Popular Tags: [View All]
gonzalo GIlabert
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems i will be getting Codex quite soon!devil
I was wondering if you have any advice about what heroes should I begin with...for me and my opponent. I am looking for something not coo complicated, and that will give us a balanced fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechyper wrote:
It seems i will be getting Codex quite soon!devil
I was wondering if you have any advice about what heroes should I begin with...for me and my opponent. I am looking for something not coo complicated, and that will give us a balanced fight.

Whether you begin with the core or deluxe set, Green vs Red is a great starting matchup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two neutral factions are supposed to be the easiest to learn. They have a lot of the basic concepts in them. They're the meat and potatoes factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to say it depends on your gaming experience- if you have played any TCGs or LCGs, I agree that red v green 3 heroes is the way to go. If you or your partner is new to these kind of games (doubtful if you got the deluxe set) I would say the neutral heroes 1v1 is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan D

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've never played the game at all at all before, I think you should really start by playing the starter set matchup--1 hero vs. 1 hero Bashing vs. Finesse (Troq vs. River)--just to learn the basic rules. Once you've played a couple games of that and you get the flow of the game, then move up to 3 heroes vs. 3 heroes.

Green vs. White is my favorite matchup after that, but you may want to play Red vs. Green instead since that's kind of the canonical next step (Core Set matchup).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Fedora
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I'd say to start with the 1v1 Neutral matchup, if only because Bashing and Finesse were literally designed from the ground up for first-time players learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonzalo GIlabert
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
I forgot to say: im getting the deluxe version (ouch my wallet), and we are hardcore players with experience in magic,epic, and the likes. I just want us to have a fun, tight game so hopefully I can get hooked up in the game...red vs green sounds fun...monocolor, then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely monocolour for your first several games. The monocolour triples are designed so that across your three specs you have answers for most things your opponent might do. If you start mixing up specs, you can easily find yourself with a triple without any good response to some particular line of play from the opponent.

If both players are experienced in similar games and up for jumping straight in, then I'd say you can skip the 1-hero starter game. But I'd definitely say start off monocolour for several games. Red vs green is a really good game.

I'd also say, even if you love blue in MtG like I do, don't try blue for your first game. Codex's blue is *hard* to play and you can easily find yourself struggling without being able to identify what you did wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonzalo GIlabert
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! I will try to kkep my hands off blue, till iget a few games (but it looks really fun to play) I guess the same could be said about purple...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechyper wrote:
I forgot to say: im getting the deluxe version (ouch my wallet), and we are hardcore players with experience in magic,epic, and the likes. I just want us to have a fun, tight game so hopefully I can get hooked up in the game...red vs green sounds fun...monocolor, then?

I've taught people with MtG backgrounds (and I have one myself) and I am still glad I used Bashing vs Finesse for the first few matches.
It definitely does not hold a candle to 3vs3, but it's an important learning experience and still a very enjoyable game in it's own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
thechyper wrote:
Thanks! I will try to kkep my hands off blue, till iget a few games (but it looks really fun to play) I guess the same could be said about purple...
Purple is weird. It's got a number of subtleties to it and can be quite complex, but you can also ignore the complex subtleties and just smash face by basically steering clear of any card that does anything with time counters, and you might still do just fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonzalo GIlabert
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
alextfish wrote:
thechyper wrote:
Purple is weird. It's got a number of subtleties to it and can be quite complex, but you can also ignore the complex subtleties and just smash face by basically steering clear of any card that does anything with time counters, and you might still do just fine

where is the fun in that?
i think we will have a quick bout with neutral,then go red and green..can´t wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do, make sure they stay to play red v green too - I think the 1 v 1 neutral just doesn't give a good feel for the depth of Codex - it's fine for an introduction to pacing and mechanics, but it just feels lacking (which it is)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there's a ton of game and deckbuilding in the monocolor game alone, so it's well worth just playing monocolor for a while. I know, it's tempting to want to experiment with mixing colors, but I think you get a better idea of what each color can do by playing it in-context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Play at least one full game with Bashing vs. Finesse, just to get a feel for how deck cycling, attacking/defending, and Heroes work, without having to make a ton of choices about what to tech (which can be a big time sink).

For anyone who didn't buy Bashing vs. Finesse, and is just starting with the "Starter" set, I recommend using just Fire vs. Feral.

After your first game, you can try out the 3-hero mode, or keep practicing 1v1 to really go deep on when to build Tech II / Tower, when to tech spells vs. units, and when the right move is just floating gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.