Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
are you talking about Strat-O-Matic Baseball and Replay Baseball?

Asking for "best" and "least complicated" are tough adjectives to get into one sentence

Strat-o-Matic has several options to make the game as complicated as you like. As with most games, the more realistic that you want the game, the more "complicated" it can become. But with any baseball boardgame, once you understand and are familiar with the engine, it becomes significantly less complicated

Replay Baseball is an old game but from what I remember playing it, offered up it's own level of detail and strategy. What I'm not sure of is the statistical accuracy of Replay Baseball. I know that Strat-o-matic has been shown to be pretty accurate when it comes to player attributes (that is, if a batter hit .300 and slugged 30 homers in real life, expect comparable numbers in strat-o-matic)

Sorry my answer isn't more terse. Both games are good, I've played both, but I LIKE a game with whistles and bells (read: complicated).

Note that there are many other attributes that you might want to look for in a baseball boardgame. Playing time could be important. Or the ability to use current players, or historical players. There are tons of great baseball games out there that offer all different levels of gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and they are very good. Strat-O-Matic gets more and more realistic if you used the advanced or super-advanced features. I also like the fact that you can read the result right off the card (although, sometimes you need to refer to other charts for fielding range, errors, ballpark effects and a few other things). With Replay, the dice rolls give you 2 numbers: 1 off the pitcher's card and 1 off the batter's card. You need to add the 2 numbers together and then look them up on a chart to see the result. So, it's an extra step (but it's still a quick game to play).

For enjoyability, they each have features that I like. Strat is probably more statistically accurate (not to say that Replay is inaccurate, I just don't get the impression that it's as accurate as strat). That being said, I'm not sure you really need great statistical accuracy unless you plan on playing a complete season or at least several hundred games. You won't notice variations if you only play "one off" games and don't keep cumulative statistics. With either game, base stealers will steal a lot of bases, homerun hitters will hit a lot of homeruns, and terrible fielders will cause you to lose ballgames. So, game by game, you will see the players perform as you would expect them to in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Orr
United States
Saugerties
New York
flag msg tools
I have had both games and have played a complete NYY season with both of them. Both Strat and Replay produced fairly accurate stats but neither matched the actual results. IMHO there is no difference in accuracy btw the two. I sold my strat collection and have kept Replay. I had Strat first but it always bothered me that you had to get the result off of either the pitcher or batter card. You would have a good/power hitter up and the result came off of the pitcher card. With Replay both pitcher and hitter cards interact to get the result. I like that. I know others may disagree, but I like that both players give you the result. I now only play Replay. But that's me. Hope my opinion helps you decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through the same debate as you and I ended up with Replay. The components are nicer in my opinion and the customer service was amazing. I also like the interplay between pitcher and batter. I also purchased History Maker Baseball, but I'll be spending most of my time with Replay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, if you're looking for a game with interesting pitcher-batter interaction, you might want to take a look at Box Seat Baseball. It's a lesser-known game, but I really enjoy it and the designer seems to be a great guy based on my e-mail correspondence with him when I bought the game several years ago. He has tweaked it since the version I bought and I may end up buying a newer version.

Another good one is Payoff Pitch Baseball. The first roll is on the pitcher's card and it will tell you the pitch location (for instance, "WHEELHOUSE"). Then you check another roll in the corresponding section of the batter's card. So, "WHEELHOUSE" means the batter has a pretty good chance of smashing the ball, while if the pitch is "TOUGH" the batter is less likely to hit it.

There's also Inside Pitch Baseball, which uses a matrix system on the batter and pitcher cards. All are fun games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Palmer
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynasty League Baseball is a great game that is the engine that drives the Internet Baseball League (ibl.org if anyone is interested)

Statis Pro Baseball is a great one from SI from years back which I played several seasons through. The cards instead of dice makes it a bit clumsy.

Longball is long since gone, but was a really fun dice-based game. Still around on some old game sites and ebay

SherCo Baseball is coming out with a new/revised version of their classic. I'm really looking forward to that one.

bottom line, there are some GREAT baseball boardgames out there. You hardly can go wrong whichever you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Jackson
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been years, but I, too, had strat-o-matic, but bought and kept Replay, probably for much the same reasons that others have stated. Plus I like finding the hidden gem and choosing it instead of the more popular choice that lots of people own. Back in the early to mid 1980s, Strat was by far the more popular choice.

I've played hundreds of games of Replay, and one thing I can add to this discussion is that looking up the result in a book isn't as irritating as it sounds. You quickly come to know certain results. For example, if the batter has a certain number on the part of his card that is activated, he's going to homer against any pitcher, no matter how good he is. So by the time you are a few dozen games in, you maybe only have to look up half of the results in the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.