6 Posts

Legendary: Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cloak and Dagger question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Herr
United States
flag msg tools
Cloak and Dagger's Penumbra card says to play divided cards as two different cards. Are they considered to be played at the same time or one after another? An example of when this would matter would be their other card Darkness and Light.

Both sides of the card have you reveal the top card of your deck and then either KO it if it costs 0 or draw it if it costs 1 or more.

If it is considered that you play both cards at the same time would you only reveal the top card once and either KO or draw that card depending on the cost? Can you determine the order that you play each half of the divided card thus letting you look at the top card, seeing it costs 2 draw it, look at the next card see it costs 0 KO it? Possibly having to declare which side you are playing first before looking.

This came up in a game where I already knew which card was on top of my deck. We decided to play it as if the 2 halves of the card were played one after another where I could choose which one to use first so it would have looked similar to:
Played Penumbra
Played Light
Revealed top card it cost more than 1 drew it
Played Darkness (instantly)
Revealed top card it cost 0 KO it

Should it go even further to consider the cards separate? As an example if I had 2 Light and Darkness cards could I play Light twice in a row then Darkness twice in a row?

My first thought was to play it the way we did in our game where each card is separate but played instantly with you decided which half goes first but now I am wondering if it should be considered each half as a completely unique card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it is one after the other - that's really the only thing that makes sense. I thought Penumbra actually said that, but I don't have the game around to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
tl;dr You play them one after the other, immediately. (i.e. you played it correctly)

Longer explanation:
You actually play them simultaneously, but when 2 different things happen simultaneously, they actually happen one after the other, and the current player chooses the order. You don't merge the two card effects into a single effect, because they happen to share some text.

So, you have to choose which order to play the darkness/light THEN as part of playing whichever you played first you reveal your top card and do what it says, then you reveal whatever the top card is now (which could be the same card) and do the other effect. You can't reveal the top card then decide, but you do get each effect if it works out for you (which it will on some level if you know your top card).

Note: if somehow something happened from the card action (nothing can currently as far as I know) you would only have generated the recruit/attack of the half you are playing at that moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can't really resolve the 2 effects at the same time, so you would resolve one effect, then the other, at your discretion, but you would resolve the effects of both sides of the one divided card before resolving the effects of the next card played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Herr
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers. It's good to know that we played it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're supposed to get the scissors...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.