Popular Tags: [View All]
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Much has been made of Donald Trump’s problems with a few voting groups — female voters, blacks and Hispanics, and young voters, in particular. And, to be sure, they are all problems.

But relatively speaking, his biggest problem actually appears to be with a different group: Catholics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/28/do...

This is a big deal since Catholics obviously are strongly against certain Democratic stances (first and foremost abortion - I have known many Catholics to change party solely due to this one issue), but please note that this is not the first time that this has occurred: (link taken from WP article as well)

http://cara.georgetown.edu/presidential%20vote%20only.pdf

(note as reference that abortion only became plank of the parties in 1980 - but obviously started to form the strongest opinions starting in 1973)

Note that the data does not give a full picture so I would look at it in conjunction with this article:

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/29/162001011/what-winning-the-cat...

But, I would say for Trump to be down by Clinton so much by Catholics that he must be losing support from both both non-white and white Catholics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:

But, I would say for Trump to be down by Clinton so much by Catholics that he must be losing support from both both non-white and white Catholics.

Note, I should probably clarify that I more so mean that Trump does not have support from Catholics (as I do not know that he ever had that support in the first place). So, I was more so referring to losing support of some that had supported Romney in the previous election.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Huge overlap between Catholics and Hispanics.

How that relates to registered voters, I don't know. Probably enough to skew any meaningful relationship to the electorate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump and the Pope did have that whole social media spat six months ago.

https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/posts/10156658168535725
Quote:
In response to the Pope:

If and when the Vatican is attacked by ISIS, which as everyone knows is ISIS’s ultimate trophy, I can promise you that the Pope would have only wished and prayed that Donald Trump would have been President because this would not have happened. ISIS would have been eradicated unlike what is happening now with our all talk, no action politicians.

The Mexican government and its leadership has made many disparaging remarks about me to the Pope, because they want to continue to rip off the United States, both on trade and at the border, and they understand I am totally wise to them. The Pope only heard one side of the story - he didn’t see the crime, the drug trafficking and the negative economic impact the current policies have on the United States. He doesn’t see how Mexican leadership is outsmarting President Obama and our leadership in every aspect of negotiation.

For a religious leader to question a person’s faith is disgraceful. I am proud to be a Christian and as President I will not allow Christianity to be consistently attacked and weakened, unlike what is happening now, with our current President. No leader, especially a religious leader, should have the right to question another man’s religion or faith. They are using the Pope as a pawn and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing so, especially when so many lives are involved and when illegal immigration is so rampant.

Donald J. Trump

I doubt he catches the irony of saying a leader should not question another man's religion or faith.

Old one, but funny:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Catholic Church was the prime mover behind the creation of all those sanctuary cities, too. The Catholic Church also calls for the U.S. to take in more Syrian refugees on humanitarian grounds, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

How that relates to registered voters, I don't know. Probably enough to skew any meaningful relationship to the electorate.
Are these the vast majority of Hispanics who support trump, or the other ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Interesting...

Koldfoot wrote:
Trump's been leading with Hispanics since August when, shocking, pollsters stopped reporting the Hispanic breakdown on republican polls.

Wouldn't want to disrupt the narrative.

I'm sensing a pattern here

Koldfoot wrote:
One thing I note about all these polls is that the number of undecided isn't getting reported. It always has been in the past. I'm suspicious. RSP partisans aren't.

You keep claiming that data which doesn't fit your narrative is being suppressed. That's not actually true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Interesting...

Koldfoot wrote:
Trump's been leading with Hispanics since August when, shocking, pollsters stopped reporting the Hispanic breakdown on republican polls.

Koldfoot wrote:
One thing I note about all these polls is that the number of undecided isn't getting reported. It always has been in the past. I'm suspicious. RSP partisans aren't.

You keep claiming that data which doesn't fit your narrative is being suppressed. That's not actually true.

The real suppression is Biden's poll numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edgerunner76 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Interesting...

Koldfoot wrote:

Koldfoot wrote:

The real suppression is Biden's poll numbers.

How is basic data suppressed in this age of the Internet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
How is basic data suppressed in this age of the Internet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
jmilum wrote:

Koldfoot wrote:

Trump didn't win Hispanics?

Maybe not. I never saw what the final breakdown. But he was leading in August and then the pollster stopped polling.

Who won 'em? Jeb?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Koldfoot wrote:

Maybe not. I never saw what the final breakdown. But he was leading in August and then the pollster stopped polling.

Who won 'em? Jeb?
So were these the catholic Hispanics, or the other ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Koldfoot wrote:

Who won 'em? Jeb?

The pollster? They are legion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Well, technically it is being suppressed.

...by the unforgiving, crushing, weight of reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Koldfoot wrote:

Who won 'em? Jeb?

What pollster? Melania Trump?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
jmilum wrote:

Koldfoot wrote:

Who won 'em? Jeb?

They started voting for Biden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

There is support for Koldfoot's position.

1st, he's right that there hasn't been a recent poll.

2nd, support among hispanics who no longer speak spanish is only 48% clinton vs 41% trump.

http://www.people-press.org/2016/07/07/6-hispanic-voters-and...
Quote:

Clinton holds an 80%-11% lead among Hispanic voters who are bilingual or Spanish-dominant (those who are more proficient in Spanish than English); these voters make up about 57% of all Latino registered voters. However, among the smaller group of Hispanic voters (43%) who are English-dominant – those who are more proficient in English than Spanish – just 48% back Clinton (41% would vote for Trump).

Doing the math...
80% of 57% + 48% of 43% = 66% for Clinton and 34% for Trump and other candidates which checks with the article which says...

66% for Clinton, 20% for Trump, and 13% for Johnson.

The poll was collected up to the end of June and was reported on July 7th.

I could see that Trump has surged among the 43% of pure english speaking hispanics to as high as 55% based on the 538 poll changes. Which would put him at 24% of hispanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
It is funny to see you clowns jump through hoops to avoid reality.

Trump and Hillary were in separate races? It is possible for both to win the Hispanic vote in their separate contests? Perhaps Trump got the educated Hispanic vote? We'll never know 'cause... You know.... Story lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
It is funny to see you clowns jump through hoops to avoid reality.

Trump and Hillary were in separate races? It is possible for both to win the Hispanic vote in their separate contests? Perhaps Trump got the educated Hispanic vote? We'll never know 'cause... You know.... Story lines.
The article is about his lack of support among Catholics, you then say most Hispanics are Catholic (who support Trump).

Can you not see the dichotomy there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.