Subject: Demand paper ballots, people . . . rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been of the opinion that electonic voting machines should produce a paper back up copy for manual recounting, if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I guess we'll find out in November who Putin really wants as President.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fbi-says-foreign-hackers-penetrat...

Quote:
The FBI has uncovered evidence that foreign hackers penetrated two state election databases in recent weeks, prompting the bureau to warn election officials across the country to take new steps to enhance the security of their computer systems, according to federal and state law enforcement officials.

The FBI warning, contained in a “flash” alert from the FBI’s Cyber Division, a copy of which was obtained by Yahoo News, comes amid heightened concerns among U.S. intelligence officials about the possibility of cyberintrusions, potentially by Russian state-sponsored hackers, aimed at disrupting the November elections.

Those concerns prompted Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson to convene a conference call with state election officials on Aug. 15, in which he offered his department’s help to make state voting systems more secure, including providing federal cyber security experts to scan for vulnerabilities, according to a “readout” of the call released by the department.

I'm a big fan of the paper ballot.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

You heard it here first folks- whoever wins the election *cough* Hillary *cough* will only do so because Putin intervened; it is literally impossible now for the election results to be legitimate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Because we've never had issues with paper ballots before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
verandi wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

You heard it here first folks- whoever wins the election *cough* Hillary *cough* will only do so because Putin intervened; it is literally impossible now for the election results to be legitimate.

Obvi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We should make Putin have to get a voter ID. That will solve everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
This just proves how smart Trump is and why lots of people say should be President. He already said that if he loses in PA it is because the election is rigged, now we know why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:

Not a paper ballot. A punched card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
DavidDearlove wrote:
she2 wrote:

Did you actually envision a voting system where we physically write in ballots? That's not prone to manipulation at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fbi-says-foreign-hackers-penetrat...

Quote:
The FBI has uncovered evidence that foreign hackers penetrated two state election databases in recent weeks, prompting the bureau to warn election officials across the country to take new steps to enhance the security of their computer systems, according to federal and state law enforcement officials.

The FBI warning, contained in a “flash” alert from the FBI’s Cyber Division, a copy of which was obtained by Yahoo News, comes amid heightened concerns among U.S. intelligence officials about the possibility of cyberintrusions, potentially by Russian state-sponsored hackers, aimed at disrupting the November elections.

Those concerns prompted Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson to convene a conference call with state election officials on Aug. 15, in which he offered his department’s help to make state voting systems more secure, including providing federal cyber security experts to scan for vulnerabilities, according to a “readout” of the call released by the department.

But this is only relevant for the people voting, right Drew?

As we all know, principled conservatives like yourself are sitting this one out, because Johnson's not a real libertarian, Trump is a stooge for Clinton forced on you by the media, and Clinton murdered Vince Foster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:

Yes, there was a bit of trouble running a ballot counting exercise there.

Fortunately, paper != chads.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I would think both parties would want to ensure that the election results accurately reflect the will of the people. I know that Democrats have not often cared about such things. I'm not surprised to see them thinking that this post is all about Trump and not about hackers screwing with results.

But Democrats seem to have lost their minds.

Gotcha, this is just you genuinely being concerned about interference in the integrity of our election by a foreign power. Of course, this was just an irrational "Red Scare" when a consensus of intelligence experts concluded that Russia was behind the DNC hack.

Maybe we can call this "Drew's Dilemma"- When you spend all of your time carrying water for Trump talking points and derailing criticism of him with tu quoque attacks on Hillary, people have this irrational assumption that you're a partisan Trump supporter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
I ask for paper ballots at all the voting locations I hit on election day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:

As we all know, principled conservatives like yourself are sitting this one out, because Johnson's not a real libertarian, Trump is a stooge for Clinton forced on you by the media, and Clinton murdered Vince Foster.

I don't think we ever got triable evidence regarding her involvement with Foster's death.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
glundee1 wrote:

I don't think we ever got triable evidence regarding her involvement with Foster's death.

Ferret

Bwahahahaahha laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
she2 wrote:

Did you actually envision a voting system where we physically write in ballots? That's not prone to manipulation at all!

We mark an X in a box. On paper. Counted by hand. It works.

(OK, we don't tend to vote for as many things at once. There is an intermediate case - machine and paper not as backup but as what's checked by voter and then put in box and counted.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally it's typical of our resident right wingers that on hearing that ballots are insecure (something that anyone who follows security matters has known for many years) they go straight to piling on Clinton. Despite the clearer closer links between Trump and Putin. (Jumping straight to piling on Trump would also be a mistake though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
she2 wrote:

I envision a voting system where the voter receives a physical printed copy of their voting on an electronic voting machine. The ballot can then be reviewed by the voter (and shredded if misprinted).

After confirming that their votes are correct (both on the sheet and on the computer), the paper ballot is placed in a locked box.

In the event of a recount, the ballots can be hand counted (on a case by case basis, if needed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course I also think Voting should be held in the summer (after summer school is out so schools can be used) and be a three day weekend affair (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
she2 wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
she2 wrote:

(OK, we don't tend to vote for as many things at once. There is an intermediate case - machine and paper not as backup but as what's checked by voter and then put in box and counted.)

Four times as many voting in the US vs the UK also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is nothing inherently superior about a paper ballot. Electronic systems can be just as, if not more, secure and auditable than paper systems. Demanding paper ballots be continued ad infinitum is like demanding the Navy continue to sail sloops because those newfangled steam engines are unreliable and can blow up.

You should be demanding better, open electronic systems from competing vendors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Meh. In my backwards, inbred, overrun-by-hillbillies state, we have a paper ballot (fill in the gap in a separated arrow), slide it into the machine and get a receipt. Plus, it's got a counter so you can see how many people have submitted ballots at your precinct.

And the cards are kept for three election cycles before being destroyed.

Yeah, we're the morons....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
[q="she2"]Because we've never had issues with paper ballots before.

Yes, there was a bit of trouble running a ballot counting exercise there.

Fortunately, paper != chads.
Ferret

Hanging chads, Apparently medicene can treat that these days under Obamha care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

"red scare" mode?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
she2 wrote:

Four times as many voting in the US vs the UK also.

That doesn't really make a difference. Counting votes is a totally distributable process. Although you are counting on a state level in terms of working out who the electors are, there is nothing to prevent smaller counting units who will report up to the larger level. This is similar to how we ran the Brexit referendum - counting was in smaller wards, which reported up to cities and then to regions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.