Subject: Which Fighter upgrades are worth taking and which ones aren't? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Pretty much a Ronseal post this.

Over the past few weeks I've picked up a set of the 1st Wave Attack Fighters for the Dominion and the Scorpion Fighters for the Romulans, and I'm planning on getting Fighter Squadron 6 at some point in the future. Whilst most of the upgrade cards seem interesting, I'm not really sure which ones are worth taking. The Romulan ones in particular seem to be a bit tough for me to work out whether they're good or not.

Does anyone have any decent Fighter loadouts for any of the three Fighters? Are there any particularly good combos that they can run in combination with other Dominion/Romulan/Federation ships (respectively)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keep in mind that you have to field a ship with a Hull of 4+ for each fighter that you field in a fleet. Getting 6 seems a bit overkill unless you are playing 250pt+ games.

Honestly, 90% of the time when I use a fighter squadron or two in a fleet, I field them bare. They are nice enough as they are without having to spend the extra points for upgrades on them. There are a couple useful ones and a couple really good ones, but all of them are very expensive points wise. Most of the time you are better off spending those points elsewhere (like on your main ships) and running the fighters stock. They are very good as is anyway. The Romulan ones are a bit "meh" compared to the Federation and Dominion ones though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Ender02 wrote:
keep in mind that you have to field a ship with a Hull of 4+ for each fighter that you field in a fleet. Getting 6 seems a bit overkill unless you are playing 250pt+ games.

I wasn't planning on fielding all three fighters in a single fleet. I'm just looking for information on each of them individually and figured it'd be better to post a single post rather than a separate one for each of them.

Ender02 wrote:
Honestly, 90% of the time when I use a fighter squadron or two in a fleet, I field them bare. They are nice enough as they are without having to spend the extra points for upgrades on them. There are a couple useful ones and a couple really good ones, but all of them are very expensive points wise. Most of the time you are better off spending those points elsewhere (like on your main ships) and running the fighters stock. They are very good as is anyway. The Romulan ones are a bit "meh" compared to the Federation and Dominion ones though.

Which ones would you say were the useful and really good ones?

Thanks for the advice on running them bare. It's not something I considered but I may well do so when I do field them.

And I really agree on your view on the Romulan fighters. I looked through the pack and thought, "Huh... Well... It's something, I guess." Which is kind of what inspired me to make this post, to see if there was anything that I'd missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went over the basics of what I thought was useful in my review videos for the packs. You can check them out below.

Fed Fighters: https://youtu.be/3MHAn9Ce3OY

Dominion Fighters: https://youtu.be/dzOnvECFYnI

Bare is a great way to use them though. I cant think of another ship that can do so much for suck a low points cost. In the very least, they way that they take damage makes them so that they can be used to soak up a lot of incoming enemy fire and keep your opponents from concentrating on your other ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play Fed fighters too much (or Scorpions at all), but I have two main approaches to Hidekis. One is to load them up with Galor Class Phaser Banks and maybe Support Ship and have them be just as mean and powerful (and almost as expensive) as your capital ships. The other, yeah, is to run them bare; that way they're a little threatening and fairly annoying, but you're mainly using them because there's nothing better to spend your last 20ish points on.

(That said, most of the upgrades are pretty good.)

MaskedThespian wrote:
And I really agree on your view on the Romulan fighters. I looked through the pack and thought, "Huh... Well... It's something, I guess." Which is kind of what inspired me to make this post, to see if there was anything that I'd missed.

Nah, they just had the misfortune of being made while everyone was still complaining about fighters but before the anti-fighter weapons came along. Their stats are bad, their dial's not great either, but their ability is kind of cool and I guess there are two upgrades they can make use of: 1) Cloaked Fighters. Kind of a big downside to that thing, but it probably provides the best defense against the aforementioned Weapon Ports and Upgraded Phasers and such. 2) Torpedo Attack. Yeah the Hidekis and Peregrines can use this, but they probably don't want to. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, that, but the fact that it gives you a rear attack and increases your attack value is better than just the rear attack. You might want to add something to help with your dice quality though, maybe Coordinated Attack from the Fed pack (or just do a lot of come abouts?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really depends on what else youve got in hour fleet. Squad Leader works great with action captains, Flanking attack will make Chroniton torpedoes or Phased Polaron beam really nasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Coordinated Attack is one of the best for Fed fighters in my book. Extra quality never hurts, and it probably gives you one attack with TL and Battlestations, which is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't found a good reason to use Scorpion fighters yet. Shame, since I think they are very close to being flyable. Just need a few tweaks.

Coordinated Attack is the first upgrade I think of for fighters. And, if you're willing to pay the penalty, can be put on 1st Wave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with everyone about Coordinated Attack from the Fed fighters, it's almost an auto-include for them (and even for Hidekis sometimes).

While Support Ship is probably the most reliable way to enhance the long-term survivability of your fighters, I'm a bigger fan of Cover Fire, which comes with both the Fed and Dominion fighters. While Support Ship essentially gives you another full token, it'll be a copy of whatever's at the bottom, meaning it won't be all that effective. Cover Fire may be a gamble, but if you use it the first time your squadron is defending (as you absolutely should) it stands a fair chance of giving you a copy of your top token (the one with a high PWV).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.