Subject: Moon Tower and Amusement Park? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Pieper
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Moon Tower: You may roll three dice on your turn. If you do, remove one of the dice after rolling and only count the remaining two.

Amusement Park: If you roll doubles, take another turn after this one.

Aaron has built the Moon Tower and Amusement Park. He rolls 5-5-2, counts the two fives and takes another turn with the Amusement Park. He rolls 6-4-4. He counts the 6-4, and takes a third turn with his Amusement Park. He rolls 5-5-5. He counts the two fives and builds his airport to win the game.

Is this correct play? I think there are a few ways to interpret the cards.

#1 Aaron should not have taken any extra turns. You cannot get "doubles" with three dice. Even if paired, three dice cannot make a double.
#2 Aaron should not have taken more than one extra turn, because he did not "count" the pair of fours, so they do not count for his Amusement Park.
#3 Aaron should never take more than one extra turn, because the Amusement Park only applies to your first turn.
#4 Aaron was correct to take all three turns, he won fair and square.

My hunch is that #2 is correct, but I'm concerned that a 44% chance to take another turn over and over seems overpowered. This gives you a statistically significant chance of taking three, four, five turns in a row...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Quach
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not knowing what the actual actions to generate the money I would say that taking the first two 5's gave him a second turn. Then taking a 6 and a 4 is his last turn. 6-4 does not equal 4-4 as a double so #2 is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have to choose the two doubles for it to count for the Amusement Park.

I've always also limited the extra turn to a single extra turn as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:
You would have to choose the two doubles for it to count for the Amusement Park.

I can understand that house rule as that will prevent Energizer Bunny turns ("It keeps going and going and...). Though, I can easily see Rules Lawyers saying "Since it doesn't have the phrase 'Once Per Turn', I can take as many turns I want as long as I keep on rolling doubles!" So, yeah. Maybe have it as an agreed to variant for those exploring that rule variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:

Is this an official ruling?

The former makes sense to me (for Moon Town and Amusement Park).

But there were a couple threads about repeated doubles for the base Machi Koro, and both had people saying that you could keep rolling - with no one contradicting.

I rolled doubles, then built the Fun House...
Amusement Park rolling doubles question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
stooge wrote:

I can understand that house rule as that will prevent Energizer Bunny turns ("It keeps going and going and...). Though, I can easily see Rules Lawyers saying "Since it doesn't have the phrase 'Once Per Turn', I can take as many turns I want as long as I keep on rolling doubles!" So, yeah. Maybe have it as an agreed to variant for those exploring that rule variant.

When I play the game this will definitely be a rule - no more than one extra turn. The "rolling doubles" thing is cute, but shouldn't be game breaking. I really think it should at least be a mentioned variant, if not an official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bclayj wrote:
lomdr wrote:
stooge wrote:

When I play the game this will definitely be a rule - no more than one extra turn. The "rolling doubles" thing is cute, but shouldn't be game breaking. I really think it should at least be a mentioned variant, if not an official ruling.

Maybe the monopoly rule? (Can only reroll twice in a turn, dunno on what penalty should there be if you wanted to follow that closer. Sorry for the bad comparison)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kohn Jevinston
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Moon Tower is already severely overpowered IMO and in the opinion of about a half dozen other people who I've shared this version with.

Therefore, the doubles should only occur if they are used as such (5-5 but not 6-4). However, there are no rules preventing a chain of 5-5, 5-5, etc. if you are so lucky.

Like I said, rolling 3 dice is severely overpowered since the likelihood of you rolling crap is severely reduced each turn. And the train station is utterly pointless (not even the cheaper cost justifies wasting the early-game turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan Eberling
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
Played five games of this over the weekend with experienced gamers. Moon Tower is absolutely busted. Especially with Amusement park, but with so many other cards as well. My non-scientific guess is the first person to get one has about a 60/70% chance to win the game. You can pour abuse on the other players almost every turn and they can never get their feet under them. Even without it, this game already has a "rich get richer" side to it, but it is magnified by Moon Tower giving you more favorable outcomes at a 3:1 rate.

Radio Tower in the base game seemed like a much more fair variant, if not a terribly exciting one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Alorro
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
You could add a double-edge sword consequence for rolling doubles when a player has both the Moon Tower and Amusement Park. Simply, make each red restaurant card activate on even numbered rolls instead of odd, causing moon tower + amusement park owners to think twice in accepting a doubles roll from 3 dice. It could have been as simple as adding +1 to each red restaurant card, so the Sushi Bar activates on snake eyes, Cafes on double deuces, French Restaurants on double 3's, etc. The +1 to red cards only applies when the rolling player possesses both landmark cards. Lady Luck can extract a steep price if one chooses a second chance to roll. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.