thinky game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.