Subject: what's the point of squares? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the rules (very well done btw), but I don't really get the point of squares.

Are they really just there to increase city size and take advantage of the fact that you can build one + one house with an action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Hollander
Netherlands
Roosendaal
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is asked each time I explained the game for the first time to people. But after playing one game everybody understands why placing an additional object in your turn is so important.

First it helps to increase your (biggest) city by one.
Second it can block the route of your opponent(s). You can simply block their way to a important object (temple or statue), so they have to move around it. Or you can use it so block access to a mine (which is very important, because you need marble to expand).

So try the game out yourself and after your first game, you'll recognize the importance of squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoje wrote:
This question is asked each time I explained the game for the first time to people. But after playing one game everybody understands why placing an additional object in your turn is so important.

First it helps to increase your (biggest) city by one.
Second it can block the route of your opponent(s). You can simply block their way to a important object (temple or statue), so they have to move around it. Or you can use it so block access to a mine (which is very important, because you need marble to expand).

So try the game out yourself and after your first game, you'll recognize the importance of squares.

Thanks!

That's kinda what I figured, they are there to place an additional piece for one action. Just didn't know if I missed something, I'm sure they have tactical importance that is better realized with experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Anthonissen
Belgium
Mol
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
I guess the game needed an extra object as a blocker that you can build the same time when you build a house...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Squares seem pretty minor, but of importance for what they are not: marble scoring features. As far as I can tell, that's it. Because of that they're better used for blocking opponents, as others mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.