Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey guys,

so played last night for the first time. When you get to the dining room area, the app tells you to place Search tokens in the kitchen. Thing is, the path from the dining room to the kitchen is blocked off by yellow lines and dotted lines (impassable borders).

Seeing as RAW state we can't walk through impassable borders, we couldn't walk into the kitchen. We thought maybe the scenario would make us loop around to the kitchen's rear door, but it never happened.

My question is: did we play this right? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm guessing the randomization aspect means some playthroughs will get access to the kitchen, others not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the dotted line is impassable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottiewolfe wrote:
Hey guys,

so played last night for the first time. When you get to the dining room area, the app tells you to place Search tokens in the kitchen. Thing is, the path from the dining room to the kitchen is blocked off by yellow lines and dotted lines (impassable borders).

Seeing as RAW state we can't walk through impassable borders, we couldn't walk into the kitchen. We thought maybe the scenario would make us loop around to the kitchen's rear door, but it never happened.

My question is: did we play this right? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm guessing the randomization aspect means some playthroughs will get access to the kitchen, others not?

Impassable borders are "dashed".

Regular Yellow borders are room borders and doors will allow you to travel through them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Look at the basement tile.

You cannot move directly from the stairs to the space to the north - it is a dashed line.

You *can* traverse from the stairs over the solid yellow line to the left into the basement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark P
Canada
Kitchener
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny that they used a dotted line to represent impassable. Because the line is broken, if I hadn't known the rules, I'd assume I can pass through the line. Whereas a solid yellow line I would guess is a barrier because it's solid and the colour Yellow, a "different" colour choice from white or black, making it seem like there's some special meaning to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Look at the basement tile.

You cannot move directly from the stairs to the space to the north - it is a dashed line.

You *can* traverse from the stairs over the solid yellow line to the left into the basement.

I must have reread that part in the Rules Reference a million times and understood that yellow lines were impassable along with white dotted lines, but now it makes sense and I feel like an idiot lol. Also, the Learn to Play guide had a better explanation. Should've read that.

Thanks for the clarification!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More funny is that the rule is stated as follows:

Quote:
Impassable borders are space edges represented by dashed white or yellow lines. Each impassable border separates two or more spaces.

When based on FFG rules and card logic, it should have stated:
Quote:
Impassable borders are space edges represented by dashed white or dashed yellow lines. Each impassable border separates two or more spaces

FFG rarely allows a modifier (dashed in this case) to refer to things after a compound clause (and yellow).

See also "facedown" modifier when taking damage/horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.