United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this game really be collectible or will there be endless reprints like FFGs LCG games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is addressed on FFG's page for Destiny. In short, it is random-buy boosters -- a fully collectible game.

"Why collectible?

About the collectible model of Star Wars: Destiny, game designer Lukas Litzsinger said, “We haven’t made a collectible game in years, even though many gamers enjoy this format’s aspects of discovery and trading. Star Wars: Destiny is a game that could only exist within this category, and we’re excited to reenter the collectible marketplace and start supporting fans of this category once more.”

Fantasy Flight Games has strong entries into every segment of the hobby marketplace: board games, card games, roleplaying games, and miniatures games. For the past nine years, we haven’t been part of the collectible game category, but with Star Wars: Destiny, we’re proud to reenter that space of the hobby gaming market. "

"How will booster pack distribution and rarity work?

Your entry point to a game of Star Wars: Destiny is a starter set. These starter sets include a fixed set of cards with corresponding dice, plus tokens and a rulesheet, giving you everything you need for one player to start playing the game.

Booster packs for Star Wars: Destiny will include five randomized cards, one of which will feature a corresponding premium die included in the pack. In every booster pack, you will find three common cards, one uncommon card, and one rare or legendary card with a corresponding premium die. All cards that use a die are either rare or legendary cards."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
It says nothing about a reprint policy. That is what concerns me as a collector. If they consider randomness to be the only definition of collectibility then I am out. I want the value of my items to increase as a collector not to stagnate or go down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't really know yet and I'd guess we won't ever be sure unless they tell us. We don't know what their initial print run is so who is to say when if ever it will need a reprint. What we can say with some guesswork is that there will be enough printed to reasonably not have a shortage of product. This is a core or base set so they always want this set to be easy enough to find until they print a new core/base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
So what you are saying is they will print a billion packs so the game will not have collectible value. Got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm saying they could. If you are expecting this to be a limited printing like some collector cards then I think you will be disappointed. Expect this to be on the level of a Magic The Gathering base set release. We have every reason to suspect that this will be in Hobby shops and in big box stores like Walmart/Target at least with this first set. If they underproduced (ala dicemasters 1st set) then there is a decent chance it will go up in value, but if they printed what I expect they did then there will be a decent supply at least through the first 2 expansion releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I was going to blow a lot of money on this game but everything you said makes perfect sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have a similar question so i didnt want to start a new thread.

DnD dicemasters had a similar "gravity feed" booster box, and with that set if you bought an unopened case (2 gravity feeds) you would get a complete set. has anyone heard if that is the case here?

the gameplay looks awesome but the collectable aspect turns me off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
No they haven't given any details on distribution or print run. If you plan on playing the game you will need 2 sets as many characters can use 2 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Topdecker577 wrote:
No they haven't given any details on distribution or print run. If you plan on playing the game you will need 2 sets as many characters can use 2 dice.

i dont know much about the game but i saw the playthrough and it looks awesome. its FFG so i assume the rulebook isnt up yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took pics of the rublebook at gencon https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/226639-info-f...

As for getting a full set from two boxes, no, you won't be able to do that. Currently one gravity feed is around 32 packs IIRC and the legendary rare cards are 1/6 packs. So given that we have like 17 legendary cards you will need a minimum of 4 boxes to complete a set (assuming no dupes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
I took pics of the rublebook at gencon https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/226639-info-f...

As for getting a full set from two boxes, no, you won't be able to do that. Currently one gravity feed is around 32 packs IIRC and the legendary rare cards are 1/6 packs. So given that we have like 17 legendary cards you will need a minimum of 4 boxes to complete a set (assuming no dupes)

thats a shame. do we have a count on how many feeds are in a case? is it still 2? thanks for the link to the rulebook i will check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kirk
msg tools
mbmbmb
CSI lists the feed as 36 packs http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/230933
which also fits the FFG game page.

So from that with no duplicates you need 3 gravity feeds. 4 with good success and you would even have 2 of some of the dice you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtkirk86 wrote:
CSI lists the feed as 36 packs http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/230933
which also fits the FFG game page.

So from that with no duplicates you need 3 gravity feeds. 4 with good success and you would even have 2 of some of the dice you want.

yeah but we dont know if its 2,3 or 4 feeds in a case. maybe you need 4 feeds for a playset but there are 4 in a case. i asked coolstuff if they know so we will see.

i really hate collectable games lol but this looks so awesome i may have to make an exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.