Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hi,

I'm strongly considering grabbing this game but the bases of the monsters seem very sub-par. Do we know if there are plans for better quality control in a second printing?

Thanks!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
Hi,

I'm strongly considering grabbing this game but the bases of the monsters seem very sub-par. Do we know if there are plans for better quality control in a second printing?

Thanks!
Paul

I Doubt it. Just rebase them with clear bases like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hm. Seems interesting, you don't leave the tokens visible? How expensive are the clear bases and where did you find them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
Hm. Seems interesting, you don't leave the tokens visible? How expensive are the clear bases and where did you find them?

I just put the tokens by the side of the board for reference. They don't need to be under the monster, you can just reference the appropriate type of monster token wherever it is.

Those are clear Litko tokens I got from meeplemart (one 25 pack of 30mm for $7.95 and one 10 pack of 40mm for $5.95).

http://www.meeplemart.com/store/p/18599-Transparent-Bases-Ro...

http://www.meeplemart.com/store/p/18596-Transparent-Bases-Ro...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The bases are rubbish. FFG ought to have revised them for Mansions 2ed, but they didn't.

I ordered clear acrylic bases from Litko. About $20 in all with shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
No base for the... big Cthulhu things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
No base for the... big Cthulhu things?

They stand up fine without a base so I didn't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drpretorios wrote:
The bases are rubbish. FFG ought to have revised them for Mansions 2ed, but they didn't.

I ordered clear acrylic bases from Litko. About $20 in all with shipping.

I did the same. Took about 5 days to get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What type of glue did you use? The glue I'm using now (Loctite Superglue) leaves a white residue on minis. Normally it's no problem because I paint over, but with the clear bases, that would be no good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
I love the bases. Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim6 wrote:
What type of glue did you use? The glue I'm using now (Loctite Superglue) leaves a white residue on minis. Normally it's no problem because I paint over, but with the clear bases, that would be no good.

Litko sells a #33 acrylic cement that works superbly.
There are also a couple of reference sheets in the Files section that provide all the monster info so you don't need the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Jolliff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Natai wrote:
Grim6 wrote:

There are also a couple of reference sheets in the Files section that provide all the monster info so you don't need the tokens.

How is that cement with paint? I have most of my minis painted already and I bought the Litko bases and the #33 glue, but haven't tried it out yet. Is it really that potent that Ill want to be glueing outside?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I noticed the FFG bases have little tabs sticking out of them. Are those used for damage or condition tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lexthilian wrote:
I noticed the FFG bases have little tabs sticking out of them. Are those used for damage or condition tokens?

Those are there to assist in differentiating between same type monsters. When you have more than one cultist on the board at the same time, for instance. The app assigns a symbol to each duplicate so you can insert the symbol in the base and tell the duplicates apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
For those eyeing the Litko bases who are looking to save a little scratch: the vast majority of monsters will fit on 25mm bases. The exceptions to this would be haunting horrors, deep ones, and riots--these fit on 40mm bases. The star spawns don't need based, but if you're determined to do so, 60mm should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drpretorios wrote:
For those eyeing the Litko bases who are looking to save a little scratch: the vast majority of monsters will fit on 25mm bases. The exceptions to this would be haunting horrors, deep ones, and riots--these fit on 40mm bases. The star spawns don't need based, but if you're determined to do so, 60mm should work.

Sounds like you've gone this route. How have you found managing duplicates without the tabs? Any tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:

Sounds like you've gone this route. How have you found managing duplicates without the tabs? Any tips?

I rebased mine with the Litko tokens. As for managing duplicates, I just lay the appropriate token next to the monster, works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:

Ive also heard someone that used a dry erase marker on the clear base to differentiate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:

I rebased mine with the Litko tokens. As for managing duplicates, I just lay the appropriate token next to the monster, works fine.

This is how I've done it--just place the token near the model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieWaffle wrote:
Natai wrote:
Grim6 wrote:

How is that cement with paint? I have most of my minis painted already and I bought the Litko bases and the #33 glue, but haven't tried it out yet. Is it really that potent that Ill want to be glueing outside?

I can't say for certain how it will interact with paint, but should be fine. I paint my minis, spray them with matte acrylic finish, then cut off the pegs and glue them to the bases. I haven't had any issues and wouldn't expect any.

And no, this stuff is not as potent as the warnings make it out to be. Nail polish, super glue, etc. are all far stronger. This stuff is more of a quick-drying gel than a liquid and doesn't have a lot of vapor. If you're holed up in small confined space like a basement or a bathroom - sure, might be a problem. But as long as you're not stupid about it...

Actually, this glue is probably the easiest stuff I have ever worked with.

Mistermannindy wrote:
Drpretorios wrote:

I try to include small differences in coloring or other details when painting the minis themselves. For example, the dorsal fin/spikes on my Deep Ones are all dry brushed in a different color. It's a subtle but noticeable difference when trying to tell them apart.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Worked well at the end of Rising Tide, as the colors were almost a one-to-one match for the different colored spawn points.

Not real easy to see in this pic, but one has purplish spikes, one blue, one yellow/green, and one turquoise.

I did forget to do this with my cultists though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone who has the original edition & expansions know how many bases and the sizes we will need to rebase all of those? Given that the expansions are shipping at the moment I am trying to make sure I have enough of the correct size bases.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeneades wrote:
Does anyone who has the original edition & expansions know how many bases and the sizes we will need to rebase all of those? Given that the expansions are shipping at the moment I am trying to make sure I have enough of the correct size bases.

Thanks

Check this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Litko seems to be the place to get the best clear plastic bases but as it's in the US, shipping can be quite expensive.

Does anyone know of a UK retailer that sells clear bases like the ones in the pics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker Suczynski
msg tools
I'm planning on painting my figures but I had a question for someone who has played more games than I (I've only played the first scenario, once)

I'd include each ID token color in my figures so as to identify them when there are duplicates, but I'm unsure of the order in which the ID tokens appear. in the only game I played, we only saw the red token. does anyone have more insight into what order the ID token colors appear in the app? (i.e. red, then blue, then white, then etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't help to include the token color with the figures because, while it does seem to use the colors in a specific order, it depends on which monster duplicates first. If you have two cultists first, the second one will be red and if you then have a duplicate deep one it will be purple. But if you have two deep one hybrids first, the second one will still be red and if the cultists duplicate after that the second one will be purple.

If that's at all clear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.