Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any luck playing Cosmic Encounter on Steam using Tabletop Simulator? Just wondering because I was poking around and was sent to CosmicEncounter.com and they talk about playing on Steam.

There is something called a Tabletop Simulator 4 pack. Anyone have any idea what that is?

Curious to know if folks think it is worth it and/or easy to play it that way.

I apologize if this is an inappropriate place to ask this question.

Thanks,
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of the playtesting for new expansions is actually done on Steam. Could be wrong about that.

Tabletop Simulator is the "game" (it's really more of a client) that you purchase. A 4-pack is a set of 4 keys for the game; the idea being you and three friends chip in to buy it and you all end up getting a discount.

If you wanted to play with your friends, each person needs a copy of Tabletop Simulator, but only one person needs to the Cosmic Encounter DLC.

There are also a ton of other games available for free; everything from Cards Against Humanity to Twilight Imperium 3rd edition.

I can't speak to how easy it is to find a game on your own, though. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple dozen games that way (mostly playtesting Cosmic Eons, heh). It's pretty good stuff, and I would recommend it if you have remote friends and a good voice connection.

We used Skype group calls instead of using the TTS voice function, but for all I know that has improved in the last few months. Text chat is available, but it's not as good as having voice.

One caveat -- when it first came out, it could lag severely if your Internet connection was not good broadband.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I do not have remote friends that I'd play this with/against. It looks like a "no" for the moment. I will have to look for live, local opponents, I guess.

Peace,
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Searles
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is there are people who meet up on TTS on Friday nights to play. There is a Steam group you can find to find people to play with. Why not join the group and see if you can find a game before you jump in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
We used Skype group calls instead of using the TTS voice function

It might not have existed when you were doing that, but there's this awesome site/app called Discord which is basically Slack + seamless voice chat. Has native apps for every desktop and mobile OS, and the web app works perfectly as well. It's by far the best voice chat experience I've ever had. I've used it for action games like Overwatch and playing D&D on Roll20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter on steam is amazing. It's the best games in Tabletop Simulator hands down. The quality of the cards is very high. There's absolutely no reason to use skype or anything else in my opinion other than the in game voice. It works fine. Pick it up, you'll have a great time! I used to play a lot but haven't had time lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon A.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
HarryCanyon wrote:
Cosmic Encounter on steam is amazing. It's the best games in Tabletop Simulator hands down. The quality of the cards is very high. There's absolutely no reason to use skype or anything else in my opinion other than the in game voice. It works fine. Pick it up, you'll have a great time! I used to play a lot but haven't had time lately.

I recently joined TTS and have played Cosmic Encounter, along with Blood Rage, on TTS. Gotta agree with Eric here, was very fun!! Especially with mics turned on.

We played with dual powers and I ended up with Tick-Tock & Loser!! People thought I was close to OP so they pretty much teamed up against me and I ended up with 2 colonies But I had a blast!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question on CE on TTS: does the software support turn-based play, or is it realtime only?

Thanks if anyone can answer this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's real time only. Tabletop Simulator is not a board game simulator... It's a physics simulator, with an emphasis on recreating the physical artifacts of board gaming and some useful abstractions and automation tools that make playing board games simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Gambolputty
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yangtze2000 wrote:
Quick question on CE on TTS: does the software support turn-based play, or is it realtime only?

It's certainly possible, but it's not what it's intended for. You could save the game file and email it around to the different players each time someone makes a move. To do this, each player would need to own the Cosmic DLC (when playing live, only the host needs it).

TTS can certainly be used for simple turn-based games like Chess, but trying to play Cosmic that way with it would be a miserable experience that would suck all the fun (and social aspects) out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
t20a1h5u23 wrote:
TTS can certainly be used for simple turn-based games like Chess, but trying to play Cosmic that way with it would be a miserable experience that would suck all the fun (and social aspects) out of the game.

I think it would work fine if the platform were more like BGA, with forums for the social interaction and immediate notification when it's your turn. Dixit and Hanabi work amazingly well. But, yes, saving to file and sending by email would be a drag for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.