Subject: Company Policy - Customer Pays for Faulty Components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased Mound Builders on eBay. The game was new and came in its original shrink wrap.

When I opened it I saw the counters were double-sided. Unfortunately one side was printed upside down so if I punch them out the printing won't match.

I contacted VPG and asked for a replacement set.

No problem. They will only charge me at cost for the counters plus postage.

I think it is wrong that the customer is expected to pay extra for faulty components.

On the small number of occasions that this has happened with other companies faulty parts are replaced free.

Why does VPG have this policy?

Does anyone think it is fair or reasonable?

Shame on you VPG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very strange. In all my years of dealing with VP they have always replaced faulty components free of charge (including a few days ago).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorp222 wrote:
This is very strange. In all my years of dealing with VP they have always replaced faulty components free of charge (including a few days ago).

I was communicating with Karen. I asked her to check. She said the decision was made by "the powers that be".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying it second hand on eBay, in shrink or not, doesn't really make them obligated to send you anything. It's a bummer, sure, but yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Buying it second hand on eBay, in shrink or not, doesn't really make them obligated to send you anything. It's a bummer, sure, but yeah.

Bummer is right.

New game in shrink wrap. From eBay store. Misprinted faulty components. Unplayable.

Not second hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is, I think, that the error is clearly from the publisher, regardless of which channel the OP bought the game from. eBay didn't print the counter sheet wrong, Victory Point Games did. I mean, who but VPG's is responsible for the countersheet that was printed and packed in that box???

Just from a public relationships standpoint alone, VPG should replace that countersheet free of charge, end of story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorp222 wrote:

Yeah, they normally have good customer service, so this seems out of character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

Bummer is right.

New game in shrink wrap. From eBay store. Misprinted faulty components. Unplayable.

Not second hand.

When you say eBay store is this bps eBay store or another shops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorp222 wrote:
da pyrate wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

Bummer is right.

Not second hand.

When you say eBay store is this bps eBay store or another shops?

Not VPG. Not an auction.

I don't think it matters whose shop it is. This is a manufacturing fault that makes the game unplayable. I think there is a responsibility on the part of the manufacturer to replace their faulty products regardless of who sells them.

It is not the seller's fault they were given a faulty product in a shrink wrapped package by VPG.

I have never had this sort of problem with GMT or MMP.

Bottom line is that rather than feeling like a valued customer I feel that I have been screwed.

I live in Australia. I have already waited three weeks for the game to be delivered and paid something like $35 for postage.

This will be my last time buying a VPG product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
I recently purchased Mound Builders on eBay. The game was new and came in its original shrink wrap.

When I opened it I saw the counters were double-sided. Unfortunately one side was printed upside down so if I punch them out the printing won't match.

I contacted VPG and asked for a replacement set.

No problem. They will only charge me at cost for the counters plus postage.

I think it is wrong that the customer is expected to pay extra for faulty components.

On the small number of occasions that this has happened with other companies faulty parts are replaced free.

Why does VPG have this policy?

Why would a double sided counter that is printed upside down be unusable? I had just recently bought this game from VPG and had not yet opened it. So I opened it to see if I had the same problem. I think if they send you another copy of the counters that they will be the same. 1 counter on the front side is upside down compared to the others (or maybe it is the right way and all the others are wrong). On the reverse side most are printed one way which could be upside down but not sure how it matters.

Does anyone think it is fair or reasonable?

Shame on you VPG!

Why would a double sided counter that is printed upside down be unusable? I had just recently bought this game from VPG and had not yet opened it. So I opened it to see if I had the same problem. I think if they send you another copy of the counters that they will be the same. 1 counter on the front side is upside down compared to the others (or maybe it is the right way and all the others are wrong). On the reverse side most are printed one way which could be upside down but not sure how it matters. Here are some pictures.

It just seems to me after you punch them out they would be fine unless something is way different with yours. If you send VPG a picture and there is a real problem they would certainly replace them for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Can you see a problem here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weren't these the guys who tried to tell people not to use the term, "victory points" because they'd confuse it with the name of their company, which named itself, "victory points" after it was obviously one of the most common terms out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep can see the problem. The problem is not the lettering being upside down or not. The printing is off center. Did you show these pics to VPG? If you showed them these pics and they do not send you counters for free then that is kind of crappy. I have seen others post pics of cards from them that were miscut or off center and I think they took care of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty shoddy work
You sent them these picks and they still won't come to the party?

They should send you correct replacement parts: as this is a printing and quality control issue and they have failed in both.

Keep hounding them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Kaleen
ACT
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't stock Victory Point Games, & this story makes me feel that I mustn't consider doing so in the future. If my customers, buying from me, are not considered to be the first purchaser of a game when I sell it to them, then I would not risk my business reputation!

All of the publishers I sell have provided excellent service for this type of issue. As customers we accept that this (manufacturing errors) will happen sometimes because we are supporting the publishers' attempts at keeping the cost down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
This makes me nervous about having backed Nemo. If the game arrives with faulty components, will I have to buy new ones from VPG?

And will BGG posters tell me that getting the game via Kickstarter makes it "second hand"? :eyeroll:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jbetz45453 wrote:
Yep can see the problem. The problem is not the lettering being upside down or not. The printing is off center. Did you show these pics to VPG? If you showed them these pics and they do not send you counters for free then that is kind of crappy. I have seen others post pics of cards from them that were miscut or off center and I think they took care of them.

Yeah, from my experience and from what I've heard they have good customer service. I hope that it's a simple misunderstanding where they, like you, thought that the counters where correctly cut, just with the text upside down, which can't be considered a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
Weren't these the guys who tried to tell people not to use the term, "victory points" because they'd confuse it with the name of their company, which named itself, "victory points" after it was obviously one of the most common terms out there?

Citation needed. Especially as they themselves publish games with "victory points"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And to think what could have been had you mailed the miscut counter sheet back to VPG with a nice note asking for replacement.

You probably would have received a new counter sheet plus credit to make up for your shipping cost and a healthy lifetime relationship with an outstanding company.

Too bad. The fun times you could have had together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gerstbrein
United States
Granby
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I am so smart. S M R T !!!
badge
Be real!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised at their silence to this thread. Either fix the problem or defend your decision not to.

With them stopping in house printing and the selection to a large portion of their catalog, you'd think some good customer service mojo would be a high priority for them.

But what do I know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax, everyone. We will be replacing his counters. Here's the news:

We will be replacing his components for no cost. Our hesitation was because the game was bought on eBay and not from us or Amazon or a reputable game vendor (eBay can be a bit dodgy).

This discussion thread seems to be missing that part, as we ALWAYS replace defective components in games...

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
Wait - do you mean that the ebay seller produced a knock off of your die-cut counter? and placed it into an otherwise fine copy of your game and then re-shrink wrapped it? Or knocked off the entire thing and would have gotten away with it except for the counter misprint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy knowing a replacement set has been posted to me.

I have purchased nine VPG games this year. Two have had production faults. Both times the initial reaction was "you pay" and only when I challenged the decision publicly here on BGG was the decision was reversed.

When this happens with other game producers replacements are send quickly and without argument.

GMT, Columbia and others make me feel like a valued customer.

VPG make me feel as though I have been screwed. I don't want to argue or do a 'song and dance' every time I want to be treated fairly.

The game was unplayable due to a production fault. There should have been agreement to replace it immediately without argument.

I say this not to be nasty or uncharitable, but so VPG can get some feedback that I hope they will find useful and valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad VPG did the right thing.

I think sometimes these smaller companies make the mistake of pinching a few too many pennies at the cost of potentially embarrassing PR fallout like this. I get that not every company has the deep pockets of FFG but in the end it's probably just safer to send out that replacement counter sheet when the customer requests it unless there's clear abuse going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kon Stavrinos
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All's well that, after kicking and screaming at some pretty dodgy production, ends well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.