Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the different clarifications we recently received from FFG I decided to prepare a short document titled Errata and FAQ which collects all the replies posted in unofficial Q&A. This might be useful while we are waiting for official documents. Any feedback is appreciated. In particular, feel free to suggest other Q&A.

Edit: Special thanks to Ignipes for setting up the original thread.
Edit: Text modified to prevent false alarms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
g1ul10 wrote:
Given the quite important clarifications we recently received from FFG

Which important clarifications?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about the timing of lore deck customization (check the document or the thread) but I've also modified my post to avoid false alarm: nothing devastating has been revealed ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Laliberté
Canada
Levis
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good job thank you !

Do you think you can add to the FAQ some exemple of ranged attack-line of sight vs retreat? Maybe with some pics or something...

It's always tough to know where the unit must retreat when you hit the target from archer or ranged unit. This is particulary important if you have 2 tiles behind the target unit(1 tile behind left and 1 tile behind right), one supported by friendly unit and the other with a barricade.

The attacker want to push it in the barricade, the defender want to support and cancel the retreat with his friendly unit. Who win ?

I don't see any rules mentionning that answer, maybe i'm a blind man ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Attacker gets to decide. See page 6 of the rules reference book. Specifically this bit:

Quote:
• When line of sight is traced along the edge of one or more
hexes, the attacker shifts the line away from the hex edge in
one direction.

edit: to clarify, line of sight is drawn from centre of the attacking hex to centre of the defending hex. Retreat direction is directly opposite from where LOS-line entered the hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cyberbob666 wrote:
good job thank you !

Do you think you can add to the FAQ some exemple of ranged attack-line of sight vs retreat? Maybe with some pics or something...

It's always tough to know where the unit must retreat when you hit the target from archer or ranged unit. This is particulary important if you have 2 tiles behind the target unit(1 tile behind left and 1 tile behind right), one supported by friendly unit and the other with a barricade.

The attacker want to push it in the barricade, the defender want to support and cancel the retreat with his friendly unit. Who win ?

SigmaZero did a good job of summarizing this a while ago. https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22010121#22010121

sigmazero13 wrote:
Ok, here's a diagram.

(Ignore the purple and orange dots temporarily)

The attacker and defender are in the marked hexes. The attacker fires at the defender. The red line is the direct LOS between the hexes.

As discussed on page 6 of the Rules Reference guide, if this happens, the attacker must shift the LOS to one side or the other. These are denoted by the blue and green lines. Before he rolls, he chooses which way to shift it. If he chooses the blue line, the attack is considered to come from the hex side marked with blue. If the attacker rolls one or more retreats, all retreats go directly away from the blue side, in the direction of the blue arrow.

Likewise, if the attacker chooses the green line, the attack comes from the hex the side marked in green, and all retreats will go directly away from that side, in the direction of the green arrow.

There is no possible way for the retreating unit to end up in the hex between the two arrows for this attack.

Now, with the purple and orange dots, for the example above its assumed both those hexes are clear terrain. If either of these are blocking terrain, it kind of forces the attacker's hand in choosing which way to go. If the purple dot was blocking terrain, the attacker MUST choose the green line (because the blue line would be drawn through blocking terrain). Likewise, if the orange dot was blocking terrain, the attacker MUST choose the blue line. (And, obviously, of both were blocking terrain, the attack would not be possible since the LOS would be blocked either way).

So all attacks are resolved from a hex side; even if the direct LOS comes into a corner, the attacker is going to choose one of the hex sides to resolve the attack from. From there, ALL retreats go directly away from that side - not from the corner the direct LOS comes from.

When the defender "resolves" a retreat, that's just the way the game describes the actual mechanics of moving the unit, and if a retreat cannot be 'resolved', the unit takes damage instead. The "resolves" does not mean to imply the defender has any choice of directions - the attacker makes that choice in deciding which way the LOS is nudged.

I hope that helps clarify
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
one direction.

So you're telling me, that I've played this game 63 times wrong?! Why did they hide this rule in the reference book?! It clearly belongs to the main one! Also why didn't they include a decent example?!

Really poor choices from FFG here... this should have been handled better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlasDemigod wrote:
Quote:
one direction.

So you're telling me, that I've played this game 63 times wrong?! Why did they hide this rule in the reference book?! It clearly belongs to the main one! Also why didn't they include a decent example?!

Most of the detailed rules are in the rules reference guide. The whole point is that if something is unclear, you don't look it up in the main rulebook, you look it up in the reference. There are a lot of rules "hidden" in the rules reference. For example, the main rulebook doesn't explain anything about the order of resolving dice or how committing dice has to happen before any dice can be resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
There are a lot of rules "hidden" in the rules reference.

I know and I did read the rules reference carefully, but it's clear that I must have missed this one... but also the rule and the example could have been written in a more user-friendly way.

Also, even if I find the whole rules reference book to be pretty clever, I still don't understand why they couldn't explain the entire combat system in the main rulebook anyway and make it so that the reader could learn it smoothly, instead of expecting him to search through the other rulebook to fill in the blanks.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Laliberté
Canada
Levis
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
AlasDemigod wrote:
Quote:
one direction.

Most of the detailed rules are in the rules reference guide. The whole point is that if something is unclear, you don't look it up in the main rulebook, you look it up in the reference. There are a lot of rules "hidden" in the rules reference. For example, the main rulebook doesn't explain anything about the order of resolving dice or how committing dice has to happen before any dice can be resolved.

yes and this is REALLY important. I have seen a lot of better rulesbook !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Laliberté
Canada
Levis
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
cyberbob666 wrote:
good job thank you !

SigmaZero did a good job of summarizing this a while ago. https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22010121#22010121

sigmazero13 wrote:
Ok, here's a diagram.

(Ignore the purple and orange dots temporarily)

The attacker and defender are in the marked hexes. The attacker fires at the defender. The red line is the direct LOS between the hexes.

As discussed on page 6 of the Rules Reference guide, if this happens, the attacker must shift the LOS to one side or the other. These are denoted by the blue and green lines. Before he rolls, he chooses which way to shift it. If he chooses the blue line, the attack is considered to come from the hex side marked with blue. If the attacker rolls one or more retreats, all retreats go directly away from the blue side, in the direction of the blue arrow.

Likewise, if the attacker chooses the green line, the attack comes from the hex the side marked in green, and all retreats will go directly away from that side, in the direction of the green arrow.

There is no possible way for the retreating unit to end up in the hex between the two arrows for this attack.

Now, with the purple and orange dots, for the example above its assumed both those hexes are clear terrain. If either of these are blocking terrain, it kind of forces the attacker's hand in choosing which way to go. If the purple dot was blocking terrain, the attacker MUST choose the green line (because the blue line would be drawn through blocking terrain). Likewise, if the orange dot was blocking terrain, the attacker MUST choose the blue line. (And, obviously, of both were blocking terrain, the attack would not be possible since the LOS would be blocked either way).

So all attacks are resolved from a hex side; even if the direct LOS comes into a corner, the attacker is going to choose one of the hex sides to resolve the attack from. From there, ALL retreats go directly away from that side - not from the corner the direct LOS comes from.

When the defender "resolves" a retreat, that's just the way the game describes the actual mechanics of moving the unit, and if a retreat cannot be 'resolved', the unit takes damage instead. The "resolves" does not mean to imply the defender has any choice of directions - the attacker makes that choice in deciding which way the LOS is nudged.

I hope that helps clarify

Man, this is exactly what i lookin for. That situation upon a couple of times each game and it's not explain clearly in the rulebook or reference book. That kind of situation need a picture to be sure everyone understand well. Thanks a lot !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.