Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ensign vs. Broadside rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
Someone was playing as robots and Star Roamers and I was playing as pirates. They put a microbot reclaimer, two zapbots and an ensign on a base and I played broadside.

Does it kill them all? The rulebook says ensign can't be destroyed more than once so he obviously doesn't protect all of them but can he protect any of them?

My argument is that broadside destroys everything all at once including the ensign so it can't protect anything. That's what we went with but I'm not sure if that's right. Thoughts?

For reference the text of broadside is "Destroy all of one player's minions of power 2 or less on a base where you have a minion."

I assume whatever the ruling is also applies to powderkeg and other cards where you destroy multiple minions in no specified order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Guazzelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
Broadside affect all 2 power minions at the same time, and Ensing precepts:
"Ongoing: When an opponent plays a card that directly affects ONE of your other minions here, you may have it affect this minion instead."

Ensing can't protect all 2 power minions because the text expressly says, that the player can protect only one minion.
So other 2 power minion will live another day.
Broadside can't destroy all of then, because one minion it won't be affected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Brown

Wisconsin
msg tools
xLeke wrote:
"Ongoing: When an opponent plays a card that directly affects ONE of your other minions here, you may have it affect this minion instead."

Ensing can't protect all 2 power minions because the text expressly says, that the player can protect only one minion.

If that's the text, then I'm p sure broadside would slay all the power 2 or lower minions. "..directly affects one.." right? Broadside indirectly affects any and all level 2 or lower minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
xLeke wrote:

It's not because its ability says "ONE of your other minions" that it cannot protect several minions at the same time. There is a clarification in the rulebook for the Ensign, explaining exactly how it works, with examples.

For example, if a player plays a card like Sleep Spores (Play on a base. Ongoing: Other players' minions have -1 power here). It affects several minions at the same time, but if Ensign is on that base, it can take all the -1 power that would have affected your other minions.

Regarding Broadside, you can try to redirect all the destruction on your Ensign, but it would get destroyed as soon as it protects your first minion, therefore leaving your remaining minions defenseless. However, if Ensign is immune to destruction, for example if it has a card like Lady Bug attached to it (Play on a minion. Ongoing: This minion cannot be destroyed.), then it's a different matter. In that case, Ensign can protect all your other minions from Broadside simply because it can take on all the destruction without being destroyed itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RyanDanger wrote:

If that's the text, then I'm p sure broadside would slay all the power 2 or lower minions. "..directly affects one.." right? Broadside indirectly affects any and all level 2 or lower minions.

Actually, Broadside directly affects them. It says it destroys them, so they are directly destroyed by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
msg tools
Vespert, I agree with you on all accounts, with one caveat. Broadside would destroy all minions at the same time, and the rules state that if one or more things would happen at the same time, the current player chooses the order. So, if the current player chooses the Ensign to be destroyed first (provided it isn't indestructible), it could not save any of the other minions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vespert Ilio
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not an official answer at all, but in various threads (including the Intensive FAQs), it was decided that Broadside's destruction is resolved simultaneously for all minions, there's no order to choose. That is, until an official answer confirms or disproves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick T
msg tools
Good to know thanks! Do that apply to cards that say "destroy 2 minions of power 2 or less" our only cards that say "destroy all minions that meet x condition"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
Vespert wrote:
It's not an official answer at all, but in various threads (including the Intensive FAQs), it was decided that Broadside's destruction is resolved simultaneously for all minions, there's no order to choose. That is, until an official answer confirms or disproves it.

I thought the faqs weren't finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.