Subject: Best maps for each player count rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: diy [+] [View All]
Alex Schmidt
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thirteen-time World Champion Green Bay Packers!
badge
The time that we kill keeps us alive
mbmbmbmbmb
I've fallen head over heels for Trains. My first several plays were with the recommended four players and each had a strong area control component where opponents were building on top of each other left and right.

Last week I played my first three player game (on the Tokyo map) and it was rather bland. Player 1 started in the middle of the map, Player 2 on the right, Player 3 on the left. Never once did we build on a tile that an opponent had already built on.

I see there are many official and fan-made maps.

The base Tokyo map feels tuned perfectly to four players. Can you recommend maps that feel like they were designed for three or two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Trains with four, but think it is just terrible with two. Sorry, no idea on 3.

So, basically, that was a mostly useless remark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think the 2 player maps work very well for 2 players.

For 3 and 4 player counts i play on large maps, and I don't shy away from placing everyone on the same (close to the center) spot.
I know it is against the rules but I think that it promotes competition.

Also in most games that I have played the cheapest points have been from leaching off other players' cities. So go ahead and spread to the right, I will come and take those 2 and 3 station cities, the extra waste doesn't bother me (I would have had to pay 2 r 3 times that if I would have built stations) Ill do the same to the player that builds cites to the right of me

also this game works just as well (longer obviously) with 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I love Trains with four, but think it is just terrible with two. Sorry, no idea on 3.

Not sure what you did wrong but the game works perfectly with two. especially with the correct maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add that a lot of the maps worked fine for 3 playing the way I do.

Additionally I would try the Switzerland map someone posted, it is a little smaller than the other 4 player maps and works well for 3 (when everyone starts in the middle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Not sure what you did wrong but the game works perfectly with two. especially with the correct maps.

I didn't do anything wrong; I just don't think it's any fun with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

actually you said "Ithink it is just terrible with two". Very off putting for anyone who hasn't played the game. It's actually better at that count on a smaller map for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanna Dickhut
msg tools
Trains: Rising Sun makes a difference with the route bonus cards on the maps when it comes to the somewhat awkward 3 player games although I like them with all games for the fight.

Also the card layout can change things quite a bit. A tight layout will keep the board tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a few games with 3 players, mostly on the same maps that would be played on for 4 players.

We've played a lot more with just 2. I've only played on published maps; I have not tried any user maps. As for published maps, there really aren't that many, so here are the links:

Trains: Gen Con 2014: contains two 2-player maps: Saitama & Texas
Trains: Map Pack 2 – Europe/Italy/California: contains two 2-player maps: Italy and California
Trains: Rising Sun: (Stand alone game, can be mixed as an expansion with the original game): contains two 2-player maps: Chiba and Kyushu.

While I've never been to GenCon, I've acquired all but the 2015 GenCon map second-hand via the BGG marketplace.

I've played on all of the 2-player maps except Texas, and have enjoyed all the plays. Unfortunately, I do not remember specifics about the plays to be able to say that 2-player map A is better than 2-player map B.

As mentioned above, I also quite enjoy the route bonus cards. I think they add just a little something to the game. IF you don't have Rising Sun, (aside from buying it) you can print out PDFs of the route bonus cards, or for that matter just scribble down the info on a piece of paper. These cards do not go into player's decks. Use some type of tokens to mark the routes on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
IF you don't have Rising Sun, (aside from buying it) you can print out PDFs of the route bonus cards, or for that matter just scribble down the info on a piece of paper. These cards do not go into player's decks. Use some type of tokens to mark the routes on the board.

Where could I get that information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wyldeoak wrote:
Quote:
IF you don't have Rising Sun, (aside from buying it) you can print out PDFs of the route bonus cards, or for that matter just scribble down the info on a piece of paper. These cards do not go into player's decks. Use some type of tokens to mark the routes on the board.

Where could I get that information?

https://www.alderac.com/trains/

Scroll to the bottom; there's a list of PDFs there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All 2p maps work great, yet my favorite ones til now are Saitama (GenCon2014, I've printed the PDF) and Italy (Map pack #2). Both very tight and confronting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So no map is good with 3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Schmidt
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thirteen-time World Champion Green Bay Packers!
badge
The time that we kill keeps us alive
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:

This is my big question. In a full four player game the area control portion of Trains winds up really tight. The few three player games I've played on the standard Tokyo map really fell flat, as each player chose a different corner of the map and never really had to battle for cities or tracks.

What can be done to remedy this? I've only been pulling out the game when we have exactly four players, which is a bummer. There's gotta be a map or two that makes three player as fun and tight as a full four, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play games with 3 quite a bit and now own this by virtue of a used Black Box I picked up. I guess I'll hold off unless we have 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:

I would say the north america map works well with 3
also someone posted a fan-made map of switzerland that is a little smaller and feels perfect for 3 (I have played it a few times).

I would also consider a little house rule for 3 players...everyone starts on the same spot (somewhere in the middle)
this house-rule works really well imo for 2-3 players, just make sure no one is cornered and has NO room to expand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You mean the northeastern USA map?

Which hexes do you start with on the Tokyo, Osaka & Nagoya maps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
You mean the northeastern USA map?

Which hexes do you start with on the Tokyo, Osaka & Nagoya maps?

Yes about usa map.

If all players start in the same spot:
Osaka: start in Ibaraki or Kadoma
Tokyo: Kichijoji or one of the green spaces around.
Nagoya: Its probably a little big for 3 players, but maybe just west of Toyota.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cari Burstein
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
StormKnight wrote:

I've only ever played the game with 2. We just got Rising Sun and the new 2 player maps and tweaks do make it better. I think the biggest issue with 2 player is that if you play by the standard rules it makes building stations pretty much pointless unless you stay at the far end of the map since if another player invades you've put in a lot of effort and gotten nothing to show for it except a bunch of waste. Until we had Rising Sun we ended up just splitting up the board with a house rule not to invade each others cities, because otherwise it turned out to be not as fun.

Since we've gotten Rising Sun and have the smaller boards, we've switched to using an alternate rule, where the second player to build in a city only gets half points for the stations. This makes it still attractive to invade, but doesn't completely negate the value of the station building for the player who started it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cdaveb wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

I've only ever played the game with 2. We just got Rising Sun and the new 2 player maps and tweaks do make it better. I think the biggest issue with 2 player is that if you play by the standard rules it makes building stations pretty much pointless unless you stay at the far end of the map since if another player invades you've put in a lot of effort and gotten nothing to show for it except a bunch of waste. Until we had Rising Sun we ended up just splitting up the board with a house rule not to invade each others cities, because otherwise it turned out to be not as fun.

Since we've gotten Rising Sun and have the smaller boards, we've switched to using an alternate rule, where the second player to build in a city only gets half points for the stations. This makes it still attractive to invade, but doesn't completely negate the value of the station building for the player who started it.

It is true that the expansion on the board becomes a you built a city, let me negate that as a source of points for you - not bad imo.

You house-rule seems interesting tho, worth a try.

I use a different variant tho, and i think it solves your problem ( use it for all player counts):
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25024814#25024814

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.