Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry that this is similar to another post, but I find myself trying to decide about this game now in 2016, being a huge fan of the theme, and enjoying Quarriors quite a bit.

I'm curious how much of the low rating came from the messy rule book issues that plagued the game at first. I normally wouldn't bother, but I recently picked up the Firefly Shiny Dice game despite its low rating, and really enjoy it. That was a case of an unfortunate rulebook having people play a game the designer never intended, but the fixes were easy once you knew about them.

So, as it stands now, is the game worth getting with the up to date rules, or is it still a mediocre game that's best to avoid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
its okay, not great, but okay. The quest mechanic is actually pretty good and I wish they would do something with it for dicemasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the issue that could hurt it for me, is if the game doesn't play well as a competitive game like quarriors. The issue I see is that if everyone is playing to get the best score and be the "real" winner, why would anyone help the greater good? I'm not sure I see how that can work. If it's compelling as a pure co-op I guess it doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only a Co-op. You throw the ring in and you win, or you all lose. Iirc there aren't even any mechanisms for scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealtheshader wrote:
It's only a Co-op. You throw the ring in and you win, or you all lose. Iirc there aren't even any mechanisms for scoring.

I know Rhadho stressed in his review that it's essential to play competitively, that it's just too easy to play as a straight co-op. He did say the rule book should have emphasized that more, as it feels right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'll bite:

The game is not exceptional. But it is decent...good...much better than bad.

If you are into the theme and like Quarriors, than I would say that you should pick it up, if it's still available for low prices online.

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you do buy/play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add that, while the game itself is okay (but made better with the Variants posted here on BGG), the overall component quality was pretty disappointing. I had to repaint the faces on many of my dice, and one dice I have is seriously misshapen (luckily it's a Sam dice that isn't needed for less than 4 players). Other folks have communicated similar quality issues. Just thought I'd add that forewarning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who doesn't much care about LOTR, I think if you like Quarriors you'll like this, and being into the theme is a bonus. It's very similar, but the balancing between team goals and individual goals gives it a nice additional level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoyed it. That was enough for me! Not perfect, and you kind of have to squint a bit at how the theme was applied to the mechanics, but it is a dice chucking, push you luck kind of good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big LOTR fan and I bought this game on the day it came out - Let me tell you that I was really really disappointed.

But since then (once we got a real set of rules) the game grew on us.
We play it from time to time, and it's fun.

Yes, very easy as a coop game, but if you want to have a friendly competitive game loosely set in the world of Tolkien, then this game is for you. (but buy it cheap if you can)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the game - it is not a great one, but good overall. Won't pay retail for it, found at a deep discount (25USD or so)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Judson
msg tools
Quarriors is not co-op at all like this one is it? I really like the co-op play in this system. Are their anymore similar to this that are mostly co-op?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Quarriors is not cooperative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.