Garry Lloyd
United Kingdom
Holmes Chapel
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players: Nige, Mark K, Mark G, Garry

We then tried the new semi-cooperative card game from Bruno Faidutti about fighting global environmental crises. The deck of cards is comprised of 2 types: 18 crises and 90 solutions. Players try to collect solution cards so that when the crises turn up, they are able collectively to overcome it. If they are able and choose to do so as soon as it is turned up, the first player to attack it and the greatest contributor to the solution gain 3 VPs each. If it isn't resolved immediately it becomes a full blown crisis and players can contribute to solving it later on. If they do this, they can also set aside 3-card combinations to bring VPs at the end of the game and the person who finally overcomes the crisis gains 5 VPs. If crises are kept sufficiently under control, once the draw-deck is exhausted, the game ends and the person who has accumulated the most VPs wins. However, if too many crises arise without solution, the game ends with a total loss of control and EVERYBODY LOSES. Hence you need to keep a balance between advancing your individual gain and the common good.

In our game, peace reigned early on with all of us building our hand of solutions up to the maximum of 8 cards quite quickly. A couple of minor crises were tackled and eradicated, but then in the middle of the deck the crises started turning up thick and fast. We all felt this was a good time to allow for some full blown crises to continue, while we all hoarded some three card combinations. Unfortunately, the more valuable the three card combinations, the less able you are to tackle the crise and we were only about two thirds of the way through the deck when disaster struck, the earth was destroyed and we made our excuses for not being sufficiently friendly to the environment. I found this to be good fun but I guess it may take a couple more games for us to overcome our "greed is good" instincts and end the game in success. Once there are multiple crises to deal with, there is quite a bit of tension and I think the card mix is likely to be nicely balanced so that the game isn't too easy to beat. Good fun, although Nige was less struck on it than me.

Result: Mark G+Mark K+Nige+Garry = LOSERS!

Ratings: Mark G 6, Mark K 6, Nige 5, Garry 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.