8 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick quest / progress question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Mendez
msg tools
I'll try and be brief:

The quest has enough progress tokens on it to complete but I have been waiting for Gollum to turn up.

Meanwhile I have travelled to a new active location.

Then Gollum arrived.

So, do I need to clear the active location first before moving on to the next phase of the quest?

It's Dead Marshes by the way.

Cheers

Trevor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not clear if you are on 1b or 2b (sometimes giving the details is more important than brevity).

If you are on 1b and have enough progress, regardless of the presence/absence of Gollum, you advance to 2a (then b). On flipping 2b, if you don't have Gollum, you immediately go back to 1b, without any progress on it.

Also of you ever don't have Gollum and are on 2b, you immediately go back to 1b.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you are on stage 2b, and Gollum had escaped into the deck? Here's what should happen:

If you reach the end of 2b (enough progress tokens to complete) and Gollum is not in play, you take a 0-card escape test and then move back to stage 1b. Just staying in 2b and "waiting for Gollum to turn up" is not an option. You have to hope that Gollum has showed up again by the next time you finish 2b.

However, the active location is no impediment to ending a quest that has enough progress to complete. Consider stage 1b of Journey Down the Anduin, which requires 8 progress but you cannot defeat while a Hill Troll is in play. Suppose you've placed 8 progress while the Hill Troll is still around, travel to a new active location, then kill the Hill Troll. You would then progress to stage 2a, with the active location remaining as the active location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Mendez
msg tools
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

It seems I did it incorrectly I think.

In the game I just played:

I progressed to 2B. Gollum was still in play.
I got progress required, failed the final escape test and went back to 1B.

I then failed an end of quest escape test and Gollum was shuffled into the deck.

I am guessing what I did next was incorrect. I got the 12 progress to go back to 2B. I moved on to 2B, waited for Gollum to come along and then finished the quest.

My question was around having progress tokens on the quest card but not on the active location. I think I was correct sbout by part but it seems I played the last part of the quest incorrectly, as I should not have moved to 2B whilst Gollum was still in the encounter deck, although I don't remember reading anything to prevent me moving on to 2B when Gollum was in the deck.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You *do* move to 2a from 1b when Gollum is not in play. It's just that if Gollum doesn't become in-play by the time you finish 2b, you go back to 1b again. Repeat until Gollum finally shows up, or you threat out.

The tension in this quest is about keeping Gollum from escaping in the first place, because if he does escape you might never find him again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:
It's not clear if you are on 1b or 2b (sometimes giving the details is more important than brevity).

If you are on 1b and have enough progress, regardless of the presence/absence of Gollum, you advance to 2a (then b). On flipping 2b, if you don't have Gollum, you immediately go back to 1b, without any progress on it.

Also of you ever don't have Gollum and are on 2b, you immediately go back to 1b.

Neither the quest card nor the rule sheet instructs you to return to 1b immediately if Gollum is not in play. It only instructs you to return to 1b if you fail to capture Gollum after 2b is defeated.

There's a response from Nate on how to proceed if you defeat 2b if Gollum is absent here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/728325/stage-2b-gollum-not-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the misinformation, I didn't have the sheet in front of me and haven't played it in a few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Mendez
msg tools
Thanks everyone...as always.... For the helpful replies.

Looks like I'll have to have another crack at it to finish it properly before returning to Mirkwood!

Thanks againses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.