Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a $50 Amazon giftcard for my birthday, but I have no idea what to spend it on. I vaguely looked around trying to find something, but that's a pain. So here's the challenge: Figure out what I want! Post your suggestions here. If I end up spending the money on your suggestion, I'll send some geekgold your way. Probably not a lot, but if your suggestion is something I absolutely love that could change.

And just to keep someone from spamming every idea that comes into his head and trying to win on a numbers game, if you submit multiple suggestions, only your first guess gets full credit. Subsequent guesses still qualify, but they'll pay out less if you win with them. Hopefully that will encourage people to only submit quality ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Buy a magic eight ball.

Read the first post underneath mine and ask the eight ball if this is what you should buy. If it says yes, you are done. If it says anything else, go to the next post and ask again. Repeat until you find something to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will guess Shogi, because you liked chess, perhaps you wanted to try the Japanese variation.

Other then that Scythe, because it's the new shiny toy out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
https://www.amazon.com/Edible-Flakes-Acrylic-Shaker-100mg/dp...

Edible Gold Leaf Flakes in Clear Acrylic Cube Shaker. 100mg.

Goes good on sundaes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Geekgold obviously
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mexica

https://www.amazon.com/IELLO-51257-Mexica-Board-Game/dp/B016...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Three-Short-Sleeve-T-Shirt/d...

edit: BTW, happy (belated) birthday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Buy a magic eight ball.
My sources say no. I actually already own one for some strange reason.

steven1mac wrote:
I will guess Shogi, because you liked chess, perhaps you wanted to try the Japanese variation.
All of my two player game time is devoted to Go. And Go killed Chess for me anyway. Interesting suggestion, but I don't really think Shogi will appeal to me.

steven1mac wrote:
Other then that Scythe, because it's the new shiny toy out there.
I'm not a huge Dudes-on-a-Map guy, and there's already a copy in my group. So I'm not looking to buy this.

shumyum wrote:
Edible Gold Leaf Flakes in Clear Acrylic Cube Shaker. 100mg.
I'd be more likely to buy regular spices than this.

lfisher wrote:
Buy Geekgold obviously
From Amazon?

Dirge the Troll wrote:
Mexica
I do like Kramer-Keisling, but my groups are more interested in "new hotness" and I haven't had a lot of luck with older games.

wifwendell wrote:
Three Wolf Shirt
For the most part I eschew shirts with graphics these days.

wifwendell wrote:
BTW, happy (belated) birthday...
Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, nothing quit hit the mark, which is the same problem I was having!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Buscemi sleeveless shirt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Well my first sug was obviously a joke, but since we need to start getting into serious suggestions...

Since you have microbadge that claims you are a coffee drinker, maybe get some kona coffee. I am a coffee hater, but I have heard several people say Kona has a flavor that is good, rich, and unique.

You can buy restaurant gift cards via Amazon. If Amazon will let you use one gift card to pay for another AND you can arrange for a sitter, maybe you and the wife can have a date night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Steve Buscemi sleeveless shirt
I'm a Steve Buscemi fan, but oh my god, that's the thing of nightmares!

davypi wrote:
Since you have microbadge that claims you are a coffee drinker, maybe get some kona coffee. I am a coffee hater, but I have heard several people say Kona has a flavor that is good, rich, and unique.
I'm the least foodie coffee drinker you'll ever meet. I like it with as little coffee flavor as possible and I cut that with milk. It's simply a convenient form of caffeine.

davypi wrote:
You can buy restaurant gift cards via Amazon. If Amazon will let you use one gift card to pay for another AND you can arrange for a sitter, maybe you and the wife can have a date night.
That's the suggestion that's had the most appeal so far... I'm not sure if it is possible. A quick check shows that Amazon details the fine print for gift cards and your Amazon Balance in the same document. And they specifically say you can't use your Amazon balance to buy gift cards, which suggests that perhaps you can use gift cards to buy other gift cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Hookers and blow!
I suspect a) that I might have trouble finding vendors who will accept an amazon gift card and b) that the purchasing power of $50 isn't as great as you might think it is, especially if I'm trying to fit both of those options into a $50 budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing stuff from Amazon.

Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I do like the game a lot, but I probably don't need a second copy.

quozl wrote:
I'm guessing stuff from Amazon.
Your suggestion that I buy something on Amazon with my Amazon gift card is rather brilliant. Unfortunately, it doesn't help me narrow it down very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Your suggestion that I buy something on Amazon with my Amazon gift card is rather brilliant. Unfortunately, it doesn't help me narrow it down very much.

Get stuff you'll like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears but they are currently unavailable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
sataranji wrote:
I was going to suggest Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears but they are currently unavailable.

No, but this is:

https://www.amazon.com/Giant-Gummy-Bear-approx-Pounds/dp/B00...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Thunkd wrote:
I'm the least foodie coffee drinker you'll ever meet. I like it with as little coffee flavor as possible and I cut that with milk. It's simply a convenient form of caffeine.

Maybe you should try tea instead? (Not a gift card suggestion, just saying...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, since we are back to serious suggestions....

The new Bloom County comic book is out now. Since you are an atheist, might I suggest Every Day is an Atheist Holiday by Penn Jillette. Cap it off with Board Games that Tell Stories. That comes out to about $55 before shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luna, you know you want it.

https://www.amazon.com/Tasty-Minstrel-Games-2007TTT-Board/dp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sataranji wrote:
I detest gummy bears.

davypi wrote:
Maybe you should try tea instead? (Not a gift card suggestion, just saying...)
I do like tea, and we have a ton of it around all the time, but I don't drink it as often as I should. Also, my wife mostly likes green or white teas which are low caffeine. So when I do drink it, it's for a different reason than I drink coffee.

davypi wrote:
The new Bloom County comic book is out now.
While I liked it back in the day, I haven't enjoyed it since it returned. I'm not really interested in buying graphic novel/comics. Or to be honest books in general. I have a ton of unread books that will take me at least a year to catch up on.

davypi wrote:
Since you are an atheist, might I suggest Every Day is an Atheist Holiday by Penn Jillette.
Meh. Doesn't appeal.

davypi wrote:
Cap it off with Board Games that Tell Stories. That comes out to about $55 before shipping.
I've read Ignacy's blog here. It's not something I'd pay to read.

Doomsword wrote:
Luna, you know you want it.
I am a big Feld Fan, and I've thought about getting this... but it's not going to get a great reception in my groups. And I had a really bad introduction to the game... in my first game, one player threw a fit about a bad opening and refused to do anything in the game except flip candles, rushing the end of the game. And finally, the game has just never clicked. So while I am vaguely interested in the game, I realized I'm just not that excited about getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Thunkd wrote:
davypi wrote:
That's the suggestion that's had the most appeal so far... I'm not sure if it is possible. A quick check shows that Amazon details the fine print for gift cards and your Amazon Balance in the same document. And they specifically say you can't use your Amazon balance to buy gift cards, which suggests that perhaps you can use gift cards to buy other gift cards?

Ok Brian, since it is your birthday and all, I will paypay/snail mail you sixty dollars cash (not a typo) under the following conditions:

1) You mail me the $50 gift card.
2) You solemnly swear you will take your wife out to a nice local (non-chain) restaurant sometime within the next two months.
3) You cannot use this a birthday/anniversary/apology present for your wife. I'm not saying you have to tell her why you are going for dinner. I'm just saying that it has to be a genuine "quality time" date night, not something that would effectively turn into a regifting or ass covering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about checking out who lives near you on BGG, scanning their wishlist, and surprising one fortunate person with a game?

You may do this anonymously or tell them who you are and perhaps gain a new friend.

That is my entire suggestion.
Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about: S.

This only uses half of your gift card, but it has been a great recent find for me, and a great gift for friends who like books and puzzles.

Maybe you already know about it. It isn't really "new," but I am enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Davy wins! I'll be taking my wife out to a nice meal.

He did buy the cards from me for more than they were worth, so thanks for that birthday gift!

Of course, he added stipulations that required me to use it for his suggestion, thus insuring his win. Devious. Now that's the kind of dedication to winning I like to see. Well played Davy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.