David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased Mound Builders on eBay. The game was new and came in its original shrink wrap.

When I opened it I saw the counters were double-sided. Unfortunately one side was printed upside down so if I punch them out the printing won't match.

I contacted VPG and asked for a replacement set.

No problem. They will only charge me at cost for the counters plus postage as I am not the original purchaser. I questioned the fairness of this as the game was still in its original shrink wrap. I was then told they had checked with "the powers that be" and I could have a special deal of only pay the cost of the counter sheet plus postage. This would be cheaper than the normal cost of a replacement counter sheet.

I think it is wrong that the customer is expected to pay extra for faulty components.

On the small number of occasions that this has happened with other companies faulty parts are replaced free.

Why does VPG have this policy?

Does anyone think it is fair or reasonable?

Shame on you VPG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
I recently purchased Mound Builders on eBay. The game was new and came in its original shrink wrap.

When I opened it I saw the counters were double-sided. Unfortunately one side was printed upside down so if I punch them out the printing won't match.

I contacted VPG and asked for a replacement set.

No problem. They will only charge me at cost for the counters plus postage as I am not the original purchaser. I questioned the fairness of this as the game was still in its original shrink wrap. I was then told they had checked with "the powers that be" and I could have a special deal of only pay the cost of the counter sheet plus postage. This would be cheaper than the normal cost of a replacement counter sheet.

I think it is wrong that the customer is expected to pay extra for faulty components.

On the small number of occasions that this has happened with other companies faulty parts are replaced free.

Why does VPG have this policy?

Does anyone think it is fair or reasonable?

Shame on you VPG!

I've never encountered this either - usually publishers are good about replacing any faulty parts. Only exception is Z-Man during that period where they would ask for a receipt and within 30 days, but even they have stopped doing that.

Maybe what they're thinking is that the ebay seller might have gotten replacement parts already and re-shrinked the game themselves, with the faulty ones, then sold it? I think the odds of that happening are really low though, better to give the benefit of the doubt and err on the side of good customer service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely difficult to say. I can understand if it's a second-hand purchase, but if it was a new game from a secondary dealer? Hmmmm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.