Subject: adding modules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Christensen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Question - If the game lasts 3 rounds/9 sessions and the rules say you can only buy on mod per round, you can only buy a total of 3 mods IF I'm reading the rules right. If true, just how the heck does everyone get all those mods I see on the photos? In three rounds, you wouldn't have time to do anything at all other than possibly buy a couple mods, a few researchers and little else. Something is missing..... My friends and I wre totally lost in reading that section of the rules.
Please help us....
keel131@comcast.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rowan
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:adding modules
keel (#23733),

Hmm, I'm not sure what you're referring to by "9 sessions", but it sounds like you're interpreting the "3 rounds" incorrectly. The way this should be interpreted, there are 3 phases to a round, with a round defined as the duration of time that one person is the starting player. After the round is complete, the starting player rotates to the next person and the 3 phases are repeated. This process is repeated until the end of the game, once all the Atlantis discoveries have been found.

I don't have the game here, but as I recall, the three phases are:

1. Buy Module or Add Module(s) - you must do one or the other, but if you have a certain number of modules in front of you (4 or 5 as I recall), then you can no longer buy new ones (max one per round) and you must add your modules to the board or return them to the supply without a refund. When you add modules to the board, the first can be placed anywhere, but all subsequent modules must be connected to that first module or to another module placed on this turn (though you can return extra modules that you don't want to the supply).

2. Move Researchers - this is where you claim new modules by moving your researchers into them. This is also where you can move a researcher into a position to be able to turn him into a sub in the next phase.

3. Launch/Move Subs - If your researcher is at a blue airlock and there is at least one additional researcher present in that module, you can turn a researcher into a sub in the first space outside the airlock (so long as that space is not partially or fully blocked by a module or another sub). Then after launching subs, you can move them around to try to claim discoveries. If the sub ends its movement outside a blue lock and any player has a researcher inside, the sub can return to a researcher at the end of its movement or at the end of the phase (don't remember which).

Turn order is like this in a 3 player game: Player 1 (start player) completes his/her Phase 1. Now, Player 2 completes his/her Phase 1. Finally, Player 3 does the same. Player 1 now completes Phase 2, then Player 2 does, followed by Player 3. The process repeats on Phase 3, but at the end of that phase, the starting player is moved on to the next player in line - Player 2.

Hope this helps clarify...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christensen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Richard, ok, the rules state there are three 'rounds' and you can only buy one module per round. If there are only three rounds and allowed only one mod per round, how can anyone ever get more than three modules? The game would be over before you can ever really start.... please, please help....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rosen
United States
East Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
keel (#23859),

Nowhere in the rules does it state the game ends in 3 rounds. All it says is a round consists of 3 phases. You keep playing rounds until certain conditions are met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.