Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad McGown
United States
Pittsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone had this problem? I had an auction that finished a few days ago, and the winners have been contacted multiple times with no responses. Is this common? If so, how do you generally handle it? I know they are logging into their account because if you go to their profile, you can see they last login day. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Eisenberger

spotsylvania
Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had the same problem several time. The order was posted to marketplace, the order was confirmed....all the way up to payment....then silence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Auctions are not legally binding. So it is always a possibility

2) You can always contact the next highest bidder, while of course sending an email to the unresponsive winner informing them that they are losing the item to the next bidder

3) You can contact BGG, but don't expect a lot.

4) If they ever bid again, you politely inform them that their future bids will not be honored if they are winning.

I have had 1 "local pickup", be unable for us to arrange a meeting as they did not have a car. Another was unresponsive, and that was annoying. But, it is just "Too Bad".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McGown
United States
Pittsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't even gotten to the order confirmed part. They won the auction and I immediately messaged them telling the next steps and then, silence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
I pm them after a Payment Reminder thing.

Also, how many days has it been? Which day did your auction end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McGown
United States
Pittsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been 3 days, which I know is not a TON of time. My issue is that I know they are getting on BGG and are not even responding to anything I send them. Also, I can't ping them with a payment reminder because they haven't picked up the stuff from the marketplace yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess offer to the next bidder or post it in the Marketplace without Buyer Restrictions.

If it is a good price it will sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Statesville
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this does happen. It could be for a variety of reasons, but if you have had a problem with it, just state in your rules that payment must be made within X days from the auction closing time or the item will be offered to the next bidder in line.

I find the key is always communication. If you're canceling their bid, say so, preferably with a little warning first. If you are a buyer, and if you can't pay, say so. If you got held up, say so. If you simply screwed up, say so. If you are new to BGG and don't know how to pay or confirm, just ask! If you are backing out, at least say so with some explanation. Backing out is uncouth, but AT LEAST take responsibility and communicate.

We're all people here, good people I might add, and we just need to take the initiative to communicate to each other. We have these amazing devices with instantaneous communication methods, after all. This would likely solve 99% of all the heartache, frustrations and hurt feelings in our dear BGG community.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
After that, find them in a dark alley and get your money!

But, yes, very well pointed-out'd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Day
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If they got it for a good price, send me an email and if it's a game I want I'll buy it from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
last login is not really all that helpful...(if you see they posted something, that is helpful). The reason I mention this is some people use BGG as their home page. So if a wife, niece, nephew, brother, sister, mother, or any random person opens up a browser on your machine - BOOM! you have been logged in. If I am trying to track someone down, I will look at their posting history... If they are unresponsive and posting on BGG, you know you are being ignored
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bm_eagle wrote:
It has been 3 days, which I know is not a TON of time. My issue is that I know they are getting on BGG and are not even responding to anything I send them. Also, I can't ping them with a payment reminder because they haven't picked up the stuff from the marketplace yet.

I would also like to add that just because BGG says they've logged in, doesn't mean they've actually SEEN the site. They could have a half a dozen tabs, BGG one of them, that open whenever they open a browser. That would ping the servers and say hey we're here, without them ever looking at that tab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here or not here, I always know when items I am bidding on end, so I am checking in to see the final results. Why bid up an auction and then not pay it any attention? If it wasn't due to an emergency it is just bad form! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbaileymusic wrote:

We're all people here, good people I might add,

This is not entirely true. Believe it or not, there are malicious people online that have had to be reported and removed from BGG marketplace/auction access because they serially bid on items when they have no intention of honoring their bids and then try to negotiate a lower deal. BGG Admins have been very good at dealing with those violators when the situation warrants and the evidence is clear (in my case, it was from multiple sellers--I reached out to other auctioneers whose items the user had bid on to see if he flaked out on them as well)

Your case, however, does not sound like cause for concern just yet. People have a lot of things that come up unexpectedly in their daily lives...vacations, disruptions, etc. It's not unusual for a winning bidder to go silent for a couple days and then respond apologetically with an explanation. People's attention to BGG can vary substantially. I would give it a few more days and if still nothing, see if the user is experienced with auctions or is newer to the community. 9 times out of 10 (if not more often) it's easily resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bailey
United States
Statesville
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandakai wrote:
jbaileymusic wrote:

We're all people here, good people I might add,

Believe it or not, there are malicious people online that have had to be reported and removed from BGG marketplace/auction access because they serially bid on items when they have no intention of honoring their bids and then try to negotiate a lower deal. BGG Admins have been very good at dealing with those violators when the situation warrants and the evidence is clear (in my case, it was from multiple sellers--I reached out to other auctioneers whose items the user had bid on to see if he flaked out on them as well)

You are so right Derek. My comment was a general statement--I assume the best in all of you wonderful people. I admit that I myself have indeed run across several "users," who were mostly new users, who behaved rather rashly and a bit too odd for my taste. I was able to steer clear of them by following my nose. Especially when I noticed them bidding wildly on multiple auctions at the same time. It can help to do a little detective work in these cases.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, it you have an item for sale, and your auction bidder fell through, just open it up to the public at that price in the market place.

Might need to post an alert on the trades forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Ginley
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
just state in your rules that payment must be made within X days from the auction closing time or the item will be offered to the next bidder in line.

Agree, that seems the best solution

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rumble wrote:
As others have said, it you have an item for sale, and your auction bidder fell through, just open it up to the public at that price in the market place.

Might need to post an alert on the trades forum.

I have had this happen and the I have little to no luck contacting the second and third place bidders as well. I guess from their standpoint they lost so may as well just move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.