Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: What do you think of the spies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've heard some pretty varied opinions on them and I want to know what BGG thinks. Are they good, are they bad, are they fun and how would rank them.

I like the idea but they seem a little lacking. Definitely support, I like the mole if only spies had actions that would work well with him. The level 5 meanwhile is one of the best 'screw you' cards in the game in my opinion (except for the ghosts and zombies). IDK it just seems like they're a deck of a bit of wasted potential but they aren't bottom tier. I'm not sure where to put them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are low tier.
They got 2 amazing specials, the great mole x2 and the annoying boss.
A faction that can recover those cards is a good partner (clerics and zombies come to mind)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin González
msg tools
They are not low tier imo. They are the only faction that lets you filter bad cards from other factions via all the draw manipulation they have. Mole is an insane 4 power minion with great interactions with other factions (being able to Mole a Mindraker is really good vs some factions.)

They only have like 2 bad cards (Discards are Forever, and maybe Permit to Kill.) They're not great, but they're a pretty unique support faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper B. Hansen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think they are okay. I recently won a 3 Player Game where I had Spies and Aliens.

I used the Spies to keep shipping all cards to the bottom of my deck if they were not either an Alien Invader, the action that let me Return all minions on a base to the owners hand or the action, that let me bounce a minion and play and extra minion.

They spies are decent, but not very flashy and you have know excatly which cards you´re are looking for in your deck. You have to have a plan form the get go for them to be effecktive.

We had a knew player playing with us (as the spies (and Aliens actually!) the other day and he thought the spies suck.

I think it is because Spies are kinda boring and not very good if you don´t know the game and your cards well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DWN021 wrote:
They are not low tier imo. They are the only faction that lets you filter bad cards from other factions via all the draw manipulation they have. Mole is an insane 4 power minion with great interactions with other factions (being able to Mole a Mindraker is really good vs some factions.)

They only have like 2 bad cards (Discards are Forever, and maybe Permit to Kill.) They're not great, but they're a pretty unique support faction.

I agree with this. Spies + Miskatonic is also a DEADLY combo. The amount of specials in both decks easily let you swing a base from last to first most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps we should say that spy's effectiveness is bound to game length (and since i play mostly 1x1 they feel low to me, as those games tend to get to the end of the deck).

Let's say their deck manipulation shines if the game takes about 31 deck cards (13 draw 2 cards phases) = 39 turns in 3p (realistic) or just 26 in 2p (unlikelly).
If the game takes longer than that they tend to get their bottom of the deck trash and to the best opponent's cards you buried. (you could circumvent the last part if you hold the right cards and count the decks - tough any re-shuffle breaks it)

However the effectiveness of their manipulation is based on a random factor - the very order of cards in decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
Da Senzai wrote:
I think they are okay. I recently won a 3 Player Game where I had Spies and Aliens.

I used the Spies to keep shipping all cards to the bottom of my deck if they were not either an Alien Invader, the action that let me Return all minions on a base to the owners hand or the action, that let me bounce a minion and play and extra minion.

They spies are decent, but not very flashy and you have know excatly which cards you´re are looking for in your deck. You have to have a plan form the get go for them to be effecktive.

We had a knew player playing with us (as the spies (and Aliens actually!) the other day and he thought the spies suck.

I think it is because Spies are kinda boring and not very good if you don´t know the game and your cards well.

I've wanted to try Alien Spies for a while now, they look amazing on paper, although I wouldn't have played them the way you did.

What I really want to try is mole + terraforming.

Oh did you just win the base and I got second? Congratulations, I'll just turn the base to Wintersquashed. Did I get first? Sweet, maybe I'll turn it into a base that gives 5+ to the winner or if it's a real close game I'll turn it to that one base from the dinosaurs where the winner gets 2 and everyone else gets 0. After all once a base starts breaking it doesn't stop. Turning it into the rhodes plaza mall, the bases where all minions have +1/-1 power or that one robot base where the winner gets 1 VP for every 5 power they have on the base are also options.

Hell with the exception of probe every single alien action could be useful when played by the mole (and probe might be useful when going against ninjas or other people that can play minions before a base scores but that's very deck specific).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Father Time wrote:
I've heard some pretty varied opinions on them and I want to know what BGG thinks. Are they good, are they bad, are they fun and how would rank them.

I like the idea but they seem a little lacking. Definitely support, I like the mole if only spies had actions that would work well with him. The level 5 meanwhile is one of the best 'screw you' cards in the game in my opinion (except for the ghosts and zombies). IDK it just seems like they're a deck of a bit of wasted potential but they aren't bottom tier. I'm not sure where to put them.

The spies are a support faction that are as good as their other faction is.

Some factions have one dimentional playstyles(Robots) that benefit from manipulating your deck to find the cards you want quickly.

Other than that, they're meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Kaup
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Overall pretty bad, since more recently released factions have an easier time playing around their Specials. They often don't actually do enough to the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
United States
Los Angeles
flag msg tools
mb
I think the combined pool of wisdom from BGG is saying:
- The Spies are not very good at taking bases by themselves.
- The strength of the Spies depends on who they are with and who they are against. They have synergy with factions that want just the right card/combo (Dinosaurs, Warriors, Mad Scientists). They can counter factions that are action heavy and can't take a strong lead on bases (Secret Agent vs Wizards, Geeks, or Mythic Greeks).
- The Spies are better when you have a clear strategy, which requires experience with both of your factions. Not a great deck for beginners, who will probably not maximize the deck manipulation.

In summary, the Spies are a situational support faction, like several other decks. They play well when chosen well, but through utility more than base power. Take care how you partner them and you'll enjoy them quite a bit! (With Aliens is good for abilities but you'll rarely get first place on a base in 4-player game because you lack minion power.)

Which factions do you all think work well with Spies? Best if they've been verified by gameplay, since some faction pairs sound synergetic but tend to be outplayed easily (e.g. Robot Wizards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see....

Spies are good you if you have several combos on your partner (like rex-rampage, bucaneer-Powderkeg, fixer-alpha) - they have a few combos themselves - (discards are forever-minion, permittokill-operative) - they can also hinder such combos from your opponents, even if somewhat unreliably.

Card draw tend to protect your opponents (or just sheer luck). Altough "The Spy Who Ditched Me" x2 is pure evil.

Good partners revolve around:
Card draw (grab specials and better cards often/quicker)
Strong actions (for mole usage, and to use instead of nothing on the "free" turns that place instead of their specials)
Card recovery from discard pile (recover specials and good minions)

Cyber apes should do good, since they are really good at comboing by themselves, hence benefiting a lot from deck manipulation to setup a good jetpack-clide combo

Fairies have ok actions (a handful can be quite impressive with mole, and even the ones with discard option can be good to try to grab a special in a pintch), however their high versatility and reasonable card draw is good to capitalize on deck manipulation. Puck allows some combos otherwise impossible.

Cats offer good material for comboing - the proverbial queen+whiskers is great - mole-catpawns/hissy fit is frightful

Princess benefit a lot from the deck manipulation, almost ensuring a minion each turn. The spies' specials free up some space to use the excessive actions.

Mages can discard spies' situational cards for their spells (and cycle the deck faster).

Super Heroes get some mileage from deck manipulation (not a lot, but should have interesting results). Their actions can be somewhat good with the mole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.