Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Scarborough
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, back in the original Myth KS, Megacon posted images of the 2014 GenCon promo cards. Are there any images of the 2015 & 2016 cards around? Would it be legitimate for someone to post them, or is access intentionally restricted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Scheuber
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gencon 2015:

Gencon 2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm SOOOOO glad that when I was at their booth and specifically asked if there was anything I didn't have for Mercs: Recon and Myth I was told there wasn't. Apparently I had to specifically ask for the promo which I didn't know existed. Oh well, it's not like Myth gets much play in the first place ... unless someone else would like to acquire a near complete collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Czerwonka
United States
Orland Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
did the same thing, have everything for Myth, and last years promo... didnt know about this one, and went to the booth and again... nothing. Looked around for Brian and them, but they wernt there to talk to either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Scarborough
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leon,

Thanks for posting! I didn't think to mention that I'd found these images. blush I'd hoped someone might snap a photo of the cards straight-on and in better resolution. That seemed like a long shot though.

Thanks again, I apprec you spending time to help, instead of saying, "Google it"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It'd be nice if they gave us print and play for these cards. It's not like there's a concern for proxies right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite being at GenCon (and having to leave early because of a family concern) I love companies that do a GenCant thing. This gives those who are unable to attend GenCon access to GenCon goodies like cards.

I only just noticed this happening this year but I imagine it's been going on for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Scarborough
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Yeah, I understand it's cool to get a promo at the event, but I can't afford the time off, the travel, or the con! If I could by a card for $5 I would (less would, of course, be better), but I'd be fine making a copy on my own. Maybe Megacon can add the promos to the BGG Store...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Scarborough
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelly,

Megacon's GenCan't sale was pretty good, but with the Journeyman Kickstarter, I'll have plenty of Myth stuff to keep me for awhile (and I've no interest in Mercs—I promised myself "just one mini game").

This year's promo card (nor any other years') wasn't included though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H

Beavercreek
Ohio
msg tools
proclaimed wrote:
I'm SOOOOO glad that when I was at their booth and specifically asked if there was anything I didn't have for Mercs: Recon and Myth I was told there wasn't. Apparently I had to specifically ask for the promo which I didn't know existed. Oh well, it's not like Myth gets much play in the first place ... unless someone else would like to acquire a near complete collection.

This, this, this. I stopped by the booth inquiring about promos and was told there weren't any. This is beyond irritating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like handing out a bunch of these cards would be a small price to pay for a bit of good will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
What! I demoed two games from MCG.

There was no mention of promos. WTF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe someone will give them an excellent scan and post them so we can print them ourselves.

Given Megacon games' recent personnel losses maybe they'd do it themselves if they weren't so ... pre-occupied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit surprised at the angst in this thread over promo cards. I had no idea that they were so popular (or sought after). I honestly figured there would be more vocal comments over selling copies of the Journeyman expansions at GenCon before they were delivered to KS backers.

Is it a completionist thing or an actual gameplay thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
js379 wrote:
That's not really the same thing as being upset that you didn't get the promos because you didn't go to gencon, which is what you seem to be criticizing.

Nah, I was just going by the general sentiment. If I went to GenCon and asked someone there running a demo for a promo card and they said they didn't have any to later find out they did, I'd likely be irritated. If I didn't ask, I would have assumed there were a million other things on their mind and I wouldn't expect them to hand out promo cards to every single person that walked up.

Case in point, I was just at a local convention a few months ago and met a designer for a game I enjoy. After talking a for 15 or so minutes (we were waiting for a game demo to start) he had a visible mental jolt and he reached into his shirt pocket to pull out a promo card for his game.

Overall, I'm just more surprised they aren't print-and-play available through MCG or one of their quarterly patches (whatever they're calling them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not irritated about anything. What makes you think that? I was just commenting as I was surprised promo cards were a "thing". I honestly had no idea as I don't use any promo cards in my Myth game. That's why I asked if I was missing something - are the cards for game play or are they just a completionist thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:
I'm not irritated about anything. What makes you think that? I was just commenting as I was surprised promo cards were a "thing". I honestly had no idea as I don't use any promo cards in my Myth game. That's why I asked if I was missing something - are the cards for game play or are they just a completionist thing.

They are for game play. I have the other 3 promo cards and I use them by creating an adventure where, if a certain monster is defeated and/or a certain task/quest accomplished, one hero in the party has the opportunity to manipulate their hero deck to replace a card with the promo card.

I am disappointed not to have the 2016 promo card, and hope that MCG will make a free download of all of the promo cards soon (the people who have the "real ones" will still have the bonus of having production copy versions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
They are for game play. I have the other 3 promo cards and I use them by creating an adventure where, if a certain monster is defeated and/or a certain task/quest accomplished, one hero in the party has the opportunity to manipulate their hero deck to replace a card with the promo card.

Thanks. I don't know why but for some reason I thought they *did* release the older ones as print and play. But long after GenCon (or whatever event they were created for) was over. I get why they do it, I just don't remember them being so limited.

EDIT: The images for the 2014 cards were in update 121, before GenCon. Maybe that was a mistake on their part as they didn't think people would print them out.

And it looks like there was an official discussion about what to do with the 2015 promo card (include it in JM shipment, sell it, etc...) but it was never resolved.

So...I guess if you got any of them, you're a lucky duck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:

So...I guess if you got any of them, you're a lucky duck.

I was lucky to have friends who got them for me.

No luck so far with the latest promo, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would all of the promo holders be willing to provide a quality scan to make everyone happy?

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caric wrote:
Would all of the promo holders be willing to provide a quality scan to make everyone happy?

whistle

I'd gladly do it, but only with MCG's permission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue with this card is that it was not a general promo. It was only for those that participated in the Slaughterfield evening event. Thus there are just a small handful of these out there.

There were no general promo cards given out at the booth as far as I am aware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
The issue with this card is that it was not a general promo. It was only for those that participated in the Slaughterfield evening event. Thus there are just a small handful of these out there.

There were no general promo cards given out at the booth as far as I am aware.

QFT

In previous years, MCG made "promos" available for sale at their booth. The Ducats card and transparent Brigand mini come to mind. This year wasn't like that. Nothing was available at the booth as promos; this was given away as participation prizes for playing in one specific event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I posted a question to Megacon in a "contact me" message to their website asking them to post the cards for a print and play item. They may not do it, but the idea is out there and who knows. Not a big deal but I wouldn't mind printing them if I get the chance or even buying them for some minimal fee in their store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The demo room was new for Megacon this year; and I believe giving free promo's for demo participation is a great way for them to "promote" their games by getting gamers to try out their games. My guess is that this is the route that they will continue in the future (a complete guess - but based on the success of the demo room,... I'd expect it to return in years to come).

BTW - you should have seen the sweet mugs that those who participated in the Bar Fight mode event got,... Now those were sweet!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.