John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Just a few of the questions that have popped up during play:

When you already have a fleet and you build ships, can you add those to the fleet for free? I've said yes, and GF9's rulings have muddied it a little saying that you have to do a move command but it doesn't have to have anything to do the with fleet.

If you brave a hazard with a science fleet and fail, do you still get the research? I've said yes, because "at least 1 ships survives".

Cult of Kahless: do they still get to attack with those ships?
Also, can the ships you destory be the ones hit by the opponent? Ex. If you have a 10 fleet and they have 4 ships. You sacrifice 4 ship and they roll 3 hits. Does that mean you lose 7 ships total or just the 4?

Can you do the 1 culture Hegemony just to remove the opponents control node? You can invade and just destory. If you can't, then what happenes if you manage Hegemony but only have 1 culture token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:

When you already have a fleet and you build ships, can you add those to the fleet for free? I've said yes, and GF9's rulings have muddied it a little saying that you have to do a move command but it doesn't have to have anything to do the with fleet.

When you build three or more ships you can create a new fleet during the build phase. You cannot add them to an existing fleet. When a fleet begins or ends its move it can add ships from its location.

Quote:
If you brave a hazard with a science fleet and fail, do you still get the research? I've said yes, because "at least 1 ships survives".

Yes. As long as one ship survives the hazard you get the research.

Quote:
Also, can the ships you destory be the ones hit by the opponent? Ex. If you have a 10 fleet and they have 4 ships. You sacrifice 4 ship and they roll 3 hits. Does that mean you lose 7 ships total or just the 4?

No. The advancement says, "instead of rolling to hit..."
At the beginning of the round you would pick the ships that are not rolling dice and destroy them right away. Your opponent would then allocate his hits to other ships. In your example you would lose 7 ships.

Quote:
Can you do the 1 culture Hegemony just to remove the opponents control node? You can invade and just destory. If you can't, then what happenes if you manage Hegemony but only have 1 culture token?

The rule book is not clear on this. It does say may spend a second culture token to take control so that part is definitely optional. I not clear on if the other factions control node is still removed in that case or not.

[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Mundane wrote:
John1701 wrote:

When you build three or more ships you can create a new fleet during the build phase. You cannot add them to an existing fleet. When a fleet begins or ends its move it can add ships from its location.

Quote:

Yes. As long as one ship survives the hazard you get the research.

Quote:

No. The advancement says, "instead of rolling to hit..."
At the beginning of the round you would pick the ships that are not rolling dice and destroy them right away. Your opponent would then allocate his hits to other ships. In your example you would lose 7 ships.

Quote:

The rule book is not clear on this. It does say may spend a second culture token to take control so that part is definitely optional. I not clear on if the other factions control node is still removed in that case or not.

[/q]

On the first point, GF9 has ruled that the fleet doesn't have to move or move a ship to the location. The rules just say when you execute a move command, so that any move command by any ships anywhere count. Building new ships and adding them just cuts out the middle man.

And I think Cult of Kahless replaces your entire roll to hit. It just says "instead of rolling to hit...".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:

by the rules you are correct but if i recall correctly there was a post about this earlier from GF9 that basically said (and i am paraphrasing) you can add or remove ships from a fleet any time you are not in the middle of another action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Klaxas wrote:
Mundane wrote:

by the rules you are correct but if i recall correctly there was a post about this earlier from GF9 that basically said (and i am paraphrasing) you can add or remove ships from a fleet any time you are not in the middle of another action.

I thought there was something like that, but I wasn't sure. I know that they said that you could disband one at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In regards hegemony, if you spend 1 culture and succeed on the roll, then you choose not to spend the second culture, then the hegemony attempt has no effect. You do not remove the existing control node unless you are replacing it with your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) i would say you are allowed to add ships to an existing fleet, i dont see any reason why you could create a new fleet but not add to an existing one with exactly the same action of building ships.

2) the rules are clear you get the research if at least one ship survives the hazard, so yes.

3) the cult replaces the ship's normal to hit roll, its not in addition to their roll.
since you select the ships to be sacrificed at the moment of rolling the dice, while you apply any hits after the dice rolling, so yes the hits can only be applied to ships that werent sacrificed before for a total loss of 7 ships.

4) attempting hegemony is just that, an attempt. even after a succesful negotiation may you decide against it after all.
the rules dont say you remove the existing control node after a succesful attempt, you just take control when spending the 2nd culture token. planets will not return to a neutral state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:

If you already have a Fleet in play, you can add newly built or existing ships directly to the stationary Fleet without issuing a Command. The rule on pg. 22 which states “You may add or remove Ships from Fleets before or after a Movement Command. You cannot add or remove Ships from a Fleet mid-Movement.” prevents you from adding ships to a Fleet that is moving at Impulse or Warp. Otherwise, you may move ships in and out of Fleets as you’d like, on your turn - a Fleet cannot scoop up extra ships as it is warping across the quadrant, it has to stop its movement.

Consider this official errata / clarification:

Adding & Removing Ships from Fleets
On your turn, you may add or remove Ships from Fleets, in the same Sector, without using a Command. You cannot add or remove Ships from a Fleet mid-movement. You do not have to be in your Home System or at a Starbase to add or remove Ships from a Fleet.

John1701 wrote:

That’s correct. When it comes to taking the Research from a Phenomenon, you just have to have at least one Ship survive the Hazard (to report back the findings). There’s not a “success” or “Failure” when Braving a Hazard – just survival or destruction.

John1701 wrote:

The Klingon Advancement “Cult of Kahless” states, “In each Round of a Space Battle, instead of Rolling to Hit, you may destroy any of your Ships to destroy the same number of Rival Ships.” This effect is “instead of Rolling to Hit”, so you don’t Roll to Hit at all, with any of your Ships. In the above example, you can’t choose to destroy 2 Ships to Score two Hits, then Roll to Hit with the remaining 8 Ships.

Any Hits your opponents Scores are in addition to any Ships you’ve chosen to destroy. In the above example, you would lose 7 ships. That would be a poor Tactical Officer who chose to fire on already destroyed ships!

John1701 wrote:

Pg. 21 states “It normally requires spending at least two Culture Tokens to take Control of a System via Hegemony: one to make the attempt and another to take Control, if the attempt was successful.”

If you don’t have 2 Culture, you can’t Hegemony a System, unless you have an Advancement that reduces the cost of Hegemony. There isn’t an option to just spend 1 Culture and remove the opponent’s Control Node.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Jordan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
What I'm wondering about Cult of Kahless is:

Does the enemy still get to roll attacks for the ships you have destroyed using Cult of Kahless' effect?

Example:
Klingons have 10 ships. Federation has 4 ships. First round of combat, Klingons choose to destroy 4 of their ships to destroy 4 Federation ships. Does the Federation still get to roll attacks for their 4 ships before they die?

Edit: I suppose the Federation would still get a chance to fight back before they were killed. BUT if the Klingons had FIRST STRIKE as well, then the Federation would indeed lose their ships without a chance at retaliation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
andyjobo wrote:
What I'm wondering about Cult of Kahless is:

Does the enemy still get to roll attacks for the ships you have destroyed using Cult of Kahless' effect?

Example:
Klingons have 10 ships. Federation has 4 ships. First round of combat, Klingons choose to destroy 4 of their ships to destroy 4 Federation ships. Does the Federation still get to roll attacks for their 4 ships before they die?

Edit: I suppose the Federation would still get a chance to fight back before they were killed. BUT if the Klingons had FIRST STRIKE as well, then the Federation would indeed lose their ships without a chance at retaliation.

Cult of Kahless does not give the Klingons first strike so the Federation ships would make an attack role. If the Klingons had researched cloaking devices then they would have first strike and the Federation would not make an attack role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.