Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't find a thread on this, sorry if I missed it.

Anyone tried the game with two players yet? If so, how does it play? Is 3 heroes too much to handle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinDJacobson wrote:

Anyone tried the game with two players yet? If so, how does it play? Is 3 heroes too much to handle?

As has been noted elsewhere, the game gets more difficult for the FAITH team when they only have 3 heroes (the scaling for the Sins player isn't quite enough to counterbalance the loss of a hero). So if you find that the Sins player is winning too much, I'd suggest simply playing with 4 heroes instead.

To your original question: I don't think the cognitive load is really that much for a single FAITH player to control 3-4 heroes. The game is really streamlined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bradford
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FreedomGunfire wrote:
JustinDJacobson wrote:

As has been noted elsewhere, the game gets more difficult for the FAITH team when they only have 3 heroes (the scaling for the Sins player isn't quite enough to counterbalance the loss of a hero). So if you find that the Sins player is winning too much, I'd suggest simply playing with 4 heroes instead.

To your original question: I don't think the cognitive load is really that much for a single FAITH player to control 3-4 heroes. The game is really streamlined.

My wife and I played twice so far, each taking a turn at being the Sins Player. We did it 'by the book' with three heroes on the field, and I will echo the recommendation that FAITH having four heroes in a 1v1 game is probably for the best.

Pros -
Cognitive load isn't much at all, as stated above. Player actions and abilities are simple enough that one player can easily handle four FAITH heroes.

1v1 decreases downtime, as the FAITH player can make all the necessary decisions for their team without talking through them all with team mates.

Con -
The social aspect of the game diminishes quickly, and the psychological impact of the Sins Player gets toned down. A subtle nuance of playing the Sin is the idea that you can sow some seeds of discord between the other players. Cool part is it actually works. Unless it's 1v1, making FAITH the ultimate United Front.

Overall, I call this a smashing success as a 1v1. The turns flow smoothly, the decisions are made quickly, and game time as a whole is a lot more manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karlo arciaga
United States
California
flag msg tools
woops. my first game i squished in a game with my roomate and instructed him to control 4 heroes.

but i have to agree here - controlling 3 active faith members on the map puts FAITH at a mild disadvantage from the get-go, regardless of the other modifications that the SIN player is able to make. with 3 active heroes on the map, there is less pressure on map objectives and the like, it really gives more freedom for the sin player to influence the map. the only disadvantage the sin player gets is less cards and reaction tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the one 1 v 1 I've had so far with 4 characters on the map from the get-go and my FAITH player loved that. There's really no reason to just put 3 on the map for 1 player that I can see (aside from the designer thinking that maybe putting decisions for all 4 heroes on 1 player might be too much strain round to round)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've mostly played with two players, except for one time with three, however I don't count the three player one, because the other faith player didn't really udnerstand the rules or what to do.

I played all my games by the book, and I think the fact that 1 player only gets 3 instead of 4 is balanced. If one player is a much stronger player than the other then maybe 4 faith heroes on the board at the same time will balance it out. The turns are a lot smoother, and quicker, as there is essentially no down time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.