Subject: My First Try rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I tried out Galactic Strike Force for the first time. I went at it solo, playing 2 ships: The BjarlSpire and The Tharendim, and they went out to deal with... The Singularity.

How well did it go?

Omega came out at the second turn's Travel phase, and all 3 territories were overran by that turn's Aftermath.
Even if somehow I would have averted that, Omega was already at a menacing 18 attack + 8 defense, and growing rapidly, my ships were at 6A/4D and 2A/8D, and the opposition fleet had 11 ships out: 4 Bionic Gatherers, 4 Alpha Primes (3 of which had no offensive capabilities anymore), and 3 others. I've only managed to eliminate 2 ships by that point.

Rules mistakes? 3. All 3 just about missing the location effects once. I caught them a few phases later and corrected.

Either it takes more ships to deal with The Singularity, different ships, or I just need more experience first.

First impressions in general? Fun, but extremely fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep on keeping on; the game seems impossible at first. It's not.

Choose a sector to defend, and don't worry about retaking territory until you are ready. Part of the premise of the game is that this is YOUR area of space; you choose when to fight, and when to fade into the background. It's one of your only advantages...

The fiddliness doesn't go away. I like this game, but it would see more table time if the play was smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bern, with your encouragement and advice, I went for the same scenario again, with the same ships, and won on the sixth turn.
I felt the cards didn't gang up on me as much this time around, but even if they would have, with the new outlook you gave me, I think I would've been alright.

This is actually the first (and so far only) game I've bought where I had solo play in mind when making the purchase, and that's mostly due to the fiddliness of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike MacMartin
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiff's got some things on his site that help: little tent-fold icons for each phase. They're fiddly to put together, but once they're together, you're good. Drop a phase marker on each card as they come out. Doesn't help with the making sure that the mechanics work, or playing the ships' AI against them, but does help with the scanning of the board to make sure that things get triggered at the right time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played solo and with 2 players. I found that when dealing with the fiddliness of the game, I had my friend manage the enemy cards in 2 sectors and I handled one sector plus the boss. At the beginning of each phase, each of us only have to check half the board for triggered events by enemy cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mmacmartin wrote:
Spiff's got some things on his site that help: little tent-fold icons for each phase. They're fiddly to put together, but once they're together, you're good. Drop a phase marker on each card as they come out. Doesn't help with the making sure that the mechanics work, or playing the ships' AI against them, but does help with the scanning of the board to make sure that things get triggered at the right time.

If you don't want to make teh little tents, just plop down $5 on Amazon for some game pawns. They are the right colors and do teh same thing as the tents.

https://www.amazon.com/Set-Assorted-Pawns-24/dp/B001NH0626/r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.