Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Kidder
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game, one of the players used Angry as Heck to score a ton of points. I'm curious if we understood the card correctly. The text on the card says "If the game hasn't ended, you my score double viewers for this show, then discard all its stars." The designer has clarified that this ability can only be used in the 4th or 5th season and not the final round of scoring.

However, several questions still came up about it's usage.

1) Does using this card's ability count as a free action that you can do anytime during a season or does it take the place of a regular action (meaning your entire turn will be this shows's action)?

2) The card does not imply that the show gets cancelled or aged when you take this action. Does that sound correct? We ruled that the show was neither cancelled or aged because the card doesn't state that. Our only issue was that a show with a mandatory prerequisite of having a star attached might get nuked if it ever had no stars, but the rules only talk about those prerequisites being assessed when a show is added to your lineup.

3) When you score double viewers, do you count the star's (and/or a promo's) viewers as well? The player in questions had the Dashing Lead on Angry as Heck, in it's second season (Show viewers: 7 and Star Viewers: 4) and used the card action to immediately score, but we weren't sure if that meant she earned 14 viewers or 22. We ruled 14 during the game, but revised that to 22 afterwards as that makes more sense.

4) On a subsequent action after performing this show's action, can you attach another star to Angry as Heck? You can replace an existing star filling the mandatory star slot with the Attach Star action, per the rules, so I'm assuming you can.

5) Assuming you are allowed to attach another star, are you allowed to perform this show's Action again? Nothing on the card suggests it's a one time use, but if you had enough stars in your green room this could turn into a serious point factory. You could easily wait until you are the last player to drop and budget and cycle through star after star in your green room scoring ~20+ points for each one. This seems kind of crazy (although thematically I do like the idea of a reality show getting monster ratings for driving star after star bonkers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crixtey
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding would be:

1. It's not an action during the season, but rather an optional action during scoring, After you have dropped and budgeted.

2. Therefor the show is indeed not cancelled, You would then age the show appropriately and move on to the next season without any stars. Nor would the show then get nuked for not having stars, Those are requirements to land a show, not maintain one.

3. Yes you would also include viewers attributed from Stars and Promos, however you wouldn't have to discard the promo's since they are Ads.

4. In the next season you would be able to attach a new star for one of your actions.

5. Though this is genius strategy in theory, and you're right a funny thematic usage. It's not possible since this is a scoring action, and not one taken during the season.

Gil will almost certainly weigh in soon to confirm the ruling on this, since he's pretty awesome about doing that on these message boards. But that would be my interpretation of the scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great movie, great character and great scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frogfan4 wrote:
My understanding would be:

1. It's not an action during the season, but rather an optional action during scoring, After you have dropped and budgeted.

2. Therefor the show is indeed not cancelled, You would then age the show appropriately and move on to the next season without any stars. Nor would the show then get nuked for not having stars, Those are requirements to land a show, not maintain one.

3. Yes you would also include viewers attributed from Stars and Promos, however you wouldn't have to discard the promo's since they are Ads.

4. In the next season you would be able to attach a new star for one of your actions.

5. Though this is genius strategy in theory, and you're right a funny thematic usage. It's not possible since this is a scoring action, and not one taken during the season.

Gil will almost certainly weigh in soon to confirm the ruling on this, since he's pretty awesome about doing that on these message boards. But that would be my interpretation of the scenario

These answers are all correct. Mainly, "Angry as Heck" has a power, not an action; you do not spend an action on your turn to use it.

So to answer the last question, you could use its power in two Seasons at most: Season 4 and Season 5, as that's when the show could come out earliest. Of course, you'd have to Sign and Attach new Stars in Season 5 to best use the power.

And to answer this before it gets asked: You can't use Angry as Heck's special power with the Split Season network card. Split Season only works at the end of the turn.

(The weird thing about this card is that its mechanism is a bit of a spoiler for the source material...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kidder
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. Treating it as a special action during scoring makes all the difference. We were assuming the show's power was like any of the network cards that allow immediate scoring like Viewers or Split Season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you double the total viewers (i.e. show + stars + promo ads if on the show) amd THEN discard the stars? Or just double the show value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solanthos wrote:
Do you double the total viewers (i.e. show + stars + promo ads if on the show) amd THEN discard the stars? Or just double the show value?

You double everything (show + Stars + promos) then discard the stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thanks for the quick response, Gil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.