Subject: Long Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
A game design that I've been thinking about would work best with small, long, skinny cards. Say like 1.5" x 3". I assume that this an uncommon size/aspect ratio.

I'm curious if anyone has any sense of how difficult (costly) it would be to produce a game using a non-standard card size, versus one of the off-the-shelf sizes? Or is it really not a factor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
having your own size would be expensive because the manufacturer would then charge you for new tooling to cut a different size.

How do you feel about trying tarot card size? 2.75" x 4.75"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hm, actually it looks like there's a size called "domino" that's 1.75" by 3.5", which is close enough.

The tarot size would be too large I think. In the game, players would be building connections between card stacks, so the cards would need to be fairly small so that the table doesn't fill up entirely.

I tried Googling once before but my search terms must have been busted. Thanks for answering though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
I'm curious if anyone has any sense of how difficult (costly) it would be to produce a game using a non-standard card size, versus one of the off-the-shelf sizes? Or is it really not a factor?

The most non-standard card size I know of are in the Pack'O Games series (games like BUS and TAJ) which uses gum-sticker-size cards. Check with the designer/publisher to query about how to deal with manufacturing a custom size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
Thanks for answering though.

HA!
no, thank you. I didn't know "domino" standard size existed. I'm off to add that to my useful sizing list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.