Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting chewed out over and over again by Genestealers in the jungles, the Scouts decided to call it a day, spent a few decades graduating through the ranks, and now - fresh from taking care of some old business on a certain Space Hulk - have come back to the jungle to finish what they started:

I've only recently got my grubby hands on Lost Patrol, so I haven't had a chance to play it, but I've heard enough to get the impression that the game's extremely unbalanced. These new Terminator rules seem like they might give the Marines a chance - what do you guys think?

[Edit: kudos to
bill peck
United Kingdom
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmb
for thinking along the same lines as GW's guys! https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1607016/terminator-variant ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon ike
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
Virgin Islands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just ordered this white dwarf a few minutes ago.
Glad to see they didn't reprint the solo rules and did something new!
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Parker
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squinted and typed if out whistle

These rules allow you to play a game of Lost Patrol using Space Marine Terminators from your collection as an alternative to the Scouts. These veterans of the chapter are equipped with fearsome weaponry and clad in bulky suits of tactical Dreadnought armor. These rules should provide both players with a new and interesting challenge.

It is very simple to incorporate Terminators into your games of Lost Patrol. Tod do so, you will need a squad of Space Marine Terminator models from your collection. The following rules modifications then apply to the Terminator models. In all other ways, the Terminators function in exactly the same way as the Scout models do in the game.

THE TERMINATOR SQUAD
Replace the 5 Space Marine Scout models with 5 Space Marine Terminators (1 Terminator Sergeant, 3 Terminators, and 1 Heave Weapon Terminator). The Heavy Weapon Terminator can be armed with either an assault cannon, a heavy flamer or a cyclone missile launcher. All five models start the game in the Clearing tile.

TERMINATOR ACTIONS
Terminators take actions in the same manner as Scouts, with the modifications noted below.

TERMINATOR MOVES
The Terminators move in the same way as Scout models, except that there can be a maximum of only two Terminators on any tile other than the Clearing.

TERMINATOR FIRE
Roll two dice when a Terminator fires, apart from the Heavy Weapon Terminator. Each roll of 6 is a hit and removes one Genestealer model from the target tile.

When the Heavy Weapon Terminator fires, look up the weapon they are armed with below to see how to carry out the attack:

Assault Cannon: Roll three dice. Each roll of 6 is a hit and remove one Genestealer from the target tile.
Cyclone Missile Launcher: Roll one dice for each Genestealer on the target tile. Each roll of 5 or 6 is a hit and removes one Genestealer from the target tile.
Heavy Flamer: The Heavy Flamer can only be used to attack Genestealers in an adjacent tile (including tiles that are not connected to the attack model’s tile by a path). Roll one dice for each Genestealer on the target tile. Each roll of 3, 4, 5 or 6 is a hit and removes one Genestealer from the target tile.

TERMINATORS & ASSAULTS
Roll one dice to determine the Terminator’s assault score. Add 1 for each Terminator in the tile being attacked. Add a bonus of +1 if the Sergeant is one of the models in the tile being attacked. If a Heavy Weapon Terminator armed with an assault cannon can see the tile under attack but is not actually in the tile, he can give a covering fire bonus of another +1. Heavy Weapon Terminators with cyclone missile launchers or heavy flamers cannot provide cover fire.
Combat results are worked out in much the same manner as they would be for Scouts, except that Terminators are never driven back – they always hold their ground, and the Genestealers can only advance into a tile by killing all of the Terminators that occupy it!

WINNING THE GAME
The normal victory conditions apply. Space Marine player wins if they have a Terminator on the Dropship tile at the end of a turn, and the Genestealer player wins if all of the Terminators are eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john doe
Scotland
flag msg tools
Is that the first WD article to feature new rules for Lost Patrol? I seem to remember rules in a weekly one to change the difficulty but I can't find anything about it online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
necromorph wrote:
Is that the first WD article to feature new rules for Lost Patrol? I seem to remember rules in a weekly one to change the difficulty but I can't find anything about it online.

Yeah, it was in WD#124. It was just a simple tweak to how many GS's can spawn on the dropship (a few different "difficulty levels"). Not that great really, although admittedly with RAW that does seem to be the real sticking point (READ: certain death), should your scouts get that far, so the tweak doesn't hurt.

It's posted along with a bunch of other suggested difficulty tweaks here...
Difficulty Tweaks, Collated (2nd Edition, 2016)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Where did that Article come from?

I've got White Dwarf #124 and don't see it??

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I may be mistaken then... WD#124 may have been the issue which featured Lost Patrol when it went up for pre-order? The 3 difficulty level tweaks were listed towards the back of whatever issue they were in IIRC (bottom of RHS page I think)... but I guess it could have been a later issue.

Anyway, there was nothing to it beyond limiting GS count on the dropship, so you're not missing much.

EDIT: Just realised... if you were asking about the article in the OP, that's from the Sep 2016 issue, now they've switched back to monthly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Meyers
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

OK got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.