Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I bought this game over the weekend and have played it once with the original rules, and then (after looking in frustration to the forums and finding them) with the 2.0 rules. I don't mind a little luck in a card game, but a strategic player like me needs to have some way of trying to get the cards I want into my hand without losing what I want to keep, and so the new "replace all cards, or take 2" rules aren't helping.

I've read all of the threads about the topic and the proposed fixes aren't too appealing. The drafting idea is nice, but it will add length to what should be a short game, while trading seems too loosey goosey and prone to blockage when playing against competitive players who want to deny you any advantage.

Therefore I propose a new simple variant, based on Race for the Galaxy's explore phase mechanism (also used for the Councillor role in San Juan).

Quote:

Phase 1: New Hand Cards

Each player can choose to either draw three cards; keep two and discard one, OR draw five cards; keep one and discard four. [there is no "discard and replace all" rule]

This rule variant will allow players to use "draw 5 take 1" to fish more successfully for that card they need for their awesome production combo, at the cost of bringing fewer cards into their hand. Alternately, they can get more cards, but take more of a chance with "draw 3 keep 2". With these mechanics, the "discard and replace all" rule may not be necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I can only assume that this will cause more card shuffling because the deck runs empty even faster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, though as in RFTG and San Juan, that depends on what actions players take. I see higher deck churn as a good thing, because it cycles the cards faster and theoretically increases chances that players will get the cards they need earlier.

One thing is for sure, regardless of how you play it, this game is a good candidate for sleeving. We seem to reshuffle about 1-2 times per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
I always say I don't mind luck in a game. but I find that we are fair weather friends, luck and I. When it goes south and all my cunning plans go astray, then I really prefer complex euros and deep mitigation via experienced play. Then we always have шахматы.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
Interesting. I can only assume that this will cause more card shuffling because the deck runs empty even faster?

I'm fine with anything that decreases the chances of my engine randomly crapping out in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
"replace all cards, or take 2"

Just a small correction: It's "replace all cards AND take 2". Otherwise it would be too expansive to exchange cards.
I like your variant! But I also very much like the exchange all cards as it adds a tough decision. Both are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
AlexP wrote:
quill65 wrote:
"replace all cards, or take 2"

Just a small correction: It's "replace all cards AND take 2". Otherwise it would be too expansive to exchange cards.
I like your variant! But I also very much like the exchange all cards as it adds a tough decision. Both are fine.

Oops, I forgot that. I really like your game, BTW. I'm always on the lookout for a small sized building game with a lot of depth that my wife and I can take when traveling and to pubs and restaurants to play. This one has so much game to it but it literally fits in my pocket!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, John!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a huge fan of this game, we've been experimenting with another endgame variant. Instead of triggering game end when one player has 8 buildings, game end is triggered when ALL players have at least 8 buildings. It changes the play in an interesting way- there's lots of emergence unexplored here. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
I'm always on the lookout for a small sized building game with a lot of depth

Isle of Trains
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
quill65 wrote:

Isle of Trains

Easy to compare the two, but I I LUV TRAINS fails way way way short of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
snake2shake wrote:
quill65 wrote:

Isle of Trains

A weird yet trivial coincidence. I just played both OMG! and Isle of Trains yesterday (Yes, we all know the old "in" joke of this title - n'est-ce pas?). And yes, one is more complex but I do not care about complexity for its own sake (yet I do suffer the prerequisite inferiority complex of that focus ... hmm?) but instead I am entertained by puzzles, dynamics and interplay of many flavors. I play and enjoy both of these wee games in their own right. Perhaps a gourmand not a gourmet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
snake2shake wrote:
quill65 wrote:

Isle of Trains

I wouldn't say that. Although they can be compared they are different and that is a good thing. Both are valuable games in tiny format in my opinion. Both were very well received in my gaming group. I didn't make this suggestion to take OMG off its throne, I made it because it is a good game, too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.