14 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Are any of the lesser factions viable for fleet pure? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
danny bennet
msg tools
mbmb
Just started playing and LOVE Federation. Looking at all the different factions I see that competitively there are suitable fleets to play pure for Fed, romulan, klingon, borg etc.

What I want to know is are any of the smaller factions capable of holding their own at all in a 2-3 ship 120-130 point game.

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Xindi and Kazon seem to do okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of them are depending on the points values and the skill of the player.

Ferengi, Vulcan, Khazon, and especially Species ships see faction pure play around here all the time. I've even seen a very effective Bajoran fleet and an extremely powerful Tholian fleet (for the one OP where your ships respawn, damn those webs).

I don't know if you would consider the Cardassians as a "lesser Faction" since they are only 1/3 of the Dominion, but I play Cardassian Pure in almost every OP event that I play in these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
The only factions I would NOT consider viable in a fleet pure environment:

Bajoran
Ferengi
Vulcan
Q

This is excluding certain OP rules/conditions that could throw usual balance out the window.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kazon, 8472, Xindi, Vulcans and Bajoran can hold their own pretty well. Ferengi are not too bad in the hands of a good player but it will be an up hill battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I have been trying with Ferengi. In OP scenarios... maybe. Depends on rules. In a straight deathmatch, they hurt.

They shined in TCW3 with the sphere. Everyone taking Scans and getting APTs from it benefited Ferengi significantly. The Kreechta, Bractor, and Rom were great.

Outside of wierd rules. They lack firepower, captain skill, staying power, and good maneuver dials (with 180 front, it would be different). They do have a decent pile of extra actions mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pollard
United Kingdom
Beeston
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
I've even seen... an extremely powerful Tholian fleet (for the one OP where your ships respawn, damn those webs).

I did reasonably well with Tholians in the Wrath of Khan OP because of the Nebula effect, but in open space? Man, they're crunchy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Sharitt
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
Kazon, 8472, Xindi, Vulcans and Bajoran can hold their own pretty well. Ferengi are not too bad in the hands of a good player but it will be an up hill battle.

I don't have any Bajoran ships, but I'm often tempted to buy a few just to try a faction pure Bajoran fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I recently made up a bunch of 3 ship fleets for each faction and the Kazon one with two predators and a heavily upgraded raider turned out to be quite good so I would definitely say Kazon can do it if you have access to their OP ships.

My rules for these fleets were 3x ships, 50pts each maximum and faction pure; I made them up so people could just grab and go instead of new people having to deck build a ship for a game they don't know how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bsharitt wrote:
Mr S Baldrick wrote:

I don't have any Bajoran ships, but I'm often tempted to buy a few just to try a faction pure Bajoran fleet.

Interceptors with the 4 die phaser strike can be a thing. Plus there is also DS9, lots of folks forget it is a duel faction ship. DS9 with Shakar and 3x Bajoran Malitia = good times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had success with most of the smaller factions in tournament. I tend to play "pure" fleets for fun, and try and jump around, playing a little bit of everything.

I often find myself playing Vulcan and Bajoran pure fleets.
the Bajoran interceptors can be quite a pain in mass numbers. Bajoran Assault ship is good too, especially when mixed with the Interceptors.

the Vulcan D'Kyr is a good ship, with a 108 fire arc and an after weapon (effectively giving it a 270 arc of fire). she's a little sluggish on the sharp turns, but can still hold up, especially if teamed up with a Surak (with Combat Variant). In My Opinion.

the Kazon's ability to tack on Aux Tokens (and their boarding party card) really play havoc with enemies, if you can get a good shot in on them.

I also play pure Cardassian and Jem'Hadar fleets, which are just too fun, and a pure Hirogen fleet can be a real killer.

the only faction I've had problems with is the Ferengi. I don't know if it's my dice, or the way I play, but I usually get hammered every time I play a wing of marauders, but I will continue to try (especially after I get Nunk's Marauder-the only ship i'm missing from the blinds).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its worth also noting the the Bajorian's best ship is actually Deep Space nine.

I threw this together as an idea for a list:
Deep Space 9 [44]
- Kira Nerys 5 (Captain) [3]
- - Militia [3]
- Day Kannu [2]
Ship Total: 52 SP

Ratosha [18]
- Krim 6 (Captain) [4]
- - LEGENDARY HERO [5]
- - Bajoran Militia [3]
- Bajoran Militia [3]
- Assault Vessel Upgrade [4]
Ship Total: 37 SP

Akorem [18]
- Shakaar Edon 6 (Captain) [4]
- - Blockade [5]
- Ro Laren [5]
- Assault Vessel Upgrade [4]
Ship Total: 36 SP

Resource: TACTICS [5]

Fleet Total: 130 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

It could probably be far better refined.

I find vulcans to be a bit lacking as fleet pure, they have lots of aux removal but not much that actually makes use of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Irons
msg tools
As an 8472 main, I think I can reliably inform you that they pack a nasty punch, although their options are limited and many of their cards aren't worth taking (I usually wind up using the same 2 or 3 upgrades). If you're going to play them, the Bioship Beta expansion is a MUST (I have two of each Bioship). They hit like a truck and have some fun maneuvering options thanks to Fluidic Space and Organic Conduits (this one is from the Blind Booster).

I haven't seen many people mention Independent here, but they CAN be good. The Hirogen and Krenim Packs in particular have some decent stuff, Karr IMO is one of the best Captains in the game, especially when paired with the Elite Talents from the Alpha Hunter Pack. Probably the biggest problem with Independent is their lack of high-tier ships, although this can be mitigated somewhat by their wide range of options, since they all count as one Faction for Faction Pure, and thanks to the Krenim they can even sneak some Mirror Upgrades in there (Dual Faction ships FTW!)

EDIT: Also, Independent has Khan, and His is a Superior Intellect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
To me, FED, ROM, KLI, DOM, BOR, MU, and IND all have enough expansions and high quality ships to easily go fleet pure.

Q can't, but shouldn't really be counted.

The only ones to question are BAJ, FER, KAZ, VUL, XIN, SPE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.