18 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: My mini painting thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Petri H
Finland
flag msg tools
Shadows of Brimstone, what a great game... I think! I haven't actually played the game yet because I really need to paint the miniatures first. I've heard so many good things about the game so it can't be bad, right?

Anyhow, I'm a complete noob at miniature painting and I'm learning as I go. I'll be posting pics and reports about my work here, in the hope that this is interesting to fellow gamers who are into painting. Any advice, tips, criticism, comments welcome!

Like I said I haven't painted any minis before but I have a background at visual arts (3D graphics) so knowing which colors usually work together should at least help a little on my way. I'm working quite slowly and making many mistakes along the way. I think it will take me a month to finish all the 32 figs in my Swamps of Death base set.

I started with tentacles as I figured they should be easiest to paint (no small details, just two colors). I started by painting one of them so I could try different colors and once I was happy with them I painted the rest. I used Army Painter's paints for base and two layers of Citadel's Carroburg Crimson shade for washing (I wanted a really gritty look), followed by drybrushing with ultramarine blue. I got sand from a nearby kindergarden's playground and glued it to the base using superglue. I used Army Painter's matte varnish to seal the minis.

I made several mistakes. I had to repaint the figure because I used too much water and the paint started running and.. well it became very messy fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
on my mini's I use clumping kitty litter to 'sand' the bases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Those look great for a first time!

For the bases, especially with the tentacles (although it's a little late now), plan to paint the sand a really dark color, than drybrush a mid tone and then a lighter tone on top of that. With the tentacles, if you do that with the painted rocks at the base of the model as well, they will seem like the same ground. Right now the rocks at the bottom don't match the sand.

If you want to add a little more life to those tentacles, paint a small line of light pink at the very top of each of the suckers, where the light would it them. Those kind of edge highlights really make something stand out.

With painting, even without a lot of experience, there are a lot of techniques you can do to make things look amazing. The problem is that each step adds a lot of time, so you have to balance your objectives. I have a bunch of games I'm painting, so for me, Brimstone is going to get the quickest paint job I can give it, with the exception of the models that I really like.

If you did up your whole set in the way you painted these tentacles, you'll have a great looking game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri H
Finland
flag msg tools
Thanks for comments and tips guys! I have to ask a friend who has a cat if I could "borrow" some of his cat litter

Yeah, I was having a hard time making the bases and I'm not really satisfied with how they look... I tried painting them with AP's Oak Brown first but the color looks very saturated which I thought would not fit well with the subtle grey rocks... Could you give some advice on what colors to use?

I bought some more Army Painter stuff today from my FLGS (this game has already cost me a fortune, because I have to buy all the paints, brushes, primers, shades. etc!): Brown Battleground, Battleground Rocks and Mountain Tufts. I'm trying them on my next batch of minis.

Thanks for the tip regarding highlighting edges! I had not thought about shading towards the direction of light (edges facing up).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!!!

I think the bases look fine. Do a search for basing tutorials when you get to the guys you glue directly to a base (eg. heroes).

Do the monsters before the heroes. Reaper has a second Learn to Paint Kit to learn fleshtones availabel at FRPGames: http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=117920

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
petrih wrote:

Yeah, I was having a hard time making the bases and I'm not really satisfied with how they look... I tried painting them with AP's Oak Brown first but the color looks very saturated which I thought would not fit well with the subtle grey rocks... Could you give some advice on what colors to use?

I don't think it matters what colors, as long as you're painting the sand and the plastic rocks the same color. Start with a dark brown or black to cover completely, than drybrush with a medium brown, then with a lighter touch drybrush with a light brown. Do the same technique with the rocks at the bottom of the tentacles, painting dark, then drybrushing medium, then a light drybrush of a lighter color. As long as you use the same colors, it will look like the rocks are part of the ground with the sand, rather than being a completely different element.

Even if you don't change anything, it still looks nice, a million times better than the unpainted plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri H
Finland
flag msg tools
Ah, ok, now I got what you meant! Thanks for the advice, Mark. I will keep this in mind when doing the next batch of minis, the Hell Bats.

I just got these to keep me busy during the long winter nights. I'm planning to finish the base set first before cracking them open, otherwise I have never time to actually play the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I love those Harvesters, those and the Guardian are the things that actually pushed me over the edge to get the game, along with the idea of the derelict ship coming out next year.

Good luck with the painting, hopefully you still enjoy it when you're finished with them all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great, Petri! Here's a thread of painting from a couple of us that might give you some good ideas and tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri H
Finland
flag msg tools
Bum Kim, thank you! There's a lot of great material in that thread! I will certainly go through it.

I just finished painting Hell Bats. I used Army Painter's Greenskin for basecoat and Biel-Tan shade from Citadel for washing. I tried to steer away from traditional goblin skin color so I used Foul Green, which tints towards cyan, for drybrushing. I struggled with drybrushing a lot and had to cover up several mistakes which slowed me down. Sometimes I got big clumps of paint, sometimes barely no paint at all on the mini when drybrushing. Is it supposed to be this hard? *shrugs*

For the base I glued Army Painter's Battleground rocks on the base and painted them with the same color as the plastic rocks. I then glued Brown Battleground and did not bother painting it at all as it saved time. Not completely satisfied how the base looks, the scale of brown gravel seems to be too large, but hey at least it's quite fast to do.

Painting the teeth, red gills (or are they eyes?) and wing "bones" was quite tricky but they add so much. Overall these minis very a *lot* slower to paint compared to tentacles. Heck, I must have spent at least 8 hours on just these 6 minis.

I find the sculpts of Hell Bats a bit lacking. Especially the bottom part where the tail interacts with the rocks. There is hardly any separation between the two materials, so shading the boundary is hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
petrih wrote:

For the base I glued Army Painter's Battleground rocks on the base and painted them with the same color as the plastic rocks. I then glued Brown Battleground and did not bother painting it at all as it saved time. Not completely satisfied how the base looks, the scale of brown gravel seems to be too large, but hey at least it's quite fast to do.

If you take the time to paint the base again, with the same colors you painted the rocks, than it will all come together. It's time consuming, so you may not want to do it, but you can always go back to it later.

For the gravel scale, the solution is to use the finest sand you can find. Put glue on the base, plunk down a couple of bigger rocks, than a small pinch of the gravel, and then finish covering it with the sand. This gives you a few different textures, and the sand is fine enough that it doesn't make it look like there's just a bunch of rocks. You will definitely need to paint the base afterwards, but this should solve your issue.

As for the drybrushing, the key is to have very little paint coming off of the brush. I've found that once I load the brush and get as much off on a paper towel as I can, I wait about 10 seconds and then go on the towel again. If you aren't getting much off of the drybrush when painting, just do another coat, better too little than too much. It is tricky at first, and I try to avoid drybrushing as much as possible, but can definitely save time when doing big fleets of enemies. It works much better on models with lots of sharp edges, so it's not as effective on models like these flying snakes.

A little tip with drybrushing: If you want to get more of a light effect, always drybrush from above, heading down. This won't do as much if you're just trying to acentuate texture, but it will make it so the brightest points are at the top where the light hits.

Spending an hour or more per mini is really par for the course if you want them to look nice. With time you'll get faster, but short of just slathering a single color on them and then washing them, if you want them to look nice it takes some time. If you get to the next level of painting, with paints that are more watered down, and layering, don't be surprised if you spend 3 hours per figure.

When I paint faces (right now I'm doing zombicide), I end up having to do about 3 coats of flesh color to get it to look right. I then paint the white of the eyes, and then the black of the eyes. Then I have to come back with the skin tone to cover the white/black that went out of where I wanted it. Then I do a brown or skin tone wash. I then use the original color to brighten up the places that aren't in shadow, and then highlight the bright points, like the forehead, nose, cheeks, etc. This is the faster method of doing it, because if you want to take a little longer, you can skip the wash and paint in all of the shadows in layers. I try to do batches of figures, and for the set I'm working on now (12 heroes from zombicide), I've spent about 3 hours so far just on getting flesh paint and faces. My guess is that each one will be about 2 hours worth of work. Considering I've got 2 sets to paint, with a total of about 100 heroes, I'm hoping to be finished before the end of the year (and that probably won't happen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri H
Finland
flag msg tools
Many thanks for the advice! Much appreciated. What I probably need to do, is to get some extra bases to practice on and try different styles and techniques. I want to have a consistent look so I probably need to come back to fix the issues with the tentacle and hell bat bases. But I really need to settle down on the style and technique first, otherwise the terain on each batch of minis will look different.

Re: drybrushing. I think the 10 sec pause might be the key I'm missing. Just one more question, do you water down the paint at all? I've been using the stuff straight from the bottle without wetting the brush.

Your mini painting project sounds grand and the amount of work and detail you put into minis sounds staggering! I probably can't afford that much time per mini, so I need to learn to make less mistakes (covering up messy drybrush work is time consuming). In fact my summer vacation is ending and I'm going back to work tomorrow, so progress will be slower.

Have fun with your Zombicide project!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note, I would say use the colours you feel are right, which are not necessarily those recommended by FFP, though they do look good. Give them your own touch. Green is everywhere :/. My Colonel Scafford has red tentacles and a full beard. Go with your imagination. .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri H
Finland
flag msg tools
Bern, true true!

As a quick evening project I painted these three ladies. I imagine them lying on the ground for several years before the scoundrels come, so they should look dusty and dull, almost greyish. I used very thin basecoat over grey primer, followed by heavy coat of Agrax Earthshade. After that only very light touch up on the rose and head. I skipped drybrushing enterily because of the diffuse look I was aiming for. All in all a good exercise of working with thin paint layers.

I'll do the bases after I have practiced on dummy bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Never water down paint for drybrushing. The goal is to have as little moisture as possible (hence the name), which keeps the paint from spreading around.

You don't need to pause before starting, I just found that at first it helped, because it's easy to start while the brush is still too wet. You can also just brush onto a paper towel until you don't see any paint coming off at all, then brush a bit on the back of your thumb to make sure. As soon as you don't see anything at all coming off, then start the drubrushing, and the paint that is remaining should only come off on the sharper edges. Once you get the hang of it, it's not super difficult.

Here's the only SoB mini I've painted so far, just because I loved the model. For the base, the large rocks under the foot are part of the model, so you can see what it looks like when you get everything a matching color, it ties it all together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri H
Finland
flag msg tools
Wow your SoB mini looks awesome! How long have you been painting minis?

I practiced on some dummy bases and finally got the hang of it. I glued one layer of rocks, one layer of gravel, one layer of sand and painted it all dark brown. Then two layers of drybrushing. Drybrushing is now a lot easier thanks to your advice. I was just too impatient before and did not wipe the brush enough.

I have finished all the zombies now. 24/32 minis done, yay! Here they are:

Next I'm going to fix the bases of Hell Bats. Luckily the gravel is just cork so I can easily peel it off without dulling my hobby knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri H
Finland
flag msg tools
And here are the fixed hell bat bases. Much better I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri H
Finland
flag msg tools
Slashers finished! I got an airbrush lesson from my friend who also kindly borrowed me his equipment (thanks Juho!). Basically I tried to copy the colors from the manual. Lazy and boring yes but I really like the official color scheme of these bad guys...

Only 5 more minis left! Good because I really want to play this game before I get bored with the minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.